TOTV Moderator(s)

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Administrator
Default TOTV Moderator(s)

The Talk of the Villages has grown to over 1,200,000 page views and over 100,000 visits every month. In an effort to help bridge the gap in the learning curve as new owners and to hold us as new owners accountable to maintaining and growing the site as it always has, we have enlisted several TOTV users as moderators. Several will be anonymous moderators that will help as a sounding board for issues, research for ideas, and general housekeeping of the site.

User Faithfulfrank has been listed as a public moderator to help as he has many years experience as a moderator on a much larger board and has been on TOTV for over 3 years. He will be active in helping me with site maintenance and issues. Please feel free to private message either one of us if we can ever assist you or email me with any questions at talkofthevillages@gmail.com.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Sage

Bump
Old 08-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

It's about time this site had moderators!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
It's about time this site had moderators!
What about Tony? I thought he did an outstanding job. When he had a problem with a post it was addressed with a private message, and you were able to come to an agreement quickly.

I thought Tony did a great job, and he had a great sense of humor. I kind of miss him.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Sage

Richie, I own a parenting board. It is basically run by moderators. I interfere only when there are major issues. Moderators have a vested interest because they are members of the board and care what happens. Moderators want to protect their board and the direction it is going. Owners are frequently too emotionally involved either because of financial issues or emotional involvement in their baby. I'd suggested to the previous admins that they get moderators when I first joined. Glad to see it is finally happening even though I'm not a fan of "secret" moderators.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Richie, I own a parenting board. It is basically run by moderators. I interfere only when there are major issues. Moderators have a vested interest because they are members of the board and care what happens. Moderators want to protect their board and the direction it is going. Owners are frequently too emotionally involved either because of financial issues or emotional involvement in their baby. I'd suggested to the previous admins that they get moderators when I first joined. Glad to see it is finally happening even though I'm not a fan of "secret" moderators.
How do moderators have a "vested" interest? Most moderators usually work for free? What I liked about the previous admin was how they kept it clean from free advertising. I think businesses should contribute to TOTV.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:42 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
What about Tony? I thought he did an outstanding job. When he had a problem with a post it was addressed with a private message, and you were able to come to an agreement quickly.

I thought Tony did a great job, and he had a great sense of humor. I kind of miss him.
I thought Jan was fair and balanced, but Tony would scold folks openly for reasons that seemed more personal to him than of interest to the well being of the board. Perhaps you and he had similar personalities. Anyway, they were both good people, but I do see an improvement in the way the forums are being managed now and especially the Political forum. Just my observation.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagegolfer View Post
How do moderators have a "vested" interest? Most moderators usually work for free? What I liked about the previous admin was how they kept it clean from free advertising. I think businesses should contribute to TOTV.
Most moderators really do feel that a chat board is their board and want to make sure it stays clean, friendly, caring, argumentative, obnoxious -- whatever the board was when they first joined. They've invested time and energy into keeping the board the way they perceive it. Therefore, they have a "vested" interest.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

What Does Vested Interest Mean?
1. The lawful right of an individual or entity to gain access to tangible or intangible property now or in the future. A vested interest is an entitled benefit, which can be conveyed to a separate party. There is usually a vesting period before the claimant can gain access to the asset or property. Due to the right of ownership, the benefit can not be taken away i.e. the vested funds are not contingent on any action or inaction.

2. A financial or personal stake one entity has in an action, separate entity or commitment, with the expectation of realized benefits in the present or the future

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/v/...#ixzz1WKHzcwx4

An advertiser here would have a vested interest here at TOTV because he or she has money invested in the success of this venture.

Last edited by villagegolfer; 08-28-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Added more
Old 08-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagegolfer View Post
What Does Vested Interest Mean?
1. The lawful right of an individual or entity to gain access to tangible or intangible property now or in the future. A vested interest is an entitled benefit, which can be conveyed to a separate party. There is usually a vesting period before the claimant can gain access to the asset or property. Due to the right of ownership, the benefit can not be taken away i.e. the vested funds are not contingent on any action or inaction.

2. A financial or personal stake one entity has in an action, separate entity or commitment, with the expectation of realized benefits in the present or the future

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/v/...#ixzz1WKHzcwx4

An advertiser here would have a vested interest here at TOTV because he or she has money invested in the success of this venture.
Sounds like splitting hairs to me! Is there no one to fight with in Political?

Xavier
Old 08-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
Sounds like splitting hairs to me! Is there no one to fight with in Political?

Xavier
Old 08-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Administrator

The former owners did not want to participate in a moderator role.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Most moderators really do feel that a chat board is their board and want to make sure it stays clean, friendly, caring, argumentative, obnoxious -- whatever the board was when they first joined. They've invested time and energy into keeping the board the way they perceive it. Therefore, they have a "vested" interest.
Well said, Red. I've been a member of another board for 11 years and a moderator on that board for probably 10. It's not always the easiest job, there are things that must be done that members aren't aware of. The moderator reads just about all the posts, whether they're of interest to him/her or not. Spammers delight in posting on many boards, sometimes providing links that can be nasty, vile, hide infectious virus programs, etc. and these have to be removed. There are also some who come and "slam" the board with post after post after post. Had a poster from Finland that spent days just posting one thing after another. Kept three moderators busy for an entire week. We three were in different time zones so when one stopped for the night, another could take over.

Moderators have friends on the message boards and being fair and doing what is best for the board sometimes ruffles feathers...but in the long run, things settle down, people write, argue, joke and agree or disagree and the board continues on. Life is filled with changes...some bad, but many good, even if we can't see the good part for a while. It's a job with no pay, frustration at times, but is something done to help keep a board that is loved and enjoyed by members and moderator alike, functioning smoothly.

Pat

Last edited by pooh; 08-28-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
The former owners did not want to participate in a moderator role.
Does this mean that we won't see the likes of "Agnes" again???
(Sorry, I just couldn't resist!)

IMHO, whatever is happening now with the new owner is wonderful.

Keep up the good work....owner, moderators, etc.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Platinum member

Moderating must, at times, make one feel like Miss Francis (from Ding Dong School.... memba her?)
Thank you from me.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.