Hacienda Hills - Rip off of major proportions

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

I think a Good waitress should always inform the customer IF there is an upcharge for any item they order. Sometimes I say something but most of the times I consider it as a lesson learned and usually never go back.
I do try also to ask if it is extra or included before I complete my order but sometimes when I am with a group it can be forgotten to ask.
A good management would instruct their staff to always inform the customer IF there is an upcharge.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadu View Post
A good management would instruct their staff to always inform the customer IF there is an upcharge.
Upcharge from what, the menu price?
If the upcharge isn't mentioned on the menu, I agree the waiter should inform the customer.
However if it's on the menu (as was the case with the asparagus and the deluxe soup), then I think the customer should be responsible for reading the menu.

Bottom line, I don't think the HH incident was "a rip off of major proportions".
Old 12-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am mindful of the server's making a living. Last night we had a late lunch but wanted to accompany our friends for Pizza. We split a pizza at Mallory and they graciously allowed it. We have never spilt an order here before..Net, each five bucks plus drink. Wonderful server. We hope we tipped him enough to make up for our small order.

AND it was the best pizza I have had in The Villages. Mushroom and Swiss. YUM.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

One of my very good friends found out the hard way to always ask about the price. A group of us went out to dinner and the waitress came over and gave a review of the specials for the evening. She did not give the price for said specials. Everyone ordered off the menu, where most entrees were between $15 and $25 except Daisy, who ordered one of the specials. When we got our checks her eyes bugged out of her head and her eyebrows shot up into her hairline -- that "special" was $40!

I am always thankful when I get to learn a life lesson from someone else so that I don't have to actually experience the pain.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 12-06-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
If the upcharge isn't mentioned on the menu, I agree the waiter should inform the customer.
However if it's on the menu (as was the case with the asparagus and the deluxe soup), then I think the customer should be responsible for reading the menu.

Bottom line, I don't think the HH incident was "a rip off of major proportions".
A more careful review of my original post will reveal that neither of the two soups offered were identified either in the menu or by the server as "Deluxe" soup. That kind of makes it a deceptive practice, don't you think? OK, delete major proportions.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguyintv View Post
A more careful review of my original post will reveal that neither of the two soups offered were identified either in the menu or by the server as "Deluxe" soup. That kind of makes it a deceptive practice, don't you think? OK, delete major proportions.
Yes, I think the server should have informed you before she decided to upgrade your choice to the "deluxe" soup option.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:

I also think it was not a rip off BUT at the same time most people do not read every caveat on a menu as you do. I think most are just trying to decide what is appealing to them at that mealtime.
Many times as the second quoter (yabbadu) stated that when in a group one may not read the menu cover to cover and I agree that a good waiter/waitress if well taught would be kind enough to mention a difference in the price.

The food is very good there and experience in dining out is very helpful when ordering.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynsol View Post
I also think it was not a rip off BUT at the same time most people do not read every caveat on a menu as you do.
Hey Dynsol, I don't read every caveat on a menu ... I don't even know what that word means.
I've already posted agreement with the OP that the server should have informed him before she upgraded his soup choice to deluxe.
And I definitely agree with Wanda --- always ask the prices of Specials before you order one.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
What do I not understand?

If the menu stated there was an extra charge for asparagus, why should the waitress mention it?
You clearly ordered from the menu so you knew they had asparagus.
Truthfully, I have never seen a menu where there wasn't an additional charge for asparagus,
unless it stated that it was one of the vegetables that came with the entree.
"What sides can I get with this for my choices of 2 sides?" Asparagus was on the list of choices.
Side one choice. Asparagus.
Side two choice. Asparagus.
She had two sides coming with the meal. There should have been zero extra charge.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:

But the waitress included asparagus as choices of sides INCLUDED with the meal. Darn it.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudoll View Post
"What sides can I get with this for my choices of 2 sides?" Asparagus was on the list of choices.
Side one choice. Asparagus.
Side two choice. Asparagus.
She had two sides coming with the meal. There should have been zero extra charge.
Not if it says additional charge.
I see that a lot. List of sides, then it might say for $.99 substitute sweet potato fries.
If I see soup and deluxe soup, I would for sure ask what the difference is if I was concerned.
Most of us eat out a lot and see things like this all the time.
Hubby doesn't like salad, he always asks how much more for a cup of soup.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudoll View Post
But the waitress included asparagus as choices of sides INCLUDED with the meal. Darn it.
As Bonny and Bonanza pointed out, there are often sides with additional charges.
There are usually extra charges for items such as asparagus and sweet potato fries.
However Loudoll, you are absolutely right.
Darn it, if the waitiress said that asparagus was INCLUDED with the meal, there shouldn't have been an extra charge!
Old 12-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Platinum member

WOW, this thread has taken on a life of its own....all over $2.50
Old 12-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Email Reported As Spam

When conducting business in NYC I had lunch with two of my peers at a popular Deli. The menu listed beef vegetable soup. I ask the waitress if the soup was homemade. She said yes and I ordered the soup with a sandwich and fries. When the waitress left one of my peers chided me for asking if the soup was homemade stating "of course she going to tell you its homemade". whereupon I replied but then I asked and if it comes back obviously not, I can remind her I asked.

Its clear at HH if you don't ask you are going to get items that a at the higher price. A caring waitress would have ask what size. However, as for soup there is no difference between a cup and a bowl of soup in most restaurants I know I have tested it There are so many ways eateries can alter perceptions. Same issue applies with salads as it looks like there is more if served on a plate rather than a bowl
Old 12-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
WOW, this thread has taken on a life of its own....all over $2.50
The only answer, there must be a conspiracy among the restaurants!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.