Shang Hai Chinese Restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2014, 07:38 AM
Default Shang Hai Chinese Restaurant

A restaurant I can recommend if you have a yen (pun intended) for chinese food is Shang Hai. It's in the Mulberry Grove Plaza. Their description is “Chinese Food Take Out – New York Style”. I don't know the difference between NY style and any other style – I just know that I enjoy the food from Shang Hai.

You can order and then take your selection to provided tables and eat in, but there's definitely no ambiance. Much better to call in your order and enjoy it in your own home (I eat here once in a while!).

My husband's order is always “special” - no mushrooms and no green peppers. Hope I don't jinx it, but we've never opened up the container to find...whoops...they forgot. The order is always perfect.

We have our favorite entrees but also like their soups. I'm especially fond of their hot and sour (lots of “stuff” in it) and hubby loves the wonton because it comes with several wontons.

Shang Hai also uses sturdy containers and packs your order nicely: containers...sturdy brown bag...plastic carrying sack.

For those newer to the area, Mulberry Grove Plaza is in the north end of the Villages on Hwy 42. Shang Hai's official address is 9744 SE 165th Mulberry Lane. Phone is 352-751-1133. Pick up a take home menu when you're there the first time and call in future orders. By the time you arrive, it's likely your order will be ready.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The yen is Japanese, not Chinese currency.

But thanks for the tip. I'll have to give it a try.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:56 PM
Eternal Member

I will second juneroses recommendation. We always enjoy their food. My wife does not like mushrooms or broccoli and they always get her order correct. We like a side of the spring rolls for a second day lunch.

The chicken wings and pork rice makes an excellent lunch.

Z
Old 11-15-2014, 04:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

How are their spicy dishes? I got really spoiled by Hunan Restaurant in San Francisco. If the Kung Pao Chicken doesn't cause beads of sweat, it ain't quite right.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Veteran member

Shang Jai is great! Have their phone number in my phone for last minute stops. Think I'll have Chinese tonight!
Old 11-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Veteran member

redwich - just ask them to make it spicy! I ask for spicy chicken and snow peas a lot and they happily oblige.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Ok I guess this another place that has maybe improved since we tried it years ago. I thought their food was nasty as is most Chinese food around here. I have gotten their egg and spring rolls and they were ok, we added that to some oriental food I made at home.

Last edited by rdhdleo; 11-19-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:18 PM
Gold member

It is a favorite of ours. Never disappointed
Old 11-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Thank you for telling about the Shanghai Chinese Food place. I have finally found my Chinese take-out place. It's a bit of a drive for me, but it's worth it.

Everything that I have tried so far has been very good. The ingredients are fresh. Nothing has been overly greasy. I have had better egg rolls. I asked for extra spicy on the Mongolian beef and it wasn't enough for me, but that can be fixed with a few more visits.

I am finally enjoying my Chinese take-out in The Villages.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Thank you for telling about the Shanghai Chinese Food place. I have finally found my Chinese take-out place. It's a bit of a drive for me, but it's worth it.

Everything that I have tried so far has been very good. The ingredients are fresh. Nothing has been overly greasy. I have had better egg rolls. I asked for extra spicy on the Mongolian beef and it wasn't enough for me, but that can be fixed with a few more visits.

I am finally enjoying my Chinese take-out in The Villages.
The next time you pick up your order of Mongolian beef, ask for a small container of their hot oil. Then, if the beef isn't spicy enough as is, you can add the oil til it burns your throat "just right".

My husband likes spicy, too, and sometimes adds this to his food. He doesn't request it on every visit, though, because one small container is enough for several meals.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
The next time you pick up your order of Mongolian beef, ask for a small container of their hot oil. Then, if the beef isn't spicy enough as is, you can add the oil til it burns your throat "just right".

My husband likes spicy, too, and sometimes adds this to his food. He doesn't request it on every visit, though, because one small container is enough for several meals.
Thanks for the tip about the oil. I usually ask for a little plastic cup of "house" mustard.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:59 PM

Today when I picked up my Shang Hai order, the order tag was left on the bag. How interesting to see that the computer print out was in both English and Chinese (?) characters.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Sage

We got takeout from Shang Hai last week - drove all the way from Hemingway. We agreed that it wasn't any better than Colony or Evergreen
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 12-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

We like this take out restaurant. But can anyone tell me if they have changed their policy to cash only, no credit cards?
Old 12-20-2014, 07:48 PM

Anybody have any knowledge about the Chinese buffet on 466 near Ace hardware and Befalls Outlet. It says closed for remodeling but has been over a month, sometimes that means looking for a new owner. Hope it reopens very nice people and good food.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.