Lopez Pool Bar

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2016, 05:17 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Apparently the reopened Oasis prices exceed the price threshold that many golfers are willing to pay. Since golfers represent a good share of the lunch and bar business, the menu may need to be adjusted accordingly. The other option is to hopefully gain new customers who are willing to pay the higher prices. Unfortunately not a good start for the new Oasis.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:26 PM
Sage

I agree with the general consensus. IMO it is worse than it was before they fixed it. It did need some new paint and TLC, but it was one of our favorite destinations after golf. It had a good happy hour, good comfort food, just what a pool bar should have (again IMO).

After I went, here is a friend's comments who lives in Calumet on the day I could not join him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another opinion

<stuff cut> ...the Oasis Bar was a disaster. Different menu and a lot more expensive. No pitchers of beer, no hard liquor, happy hour 3 -- 5, no Yeungling except in cans, Narragansett on tap for $5 per glass -- unbelievable. I will not go back there until things change, and I expect it will as the sentiment is running strongly that way. You didn't miss a thing! The physical appearance is nice, but the high tables have chairs that are nearly impossible to move once you are in place.

Last edited by ajbrown; 09-08-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:33 PM

Stopped today with our regular golf group. Always enjoyed the pool bar after our round...great wings and pitchers of beer. Now it is yuppie beer at $5 a glass and pricey burgers. The group will head for Glenview after we finish from now on.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

What I am about to write is in no way meant to be offensive, but from what I have seen while dining there, the Management really do not have a problem with whether or not you like the price. I really believe they are catering to the people who have been clamoring for high end "dining" and high end atmosphere, and for that you have to pay. You know the old saying "if you have to ask, you cannot afford it".

My first impression on entering the front door of the Restaurant was "class". Everything from the way the hostess greets you, to the way the staff are dressed, exudes "high end". The quality of the food and the ambience of the different restaurant areas is meant to impress anyone looking for a high end dining experience. Once again, for that you gotta pay!

I am sure the Pool Bar is being run on the same principle and the effect will draw people who do not have a problem with the cost and there are many of those people here. It will also draw outsiders looking to play a championship course followed by lunch in a very pleasant atmosphere. As other golfers have posted, there are plenty of alternatives to lunch at other less expensive places.

But this is just MHO!!!!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-08-2016, 08:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
What I am about to write is in no way meant to be offensive, but from what I have seen while dining there, the Management really do not have a problem with whether or not you like the price. I really believe they are catering to the people who have been clamoring for high end "dining" and high end atmosphere, and for that you have to pay. You know the old saying "if you have to ask, you cannot afford it".

My first impression on entering the front door of the Restaurant was "class". Everything from the way the hostess greets you, to the way the staff are dressed, exudes "high end". The quality of the food and the ambience of the different restaurant areas is meant to impress anyone looking for a high end dining experience. Once again, for that you gotta pay!

I am sure the Pool Bar is being run on the same principle and the effect will draw people who do not have a problem with the cost and there are many of those people here. It will also draw outsiders looking to play a championship course followed by lunch in a very pleasant atmosphere. As other golfers have posted, there are plenty of alternatives to lunch at other less expensive places.

But this is just MHO!!!!
It's a pool bar, right?!
Old 09-08-2016, 08:48 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Who is your customer

Quote:

But this is just MHO!!!!
The first thing I was taught about Marketing was to find out who your customer was likely to be. You say it's the person looking for a "high end" pool bar. I'm not saying you are wrong but from what I have observed about village residents during the last 10 years I have serious doubts that you are correct----especially given we are talking about a pool bar that also serves people who just played 18 holes of golf.

It could be that golfers are not their main customer. I am no expert and perhaps the owner has more information or a marketing study was done.

A real "high end" restaurant could perhaps make it in The Villages. Lopez's is about as "high end" as we currently have in TV. We will just have to wait and see but I wouldnt hold my breath until such a restaurant is opened. How many would buy stock in such a restaurant? Not me.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

But this is just MHO!!!!
I agree!!
Old 09-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Right now it not even a "high end" pool bar.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:

But this is just MHO!!!!

Do you understand that a pool bar is a low end fast food joint, kinda like McDonalds. No, they don't have a hostess and the front door is a sqeuky screen door adjacent to a five space golf cart parking lot. How they think that golfers will pay $15+ dollars for a burger that's 25% more expensive than most other golf course venues and a coke with no refills defies rational imagination. If you can, please tell me how a pool bar that doesen't sell pitchers or liquor is going to attract high end clientelle? Mr. John is living in a dream world.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancusa View Post
Do you understand that a pool bar is a low end fast food joint, kinda like McDonalds. No, they don't have a hostess and the front door is a sqeuky screen door adjacent to a five space golf cart parking lot. How they think that golfers will pay $15+ dollars for a burger that's 25% more expensive than most other golf course venues and a coke with no refills defies rational imagination. If you can, please tell me how a pool bar that doesen't sell pitchers or liquor is going to attract high end clientelle? Mr. John is living in a dream world.
I think Mr. John will be brought back to reality when he continues to see his weekly "take" at the new pool bar.
As always the customers ( or lack of) will determine the future direction.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:02 PM

In six months it will go under. The next lessee will buy the leasehold improvements for a faction and prices will be normalized.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:

But this is just MHO!!!!
We went there for lunch the other day and the food was pretty good...huge hamburgers. I agree the food is priced high for a pool bar and I really think they missed the mark by doing this, and not having liquor or pitchers of beer. It won't be long before it changes but I was lead to believe that this was not a lease, but actually run by Lopez.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Platinum member

I don't think the prices are any higher than inside at most of the Country Clubs, but, let's say they sell the big old burgers at a bargain price. I am sure the number of covers daily would improve, no doubt boosted by the patronage of landscaping crews. Ooops, there goes the Country Club feel of the pool. It is a Country Club pool with a bar, not a bar with a pool.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I don't think the prices are any higher than inside at most of the Country Clubs, but, let's say they sell the big old burgers at a bargain price. I am sure the number of covers daily would improve, no doubt boosted by the patronage of landscaping crews. Ooops, there goes the Country Club feel of the pool. It is a Country Club pool with a bar, not a bar with a pool.
In fifteen years, I have never seen a landscape crew eating at the Lopez pool bar, have you?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Haven't played tennis at Lopez for while? Anybody know if the court manager (cashier) is still inside. Before it was mess, noises and had to walk pass the bar to little corner in the middle of everything.
Closed Thread

Tags
lopez, bar, pool, reopened

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.