Square 1 (466A)

Closed Thread
Old 11-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Default Square 1 (466A)

I had not seen any reviews on Square 1 - so, I thought I would get the ball rolling.

We went there for burgers - thought about Five Guys or Mojo's, but figured we would try someplace new.

Got there, got a table right off (and were then told they were very busy and the kitchen was a bit behind - a large number of empty tables were there).

Sat down on a "wall booth/table" and commented on the cow hide that was the back of the bench seating. It looked super cool.

Menu was nothing fancy (the prices were fancy) and we ordered the fried pickles and drinks. Then, Mrs. Litespeed said that the seat was itching her back and would I take her side of the table. I of course moved - she was not kidding! The cow hair pokes right into your clothing and itches like crazy. The tables on either side of us had the same reaction to the uncomfortable seating.

Out came the burgers (before the appetizer!). Just a burger on a plate and a side dish of what turned out to be just awful cole-slaw (we, as well as the table next to us agreed that KFC has MUCH better slaw). The slaw was simply cabbage and some green bell pepper with a hint of some seasoning on it - no mayo base, no nothing.

Burgers were mediocre at best. The consensus from the man at the table next to us was "Next time I will get a Whopper Junior and fries for $5.00.

All in all - decent (albeit slow) service. Nice wait staff, nice manager. Mediocre at best food...next time, Mojo's it is.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:55 PM

We have been to Square 1 several times now, and have always been pleased with their food, good sized portions also. Nice staff, no long waits for food. It is rather pricey, especially for lunch. We'll go back!
Old 11-01-2016, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

When they opened a couple of years ago, it was a big story about this new franchise out of, I believe Tampa, that was growing fast. The first month you had to stand outside and wait 15 minutes or more for your name to be called. Some people liked them because they could take their dog on the patio. I didn't care for the burger I had for $10, much better one at Chilis for $7.98 (The Old Timer), so we didn't go back for a year.

Went a few months ago on a weekday and there was nobody there. Place felt cold inside, no music, no activity, no nothing. A week later I read in the paper that a waitress had ripped them off for a few hundred dollars. Doesn't sound like anybody was minding the store, which is how I felt and probably will never go back. There should be a lot of reviews if you searched back to the beginning.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:48 PM

Pricey and at best mediocre. Won't be back. Hamburgers are not hard to get right.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Platinum member

The burgers are round - not square.

Skip
Old 11-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Platinum member

Our golf group goes to Square 1 when ever we play in this area. Have not had a bad experience in my several visits. This is a burger place, but they have other great menu items such as pulled pork, fried mac and cheese, onion rings and milk shakes. I agree it can be a bit pricey, but no more than the country clubs.

If you want a cheap burger, get your coupons and go to Burger King.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Platinum member

They have a groupon. You get $30 of food for $15. You can use it for food and/or drinks. Not a bad deal...we love the grilled cheese with sweet potato fries.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2016, 10:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitespeedRider View Post
I had not seen any reviews on Square 1 - so, I thought I would get the ball rolling.

We went there for burgers - thought about Five Guys or Mojo's, but figured we would try someplace new.

Got there, got a table right off (and were then told they were very busy and the kitchen was a bit behind - a large number of empty tables were there).

Sat down on a "wall booth/table" and commented on the cow hide that was the back of the bench seating. It looked super cool.

Menu was nothing fancy (the prices were fancy) and we ordered the fried pickles and drinks. Then, Mrs. Litespeed said that the seat was itching her back and would I take her side of the table. I of course moved - she was not kidding! The cow hair pokes right into your clothing and itches like crazy. The tables on either side of us had the same reaction to the uncomfortable seating.

Out came the burgers (before the appetizer!). Just a burger on a plate and a side dish of what turned out to be just awful cole-slaw (we, as well as the table next to us agreed that KFC has MUCH better slaw). The slaw was simply cabbage and some green bell pepper with a hint of some seasoning on it - no mayo base, no nothing.

Burgers were mediocre at best. The consensus from the man at the table next to us was "Next time I will get a Whopper Junior and fries for $5.00.

All in all - decent (albeit slow) service. Nice wait staff, nice manager. Mediocre at best food...next time, Mojo's it is.
You sure didn't need to get the ball rolling. If you had bothered to search, you would have found reviews ad nauseum. Square 1 is a premium burger joint with some ambiance and a full bar. Pretty much like a restaurant. You might not be found of restaurants and prefer Woppers. We enjoy it and go often!!
Old 11-02-2016, 08:19 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitespeedRider View Post

Then again, I have yet to find a "very good" meal in TV (other than burgers @ Johnny Rockets - Pizza @ NYPD and what not). When a nice "fancy" dinner is the name of the game - Orlando is right down the road There is also a VERY good Indian place in Ocala.
If Mr. and Mrs. Litespeed want a very good meal in The Villages, I would suggest they try Lopez Country Club or Havana Country Club. Both are owned by the same people. The Lopez CC has the best restaurant North of 466 and Havana is the best South of 466. Both have great Happy Hours and the food and service is super at both.

Yes, Orlando is fun to drive to for special events. We do it at least once a month. We also like to go to Harry's Seafood in Ocala for a change of pace.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
If Mr. and Mrs. Litespeed want a very good meal in The Villages, I would suggest they try Lopez Country Club or Havana Country Club. Both are owned by the same people. The Lopez CC has the best restaurant North of 466 and Havana is the best South of 466. Both have great Happy Hours and the food and service is super at both.
I have been waiting to go to Lopez for some reason. I have heard nothing but great things about both that you mention. While off the topic at hand - the places at the Squares have simply not been what I am used to as for quality and taste.

A for instance, one place has Carpaccio on the menu. I mentioned to Mrs. Litespeed that "no way they have that here" - low and behold, they were out of it (at 5:30pm on a Friday). My guess is, they more often than not are out of it as that is a very high cost of food - and low sales item in this market.

When I have neighbors or guests to take out - off to the Country Clubs I will go...it simply does not yet feel right for me to dress up...and get into a golf cart
Old 11-02-2016, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

We go to Square 1 often because we like the food, atmosphere, and service. Is it pricier than some burger joints? Absolutely, but we always take advantage of Groupon deals, and now TravelZoo has them too. Groupon usually has a $8 for $16 coupon, and the last TravelZoo was $15 for $30. So, if you take advantage of these deals, I find it reasonable. At Christmas time, they usually have a "buy a $50 gift card and get a $20 card free" that we usually take advantage of too. So all in all, you can find some good deals there, and even if you don't have a coupon, you can get a free appetizer with a Buffalo card. As far as quality, I find their burgers as good as any of the other local spots, except for Palmers which is excellent, but about the same price.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:04 PM

We love Square1 I can never finish my burger they are huge, if you want cheap go to Mickey D's and eat mystery meat and roaches.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Veteran member

They have excellent quality, grass fed beef, no antibiotics, etc. Plus good dishes other than the burgers. Strawberry Salad is very good, salmon good too.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:47 PM
Veteran member

Ooh, and I forgot that at happy hour, it includes top shelf brands, not just swill
Old 11-04-2016, 01:07 AM

"You might not be found of restaurants and prefer Woppers" and 'if you want cheap go to Mickey D's and eat mystery meat and roaches". REALLY? To present the original writer with these kinds of snot-o-grams for AN OPINION seems harsh.
WHY can't one be honest and NOT GET SLAMMED? It ain't ALWAYS great and glorious.
Where did manners and respect for others go?
Thanks, to ALL, for their critiques of the restaurant, food and service.
Closed Thread

Tags
table, burgers, side, cow, tables

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.