PDQ coming to Colony Plaza

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2015, 10:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
Have heard seen and visited and even talked to a executive about coming to The Villages and that particular location. I believe it will do very well here!!
Will you please visit and talk to the appropriate executive to get us a costco? Please?!
Old 06-29-2015, 11:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
Will you please visit and talk to the appropriate executive to get us a costco? Please?!
Would be happy to, but, I think in the case of Costco, size does make a difference. In the case of PDQ, it started with one email from me then 3 or 4 phone calls from them, the last being from one of the founders. They are entrepreneurial with a lean management structure, thus allowing them to move quickly.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
Never seen one or visited one or ever even heard of it.
Maybe this will help. The first location opened in Tampa in 2011. PDQ was founded by the co-founder of Outback Steakhouse and a former Tampa Bay Buccaneer executive. Some of the investors include Tim Tebow, Vinny Testaverde and Derrick Brooks. I noticed one difference from Chick Fil-A, that is the french fries. I never liked CF fries and PDQ fries look good.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 06-29-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:08 PM
Platinum member

Here is some background info on PDQ (I think it is a year or 2 old):

If Chick-fil-A and In-N-Out Burger had a love child, it might look like PDQan acronym that most folks associate with Pretty Darn Quick but, in this case, stands for People Dedicated to Quality. The double entendre is apt.

Quality refers to the fresh fried or grilled chicken tenders, fresh-cut french fries, made-to-order chicken and turkey sandwiches, hand-tossed salads, housemade sauces and dressings, fresh-squeezed lemonade, fresh-baked cookies, and handspun milkshakes. The menu is limited to ensure flawless execution, in the words of co-founder Bob Basham; the only freezer in the place is there for ice cubes.

Basham was one of the original founders of Outback Steakhouse (and served on the board of its parent, Bloomin Brands, until 2013). During his tenure, he became convinced of the potential for a concept that did for chicken what In-N-Out did for the burger. One that was fast, fresh, consistent, iconicand growth-oriented.

Obviously Chick-fil-A owned the chicken market, but we believed it could be done at a better level of quality and service, says Basham, who teamed up with Nick Reader, the CEO of his private investment firm, MVP Holdings, to launch PDQ. They bought a two-unit chain called Tenders in Charlotte, N.C., in 2009, and spent two years and several million dollars retooling the menu, presentation, trade dress and service model to open the first PDQ in Tampa, Fla., in 2011.

Now, there are 22 units in five states, with 13 more on the books for the rest of 2014, through a combination of company-owned, joint-venture and selective franchise development. Along the way, PDQ has attracted the interest of some heavyweight investor-partners, including former NFL quarterback Tim Tebow, fellow Outback founder Tim Gannon and DeBartolo Development, best known for its high-profile retail projects in Florida.

Were successful because we have great people, who believe in what were doing and can embrace the level of quality we are trying to achieve, says Basham, who is far more inclined to open units where his best people want to live than look for partners in places where he wants to open restaurants. There are plenty of markets where PDQ would be very successful, but thats not how we approach growth. Were more interested in quality growth than in fast growth.

Yet, PDQ already has outgrown its original headquarters and moved into a new $11.5 million Tampa office building with a fully operational restaurant and test kitchen and plenty of room to staff up. It also is venturing beyond chicken, announcing last month the rollout of a new better-burger and salad concept with a similarly subjective name: WTF. It stands for Wow. Thats Fresh and is slated to open this fall in Brandon, Fla.

With its tenders-focused menu, PDQ counts kids and families among its biggest fans, but the salads and sandwiches also bring in office and blue-collar workers, college students and moreeveryone from grandkids to grandparents, says Basham. Though limited, the menu supports occasions from snacks to dinner, driving an average check of about $7.25 per person and unit volumes of $2.5 million. Drive-thrus account for as much as 40 percent of sales, depending on the location, and theres a robust catering program.

The 4,300-sq.-ft. units, which reportedly cost about $3 million to build, including land, are designed for curb appeal. Drive-thrus have picture windows through which customers can glimpse prep staff punching out french fries with a hand-operated machine. With about 75 employees per store, PDQ promises a level of hospitality designed to out-service quick service. The digital menu boards are at counter height to encourage eye contact between customer and server. And instead of a speaker at the drive-thru, theres a person taking orders. Squawk boxes are not conducive to hospitality, says Basham. When it gets busy, another employee comes out with a handheld to take orders.

In fact, everything about PDQ is designed to exceed customers expectations about a fast, affordable dining experience. And so far, the strategy has been Pretty Darn Successful.

- See more at: Future 50: PDQ | Restaurant Business
Old 06-29-2015, 02:52 PM
Platinum member

Went to the one in Ocala. Fried Chicken, Fries and Shakes are not HEALTHY food items. More fast food junk.

