Sweet Tomatoes Restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Sage

I finally ate at Sweet Tomatoes Restaurant. So now I understand that it's a vegetarian buffet. I wonder why no one ever said that - I mean no one ever said it was vegetarian. It's almost vegan except for ice cream and some other small items like bacon bits etc..

That doesn't mean it's totally healthy-eating; there are loads of unhealthy processed foods. It's like any other buffet: If you want to eat healthy, you have to carefully pick and choose the healthiest unprocessed items.

Personally, I think Golden Corral has a slight edge over them.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:42 PM
Gold member

Is "vegetarian buffet" the new term for "salad bar"? I don't think it approaches vegan. They have pepperoni pizza, butter, sour cream, chili, meat based soups, cheeses, hard boiled eggs, tuna and chicken salads, etc.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I finally ate at Sweet Tomatoes Restaurant. So now I understand that it's a vegetarian buffet. I wonder why no one ever said that - I mean no one ever said it was vegetarian. It's almost vegan except for ice cream and some other small items like bacon bits etc..

That doesn't mean it's totally healthy-eating; there are loads of unhealthy processed foods. It's like any other buffet: If you want to eat healthy, you have to carefully pick and choose the healthiest unprocessed items.

We're you confused on which end to start? Did they make you pay when you went back for seconds? How did they know you already paid? Did you use a coupon?
Old 05-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
I finally ate at Sweet Tomatoes Restaurant. So now I understand that it's a vegetarian buffet. I wonder why no one ever said that - I mean no one ever said it was vegetarian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
Is "vegetarian buffet" the new term for "salad bar"? I don't think it approaches vegan. They have pepperoni pizza, butter, sour cream, chili, meat based soups, cheeses, hard boiled eggs, tuna and chicken salads, etc.
They seem to offer a lot of vegetarian choices, but also turkey taco salad!

Souplantation & Sweet Tomatoes : Locations & Menus

Last edited by Barefoot; 05-03-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:54 PM
Gold member

I believe the early bird special and The Villages resident discount are about the same. At any rate, the salad is good and the soups are even better. Price includes desert. They also have pizza, breads, baked potatoes, etc. Good meal for the money.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
We're you confused on which end to start? Did they make you pay when you went back for seconds? How did they know you already paid? Did you use a coupon?
No subsequent trips are free. They know by the way you enter the line. I bring my receipt just in case they are super busy.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
I didn't see any of the above items except one soup had something in it that was supposed to be meat, according to my friend. I tried some and it didn't taste like real meat; it might have been soy. There were no hard boiled eggs, no tuna and chicken salads, etc. No pepperoni pizza. The chili didn't appear to have any meat in it. Where were the cheeses? Oh, I think there was a salad dressing that included tiny little slivers of something that resembled cheese - could have been imitation cheese.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

The tuna salad is on the line...................
Old 05-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I didn't see any of the above items except one soup had something in it that was supposed to be meat, according to my friend. I tried some and it didn't taste like real meat; it might have been soy. There were no hard boiled eggs, no tuna and chicken salads, etc. No pepperoni pizza. The chili didn't appear to have any meat in it. Where were the cheeses? Oh, I think there was a salad dressing that included tiny little slivers of something that resembled cheese - could have been imitation cheese.
Yeah, I made all that stuff up.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
I have a coupon for a 7.99 lunch so I'll be using it when I go. But I noticed they don't always have coupons in the paper.
Sign up on-line for their loyalty program and you will have all of the coupons you want!

Old 05-04-2015, 08:01 PM
Sage

Last edited by Barefoot; 05-06-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:

I would love to be able to track how much time you spend shopping, selecting, reading about and preparing food. It must be a full time job.

And God Bless you if that's what you enjoy doing and feel that it's keeping you in the best of health.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Sage

We love most all vegetables; but I would imagine the two hardest things about being a vegan is the labor involved in preparing a meal and then still feeling hungry afterward.

As it is, it's not unusual for me and/or my husband to spend two to three hours a day in the kitchen just fixing three normal meals, nothing fancy.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
They seem to offer a lot of vegetarian choices, but also turkey taco salad!

Souplantation & Sweet Tomatoes : Locations & Menus
I didn't see any turkey taco salad. I didn't see any meat dishes at all.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I would love to be able to track how much time you spend shopping, selecting, reading about and preparing food. It must be a full time job.

And God Bless you if that's what you enjoy doing and feel that it's keeping you in the best of health.
Here, I'll make it easy for you:

Shopping for food twice per week: Total time spent about 45 minutes.
Reading about health, food and nutrition etc. about 1 to 2 hour per week.
Preparing meals: About 1 & 1/2 hours per day.

Here's why people are often so wrong: Once a routine is established it doesn't require a lot of thought, same as for those who eat a poor diet routinely.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.