Last visit to Johnny Rockets

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2015, 08:27 AM
Default Last visit to Johnny Rockets

We ate at Johnny Rockets at Lake Sumter Landing the other evening. We both ordered the "Philly cheese steak" the waiter asked if we wanted onions on it...of course it is not a real Philly cheese steak without fried onions! When we got our bill there was an up charge for "vegetables" Seriously? An extra charge for fried onions? What's next, an up charge for Ketchup? Needless to say we wont be back....they are headed for another closing.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I have to ask............................
What was managements response.
The first time around JR's was a wreck.
The new owners have worked very hard to improve customer satisfaction.
With the new ownership I have never had anything to complain about.
(Saying "I will never go back" sounds kinda silly)
Old 11-27-2015, 10:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

So, how did the menu describe their Philly cheese steak? With or without onions? If onions were not mentioned, then the up charge was reasonable given the ad don. If onions were mentioned, then you should have spoken to the manager. Given you were unhappy with the charge, your first option was to ask for the manager and give them a chance to make things right. If the manager refused, then I could see vowing to never return and posting here.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-27-2015, 10:04 AM
Platinum member

Anytime I have been to JR's they have been very busy. I've received good service and the food, although somewhat overpriced, very good. I am sure there was something in the menu which stated there would be an extra charge for the onions.

I am sorry you had a bad experience and will not return. But I doubt if they are going to be going out of business anytime soon.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:11 AM
Veteran member

i love JR.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up

Johnny's has been good to me for both Breakfest and lunch. This place is certainly a positive change from when the new owners took over 3-4 years ago. If the OP talked to "George" im certain his problem would have been resolved.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I have to ask............................
What was managements response.
The first time around JR's was a wreck.
The new owners have worked very hard to improve customer satisfaction.
With the new ownership I have never had anything to complain about.
(Saying "I will never go back" sounds kinda silly)
I TOTALLY agree with your post Bogie Shooter. The new ownership/management have done a GREAT job in turning around what was once a Lake Sumter Landing joke. The wait staff is the most pleasant in all The Villages.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Sage

Just went online and looked @JR's menu--Their description of a Philly Cheesesteak- includes choice of cheese & GRILLED ONIONS. Guess the server wasn't in the know. Make a copy-see George-wanna bet you get a free sandwich,
Old 11-27-2015, 02:58 PM
Veteran member

I eat at JR's at least once a week and have always been satisfied. I cannot think of a time that I've been there and the manager has not come by and asked how everything was going.

My suggestion to the OP is to give it another try. If you're unhappy with anything then ask for the manager.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Platinum member

Would have been easier on everyone to just ask about the charge and discuss whatbthe menu says is standard for this sandwich. Makes me think of the saying, "cut off your nose to spite your face", or something like that. Too often I have left a business upset or angry without resolving the problem.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last time I ate at JR was about a year ago and I had the Philly cheese steak. I remember it was very good because I wanted to go again, but I found good ones at Jersey's Mikes, and that's usually easier for me to go there. I think the one at JR had grilled onions and peppers, if not I would had them put on.

I know the original JR owners we had a dispute about price. We were on our LSV in 2011 and we had a JR coupon, so we ate there and gave them the coupon for 20% off or something like that. They didn't take it off, and when I asked they said the food we ordered was already on sale. Didn't make any sense to me, so we didn't go there again for 3 years.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:58 PM
Sage

JR"s village wrap is a great breakfast. Usually can't finish it because it is hugh.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-27-2015, 05:34 PM
Sage

We have breakfast there every Sunday A.M. setting on the patio whenever weather allows, otherwise inside. You can't beat the food, proportions, and price. The service is also excellent and the servers are very friendly.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

There are no Philly Cheese steaks in Florida.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by livsea2 View Post
Needless to say we wont be back....they are headed for another closing.
Sounds like you were charged for onions that should have been included. That's a mistake on the part of the restaurant.
Did you point out the menu description to the waiter when you got the up-charge?
I think it's a little strong to predict JR will close.
Even restaurants that serve teeny mice in their salads seem to survive!
Closed Thread

Tags
onions, charge, steak, philly, fried, cheese, rockets, johnny, vegetables, bill, extra, closing, headed, ketchup, needless, back, evening, ordered, waiter, landing, visit, ate, lake, sumter, asked

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.