Skip
Old 06-29-2015, 03:06 PM
Sage

La Di Da, another cheap garbage restaurant-who has to go out to eat this trash-Go to Fresh Mkt--buy better cold cuts, salads & cheese and BREAD and make a way better sandwich for less money and live longer !!!
Old 06-29-2015, 03:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
La Di Da, another cheap garbage restaurant-who has to go out to eat this trash-Go to Fresh Mkt--buy better cold cuts, salads & cheese and BREAD and make a way better sandwich for less money and live longer !!!
Last time I checked, America was still free. You go to Fresh Market. I will go where I wish to go. Less of a line for others who wish to give it a try. I don't know what gives people the right to judge what others do or eat. This high and mighty attitude is beginning to wear might thin.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I often eat at the one on 200 in Ocala. Good chicken tenders and good dipping sauce. They also serve a side dish of blueberry coleslaw that was pretty good. The place is clean and the staff is friendly, and the chicken is good. PDQ stands for people dedicated to quality (I think).
Old 06-29-2015, 07:20 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

I'm not a big fan of chicken(burned out as a kid) but I do like Chick-Fil-A sandwich. If PDQ sandwich is as good it should do well. Since the government started dictating what kids can eat in schools, kids are hungry when they come home at night. Our grandkids take their lunch now. Sorry, getting off subject.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Went to the one in Ocala. Fried Chicken, Fries and Shakes are not HEALTHY food items. More fast food junk.

Skip
Woops, I didn't know we said is was healthy, just good....sorry!!
Old 06-30-2015, 05:48 AM
Default Some information on PDQ

I tried the PDQ location in Ocala. I thought it was very good and since the placed was packed, I guess there were a lot of customers that felt the same way.

PDQ stands for People Dedicated to Quality. It's a fast casual restaurant specializing in fresh hand-battered chicken tenders, made-to-order sandwiches, daily cut fries, hand-spun milkshakes and fresh salads.

Outback Steakhouse co-founder Bob Basham and MVP Holdings CEO Nick Reader are the two principle owners of PDQ. The partners spent more than two years developing the concept behind the brand and the quality of the food and establishments. On October 30, 2011, the original PDQ restaurant opened its doors in Tampa, FL.

PDQ is founded on the concept that high-quality food, memorable service and genuine hospitality are the basis of an excellent restaurant. All menu items are made to order and they believe fresh high-quality food can be served fast, at a price you'll love.

One more thing - Restaurant Business Magazine recently named PDQ as the number 1 fastest growing small chain in America and Nation's Restaurant News chose PDQ as a 2014 Hot Concepts recipient.

My comments are not an advertisement for PDQ. I just see so many comments made by individuals - as I say shooting from the hip - that haven't done their homework. I don't work at or own a PDQ, I'm just a resident as most of you are. So when PDQ opens its doors, give it a try. I think you'll go back!
Old 06-30-2015, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Wow!
Old 06-30-2015, 06:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebfenster29 View Post
I tried the PDQ location in Ocala. I thought it was very good and since the placed was packed, I guess there were a lot of customers that felt the same way.

PDQ stands for People Dedicated to Quality. It's a fast casual restaurant specializing in fresh hand-battered chicken tenders, made-to-order sandwiches, daily cut fries, hand-spun milkshakes and fresh salads.

Outback Steakhouse co-founder Bob Basham and MVP Holdings CEO Nick Reader are the two principle owners of PDQ. The partners spent more than two years developing the concept behind the brand and the quality of the food and establishments. On October 30, 2011, the original PDQ restaurant opened its doors in Tampa, FL.

PDQ is founded on the concept that high-quality food, memorable service and genuine hospitality are the basis of an excellent restaurant. All menu items are made to order and they believe fresh high-quality food can be served fast, at a price you'll love.

One more thing - Restaurant Business Magazine recently named PDQ as the number 1 fastest growing small chain in America and Nation's Restaurant News chose PDQ as a 2014 Hot Concepts recipient.

My comments are not an advertisement for PDQ. I just see so many comments made by individuals - as I say shooting from the hip - that haven't done their homework. I don't work at or own a PDQ, I'm just a resident as most of you are. So when PDQ opens its doors, give it a try. I think you'll go back!

Ebfenster29 - thanks for the education!
Old 06-30-2015, 06:11 PM
Veteran member

Grilled chicken with salad for me. Very good.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebfenster29 View Post

I went to the PDQ website and noticed that most of your post was taken verbatim from the PDQ website. It would seem to be appropriate to cite your source. You stated that "My comments are not an advertisement for PDQ." Since they are directly from their website, they really are an advertisement.
Closed Thread

Tags
pdq, article, map, choice, tire, located, quarter, mcdonalds, todays, daily, plaza, colony, coming, sun, attached, restaurant, open, fourth

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.