Ernest Hemingway's at Havana

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Default Ernest Hemingway's at Havana

It is open. We went there for dinner last night. They haven't even announced their opening yet and the place was packed at 6:00. We waited 45 minutes. The customer service was outstanding and the food was YUMMY!!!!! My husband and I both had the Mahi Mahi entree and it was delicious. So was the Calamari and the Caesar's Salad. We will go again.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:54 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wilmington Ohio, bought in Hadley Village January 2009, move when we can retire

We got there about 4:45 and they told us it was an hour wait. We came home and had frozen pizza. Just too hungry to wait that long as we had a light lunch and had our first work out at MVP. But, looking forward to trying it out. The menus both looked clever without being over the top. I see it in my future....
Old 04-10-2014, 06:53 AM
Sage

We had lunch there on Tuesday.....great service and delicious food.
If you decide on a burger, do realize that they are not over cooked.
There was a slight complication with our order and apparently our server notified the manager. He immediately came to our table to let us know the charges for the delayed meal would be removed from our bill.

Diners are brought home made potato chips to munch on while waiting for their entrees. They were delicious, but I still can't quite name what they were seasoned with...

We will dine there again....and again and again!
Old 04-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Veteran member

We went there tonight at 4:30 and were seated inside immediately. There was a wait for outside. The service is professional and discrete, the happy hour drinks are very reasonable. The food was superb. I had the filet Mignon and my companion had the Cobia. Absolutely wonderful. I am so happy there is a quality restaurant in this area. We have always loved Lopez Legacy and now we have a unique restaurant with a Caribbean flair here down south. I heard they may be offering a frequent diner card like Legacy sometime in the future. Hope so. I will be frequent diner anyway. Owner John recognized my companion Peter as a "regular" at Legacy. What a great addition to our neighborhood. Bravo and well done
Old 04-13-2014, 08:28 AM

we also went...thought the prices were WAY TOOO HIGH !!!! the same dull brown decor..that has to be the most depressing place in the villages...it needs some color..not impressed !!!!! the prices are about the same as LOPEZ...but this area is NOT the LOPEZ place!!! way tooo much for what you get !!!!
Old 04-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I have eaten lunch and dinner at Hemingway's and both were very positive experiences. Excellent food and service and the price is worth for the high quality food.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Default Hemmingway's at Havana

Am very happy to say that my meal on Saturday night (petite filet) was excellent. Service was great and the place has been packed since Monday. They are still training personnel, but all went smoothly.

Very unlike too many past trips to this establishment. I hope it continues to thrive.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:05 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie01 View Post
we also went...thought the prices were WAY TOOO HIGH !!!! the same dull brown decor..that has to be the most depressing place in the villages...it needs some color..not impressed !!!!! the prices are about the same as LOPEZ...but this area is NOT the LOPEZ place!!! way tooo much for what you get !!!!
Oh Wow!!! This area not the Lopez place????? (Don't really know what that means?) I always thought, you get what you pay for!! Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
So, you are saying that the Villages around the new club like Largo and Amelia are a low income area and most of the folks who live there are on food stamps and welfare?
Old 04-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
What do you mean this is not a LOPEZ area?
Old 04-13-2014, 12:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Can't agree with you on this Annie.....the prices are a bit more expensive than you might like, but you are also getting more than you might at some of the local chains. Beef is from a particular company, is not what is used in other establishments. Chicken is hormone free. These meats and poultry do cost more.

The decor is dark, but dark colors are more typical for areas of Florida and Cuba than white wicker and pastels that we might associate with those locales.

Personally I'm thrilled to have a "fine" dining area in this part of The Villages......an improvement over what was there previously.

Last edited by pooh; 04-13-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
What did you order that you feel was way overpriced?
Old 04-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Can't agree with you on this Annie.....the prices are a bit more expensive than you might like, but you are also getting more than you might at some of the local chains. Beef is from a particular company, is not what is used in other establishments. Chicken is hormone free. These meats and poultry do cost more.

The decor is dark, but dark colors are more typical for areas of Florida and Cuba than white wicker and pastels that we might associate with those locales.

Personally I'm thrilled to have a "fine" dining area in this part of The Villages......an improvement over what was there previously.
I don't mind the prices at Havana now, but I do agree with Annie about how it is dark brown and depressing inside the dining and bar areas.

When we walked in there a few days ago I'd been hoping for a change in interior that was not so dark and creepy. When I saw the same brown, cellar looking walls, floor and interior, all I could think of was "Well, Hemingway did commit suicide".

And I disagree that dark colors are more typical of S. Florida and Cuba. The Hemingway home in Key West is anything but dark and depressing inside, as seen in these photos starting with the 4th one down:

There's a place I dream about: Writers in Key West

I was hoping the Lopez management would give it some of the interior design flare they've done at Lopez. Maybe they'll do that with time.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Sage

To each his own - I always loved the interior of Havanna - just didn't love their food so much. Looking forward to a nice dinner their in what I feel is a beautiful atmosphere!
Old 04-13-2014, 06:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post

I was hoping the Lopez management would give it some of the interior design flare they've done at Lopez. Maybe they'll do that with time.
Perhaps with all the changes they made to the kitchen they didn't have time to remodel the dining area and still open as quickly as they did. I didn't go to Havana enough to tell if they changed the upholstery and/or added the ceramics in the booths. Anyone know?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.