Jersey Boys - The Movie

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Veteran member

Just got back from seeing the movie at the barnstorm theater and it was crowded. Excellent movie. If you haven't seen the movie go.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Sage

Saw it last evening and I was bopping in my seat. Yes, ti won't get an academy award but I very much enjoyed it and forgave the over make up for the 1990 scene. Who really cares. The movie was great entertainment, great music, great story, hey...it was totally worth it.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Sage

I saw it, and thought it was very good. The music was great.

My friend thought it dragged a bit as they developed the characters. I thought that was the purpose of the movie, as we are all familiar with the Four Season's music.

Give me a popcorn movie anytime, as opossed to needing to figure out rocket formula's, to follow a plot.

Besides, Clint doesn't make junk!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Maybe it's because of the big build up, but I was a bit disappointed. They introduced story lines that had no basis in the story. When Valli's daughter ran away and he had his talk with her he told her to stop smoking if she wanted to be a great singer. Then he offered to get her demos with Crewe because that's what she really wanted. It seems to me that the fact that his daughter had ambitions to sing should have been introduced earlier in the movie. There were a few other instances where things just seemed to come up out of the blue.

The other thing was that whoever was doing Valli's voice was terrible. It didn't sound anything like Valli in the beginning. It did get much better as the movie progressed but initially he has an annoying scratchy sound that was hard to sit through.

It was an OK movie, but I expected better. Most of these biopics about famous people are pretty bad. This one was merely OK.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 07-07-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:23 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Like all new movies I'll wait until it comes to pay TV because if its good .....well its good and if its bad.....well it won't change my cost basis
Old 07-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Maybe it's because of the big build up, but I was a bit disappointed. They introduced story lines that had no basis in the story. When Valli's daughter ran away and he had his talk with her he told her to stop smoking if she wanted to be a great singer. Then he offered to get her demos with Crewe because that's what she really wanted. It seems to me that the fact that his daughter had ambitions to sing should have been introduced earlier in the movie. There were a few other instances where things just seemed to come up out of the blue.

The other thing was that whoever was doing Valli's voice was terrible. It didn't sound anything like Valli in the beginning. It did get much better as the movie progressed but initially he has an annoying scratchy sound that was hard to sit through.

It was an OK movie, but I expected better. Most of these biopics about famous people are pretty bad. This one was merely OK.
So, it sounds like you would agree with this review from WFPL in Louisville? Comparing the Jersey Boys Film to the Musical | WFPL
Old 07-08-2014, 11:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
So, it sounds like you would agree with this review from WFPL in Louisville? Comparing the Jersey Boys Film to the Musical | WFPL
Well, he didn't like it for different reasons, but I agree with most of what he has to say.

I also have friends from Belleville, NJ and they say that many of the location scenes were not where they were supposed to be. Many were in neighboring town. Now, if you're not from that area, you wouldn't know that, but it makes me wonder why movie makers do things like that. A diner in the town next to Belleville is more authentic than a diner in the actual town where the movie takes place? I don't get it. And, I'm surprised that Valli allowed that you happen. You would think that he'd want to give back to his home town. If they were doing the story of my life and I had anything to say about it, all the scenes would be shot in the place where the stuff actually happened.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Sage

One thing that the movie did was to get me a bit more interested in learning about The Four Seasons and that leads to more frustration about how the story was portrayed on the screen.

Nick Massi left the band in 1965 for personal reasons. He was temporarily replaced by their previous bass player, Charlse Calello who had left the frontline to become their musical arranger. After a few months, Joe Long was hired as a permanent addition to the band.

It wasn't until 1970 that Tommy DeVito left the band and quite willingly sold his shares of the corporation to Valli and Gaudio.
DeVito ended up pretty well off.

This is a far cry from the way it was presented in the movie.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Sage
Default Thumbs Up

for Jersey Boys. I saw it today, and I liked it quite a bit. I saw the stage production last year in Chicago, so there were not a lot of surprises in the movie. Until I saw the stage production of Jersey Boys last year I had no idea of the "behind the scenes" story of Jersey Boys. Another story that illustrates that fame and stardom can play a high price in one's personal life.

One of the employees at the Rialto Theatre in Spanish Springs where I saw Jersey Boys said it is rare for a movie to be playing at all 3 theatres in TV.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
for Jersey Boys. I saw it today, and I liked it quite a bit. I saw the stage production last year in Chicago, so there were not a lot of surprises in the movie. Until I saw the stage production of Jersey Boys last year I had no idea of the "behind the scenes" story of Jersey Boys. Another story that illustrates that fame and stardom can play a high price in one's personal life.

One of the employees at the Rialto Theatre in Spanish Springs where I saw Jersey Boys said it is rare for a movie to be playing at all 3 theatres in TV.
In the years I have been here since 2005 that does seem rare. Jersey Boys must be the first one to play in all three Villages' area theaters. I enjoyed it for the music mostly. I hope it does really well in the Villages in an extended run. I just saw it this afternoon at the Old Mill Playhouse in Aud., 1 I enjoy that Aud 1 the most of all the screens in the Villages. http://www.clinteastwood.net/ http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/clint_eastwood/ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000142/
Old 07-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Veteran member

I see that a new book will be coming out called "Big Girls do Cry." It is written by a woman who claims to have been in thirty year off and on relationship with Frankie Valli that started when she was sixteen.Valli also had a stepdaughter that died in an accidental fall before his own daughter died from drugs.This was never mentioned in the movie.I have mixed feeling about the movie.I particularly liked Vincent Piazza's performance as Tommy DeVito.There are lots of good clips about DeVito on Youtube.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.