Did everyone downsize to one car???

Old 05-06-2024, 09:10 PM
Default Did everyone downsize to one car???

My wife and I have our lifestyle visit starting his week. We noticed most houses have only a 2-car garage. We have several cars, including a corvette, SUV, truck, and commuter sedan. We use them all. So how do we move to TV and not have to buy a 5-car garage (I don't think those even exist)? Did everyone downsize all of their cars, too, in order to move into TV? Or are there some alternatives to reasonably priced storage or extra parking areas? Any good suggestions are appreciated.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,215 Times in 2,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawthorg View Post
My wife and I have our lifestyle visit starting his week. We noticed most houses have only a 2-car garage. We have several cars, including a corvette, SUV, truck, and commuter sedan. We use them all. So how do we move to TV and not have to buy a 5-car garage (I don't think those even exist)? Did everyone downsize all of their cars, too, in order to move into TV? Or are there some alternatives to reasonably priced storage or extra parking areas? Any good suggestions are appreciated.
The Villages is a very big place, and depending where you live within the bubble, your need for anything besides a golf cart can vary greatly. Where we live in the Villages we rarely use a car and wouldn’t want more than one. Last winter/early spring in the Villages, I drove our car a couple times during January and then didn’t use anything besides a golf cart again until mid April. We have two cars and a truck at our northern home and use all three frequently when there, but it’s a totally different situation, terrain and road conditions that need to be navigated, and lifestyle. I suspect you’ll find so many vehicles won’t be necessary living in the Villages. If you still feel the need to own multiple non golf cart vehicles, there are many RV storage facilities located outside the bubble. You could probably fit two or three cars in one rented RV space.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:07 PM

I had a 2 car garage with 3 cars and a motorcycle. My stuff sat in the driveway.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:00 AM
Veteran member

One car, 2 golf carts works for us.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,479 Times in 2,556 Posts

Last time my wife and I overwintered in TV, and car rental prices were ridiculous, we returned our car and used only the golf cart for the last two months without a problem.
Saved us many $$$$$'s.
A Village full-timer, fully retired, in my mind, could easily manage with one car.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawthorg View Post
We have several cars, including a corvette, SUV, truck, and commuter sedan. We use them all.
You might USE them all down here, but I doubt you would NEED them all. Take the opportunity to simplify your life. Once you experience the fun of using a golf cart as a major part of your transport needs you'll probably decide on just a medium-sized SUV to fill in the gaps.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:13 AM
Veteran member

Found you a nice, new resale in Lake Denham with a 4 car garage. If you buy it you can give me a small finders fee.

I think it will be on the market for a while. Just my opinion.

Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale
Old 05-07-2024, 05:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,693 Times in 603 Posts

We don't golf so we kept two cars.
Many homes seem to have a 2-1/2 car garage, which could work for you if you leave one car in the driveway
Old 05-07-2024, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,409 Times in 2,410 Posts

The Florida insurance on 4 vehicles…..oh my!
Old 05-07-2024, 06:54 AM
Default several cars

We had the same problem as you just a little more severe. We looked from Bellview to wildwood to Leesburg before we found a building that was affordable for us. My hobby is building cars and I wasn't ready to give that up. Most everything near the villages is very expensive. We found a warehouse in Leesburg that was large enough and affordable for us and in a very nice area. 17 minutes from our home near Lake Sumter. There are also some larger storage units out there. You may have to get on a waiting list to get one. Look for something away from The Villages. They are out there if you search enough.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepper View Post
We had the same problem as you just a little more severe. We looked from Bellview to wildwood to Leesburg before we found a building that was affordable for us. My hobby is building cars and I wasn't ready to give that up. Most everything near the villages is very expensive. We found a warehouse in Leesburg that was large enough and affordable for us and in a very nice area. 17 minutes from our home near Lake Sumter. There are also some larger storage units out there. You may have to get on a waiting list to get one. Look for something away from The Villages. They are out there if you search enough.
Now thats a dedicated hobby. Hope it's got AC!
Old 05-07-2024, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepper View Post
I'm in the same sort of boat, we have a car here and multiple cars, toys and projects up north. We are going to make the transition soon and letting go of all my junk is difficult. I did it once before when I moved from the Midwest to Dallas, they suffer the same dinky garage syndrome there. It stinks at first but after ripping off the bandage its kind of liberating. Now I'm trying to figure out what kind of fun project car I can squeeze in a 2 car garage beside my pickup and golf cart.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

We downsized to one car. But then, we re-upsized. But it's a personal decision. If you guys both enjoy the same exact activities and stuff, one car may be fine.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,451 Times in 2,282 Posts

We get along with one car and one cart. It takes some planning at times but we make it work.

But if you want to keep all the toys you just need the right house. There’s a house on Conservation Trail for sale with a 6 car garage.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

Last edited by Kenswing; 05-07-2024 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,932 Times in 788 Posts

Do your and your wife's hobbies take you in different directions? My husband's SCORE volunteer work is now mostly by phone and email. It used to be face-to-face meetings at rec centers & library, and we needed two cars. Now we are down to one. We don't play golf, but we both play pickleball. Mostly we socialize together. My volunteer work + exercising the dogs takes me out in the car. So far we've made it work with few hassles.

My husband is a homebody, which leaves the car greatly free for me. If you socialize a lot, and/or in different circles, you'll need two cars, or one car and a golf cart.

Tags
move, cars, garage, downsize, starting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.