Jersey Boys - The Movie

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Default Jersey Boys - The Movie

I went to see Jersey Boys - The Movie, a little concerned after reading a couple of on-line reviews, that I would be disappointed with the movie. NO WAY! The movie was great and I left with the feeling that I wanted to see it again. I would recommend it to everyone who grew up in the '50's and '60's. You won't be disappointed!
Old 06-20-2014, 06:06 PM

Your input is appreciated as we plan to see it. I can't remember a bad movie that Clint Eastwood ever directed. By the way, a bit of trivia that the first movie Eastwood ever directed was Play Misty For Me. Just reading an article that he has directed twelve movies since he turned 70. (He's 84). His secret is that he 'never let the old man in.'
Old 06-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Veteran member

Were any females in the audience crying? Because you know "Big Girls Don't Cry." Just ask "Sherry." "I'm Swearing to God" that's true. If you see it tonight,I'm sure you'll come out of the theater saying "Oh What a Night."
Old 06-20-2014, 07:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiserbud47 View Post
I went to see Jersey Boys - The Movie, a little concerned after reading a couple of on-line reviews, that I would be disappointed with the movie. NO WAY! The movie was great and I left with the feeling that I wanted to see it again. I would recommend it to everyone who grew up in the '50's and '60's. You won't be disappointed!
You confirmed my earlier post the critics didn't like it, but the audience would.

Can't wait to see it. Clint Eastwood doesn't make junk.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 06-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Platinum member

I saw Jersey Boys last night. Thumbs up. Being a huge Four Season fan in the 60's, I had seen them live five times. Three times with the original four members. I also saw the play on Broadway. I was afraid the guy who played Frankie didn't have the voice. But once the movie began, any concern about him not having the voice disappeared as I grew involved in the move and didn't notice it that much. Being quite knowledgable with music and of the Four Seasons, there were a few innacuracies but nothing to distract from a great story. I must add, even if the story was about All four members of the group, with each member having its moments, it was the Tommy DeVito character who carried the movie.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Default Jersey Boy's star singer

John Lloyd Young played the lead roll on Broadway and also is the star of the movie. Same great voice as on Broadway!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiserbud47 View Post
Thank you! Was the theater crowded? When I went see the excellent movie, "The Fault in Our Stars" at the Rialto Friday, they were selling advanced tickets to "Jersey Boys" and said they expected big crowds.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Sage

I was disappointed in Jersey Boys. I didn't love it. I think the idea of men in their 30's and 40's playing teen age boys just doesn't work. even with the dim lighting and sepia tints. Nothing wrong with Clint's directing - it just didn't look right.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 06-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,347 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I was disappointed in Jersey Boys. I didn't love it. I think the idea of men in their 30's and 40's playing teen age boys just doesn't work. even with the dim lighting and sepia tints. Nothing wrong with Clint's directing - it just didn't look right.
They are that old???
Old 06-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
They are that old???
John Lloyd Young will be 39 next month. I thought he did a great job playing a teenage Valli. As did 38 year old Vincent Piazza as a young DeVito.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Sage

‘Jersey Boys’: Should Clint Eastwood Have Replaced the Broadway Cast? | Variety
Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 AM

Just saw Jersey Boys and did really enjoy the movie. Not Oscar material but none the less very entertaining. Didn't mind old men playing young boys and since I haven't seen the play had nothing to compare. Was worth the price of admission.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:55 PM
Sage

six of us went to see it sunday afternoon (yes theatre still crowded) and all enjoyed it...the only thing a bit off was the makeup for the 1990 scene...they would not have been as old as they made frankie valli look...i figure they would have been in their late 50's then? i think they all looked good as teens and acted very well... the film was great and the music fantastic! a fun afternoon.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

My wife and I saw it Sunday at SS. There was a pretty big crowd in the theater We absolutely loved it.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:39 PM

My wife and I saw it yesterday afternoon at LSL and the theater was pretty crowded - only open seats were in the first few rows on the floor.

We both thought it was a really good movie and we're glad we went to see it. I don't know if any "big girls" were crying, but some of the songs brought a tear to my eye - a lot of memories.

If you are a fan of the Four Seasons, it is definitely worth seeing. Oh...... and stay seated for the "production number" at the end. My guess is that came straight from the Broadway play.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.