Movie Night

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2015, 05:06 AM
Default Movie Night

I have a movie called "The Commitments" and will host a movie night On Wednesday, Oct. 21st for those interested in seeing this film. It has a great soundtrack and is a true story. I'll have some 7 UP and Root Beer, otherwise bring your own drinks/snacks and PM me if you need directions to my house. Also, bring a chair incase I don't have enough. The floor is also an option to sit on. Also, I have a little 9 lb Havanese puppy if pets are an issue. The show starts promptly at 7:00 PM. The following is a synopsis of the film:

The Irish are the blacks of Europe, Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland, and the North Siders are the blacks of Dublin ... so say it loud -- I'm black and I'm proud!" Or so Jimmy Rabbitte (Robert Arkins) tells his slightly puzzled friends as he tries to assemble a rhythm & blues show band in a working class community in Dublin in Alan Parker's film The Commitments. Jimmy is a would-be music business wheeler and dealer, and he's decided what Dublin needs is a top-shelf soul band. However, top-shelf soul musicians are hard to find in Dublin, so he has to make do with what he can find. However, after a long round of auditions, Jimmy makes two inspired discoveries: Deco (Andrew Strong), an abrasive and alcoholic streetcar conductor who nevertheless has a voice like the risen ghost of Otis Redding, and Joey "The Lips" Fagan (Johnny Murphy), a horn player who knows soul music backwards and forwards and claims to have played with everyone from Wilson Pickett to Elvis Presley. Before long, the band -- called the Commitments -- is packing them in at local clubs. But do they have what it takes to make the big time? Based on the novel by Roddy Doyle, who also co-wrote the screenplay, The Commitments is sparked by fine performances by its young cast and enthusiastic performances of a number of '60s soul classics; the cast, who play their own instruments, reassembled the band for a concert tour after the film became a hit.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Sage

that sounds great to me, Ron, and thank you for opening your home so we can get together. i am marking it on my calendar!
Old 10-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Platinum member

I believe I have seen this movie and it was really interesting.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
that sounds great to me, Ron, and thank you for opening your home so we can get together. i am marking it on my calendar!
It has a great sound track with songs like "Mustang Sally", "Chain of Fools", and more.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Sage

just bumping so everyone sees the post
Old 10-13-2015, 05:38 AM
Sage

Get up and dance!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:07 PM
Default movie night

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpicker04 View Post
I have a movie called "The Commitments" and will host a movie night On Wednesday, Oct. 21st for those interested in seeing this film. It has a great soundtrack and is a true story. I'll have some 7 UP and Root Beer, otherwise bring your own drinks/snacks and PM me if you need directions to my house. Also, bring a chair incase I don't have enough. The floor is also an option to sit on. Also, I have a little 9 lb Havanese puppy if pets are an issue. The show starts promptly at 7:00 PM. The following is a synopsis of the film:

The Irish are the blacks of Europe, Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland, and the North Siders are the blacks of Dublin ... so say it loud -- I'm black and I'm proud!" Or so Jimmy Rabbitte (Robert Arkins) tells his slightly puzzled friends as he tries to assemble a rhythm & blues show band in a working class community in Dublin in Alan Parker's film The Commitments. Jimmy is a would-be music business wheeler and dealer, and he's decided what Dublin needs is a top-shelf soul band. However, top-shelf soul musicians are hard to find in Dublin, so he has to make do with what he can find. However, after a long round of auditions, Jimmy makes two inspired discoveries: Deco (Andrew Strong), an abrasive and alcoholic streetcar conductor who nevertheless has a voice like the risen ghost of Otis Redding, and Joey "The Lips" Fagan (Johnny Murphy), a horn player who knows soul music backwards and forwards and claims to have played with everyone from Wilson Pickett to Elvis Presley. Before long, the band -- called the Commitments -- is packing them in at local clubs. But do they have what it takes to make the big time? Based on the novel by Roddy Doyle, who also co-wrote the screenplay, The Commitments is sparked by fine performances by its young cast and enthusiastic performances of a number of '60s soul classics; the cast, who play their own instruments, reassembled the band for a concert tour after the film became a hit.
Hey Ron, sounds like my kind of movie, count me in.
Closed Thread

Tags
dublin, commitments, band, film, soul, movie, jimmy, blacks, show, bring, cast, find, top-shelf, night, called, make, long, performances, music, lips, risen, joey, ghost, redding, otis

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.