San Antonio Riverwalk

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Default San Antonio Riverwalk

Has anyone been to San Antonio, TX to the Riverwalk? We are interested in going and would like recommendations for hotels, restaurants and site seeing trips. Thanks, Kathy
Old 09-03-2015, 05:23 PM
Gold member

Go when they have the Christmas Parade of boats and all the trees are lit. Beautiful.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

May want to move this to the Travel Forum.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-03-2015, 05:53 PM

Good idea.....how do I move it?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Platinum member

You can find lots of info online. Frankly, I was a bit disappointed in it. Water is dirty and lots of loud bars line the river walk. I wasn't there at Christmas. I would think it might be impressive decorated with Christmas ornaments and lights. JMHO.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
You can find lots of info online. Frankly, I was a bit disappointed in it. Water is dirty and lots of loud bars line the river walk. I wasn't there at Christmas. I would think it might be impressive decorated with Christmas ornaments and lights. JMHO.
We didn't get in the river,but we enjoyed a few of the loud bars.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

We were there in 1968 during the Hemis-Fair (I think that was what it was called) and it was beautiful then. We stayed in a hotel right across from the fair and on the river. Whoa, that was many moons ago and things change. We always planned to go back---but it is way down on our bucket list because we were there once.

Let us know how it is today if you go. AAA should be able to help.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

We stayed at the Omni Mansion right on the river and about 1/4 miles from The Alamo.

Hotel might be a bit pricey but was great. I would perhaps suggest using that as perhaps a benchmark regarding area to stay near.

We were there during the Christmas decoration time and parade of boats. Was great
Old 09-03-2015, 08:18 PM

I went as a travel writer back in the 90's. I went during the Christmas season. I loved the downtown street markets, riding a tourist boat down the riverwalk, and listening to the nighttime caroling. I was never bored. We stayed at a hotel on the riverwalk, but I don't remember the name. It was within walking distance of the Alamo, which was a disappointment. It's so small! And across from fast food venues. That didn't seem right. I would do it again if given the opportunity.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:12 AM
Sage
Default riverwalk

We have been there 2 times. Really liked it both times. Love the ride down the river. It has been at least 10 years since we were there so things may have changed since then. I would go on TripAdvisor: Read Reviews, Compare Prices & Book and type it in the search boxes. In the search at the top under "where are you going" - type in San Antonio, TX. Under "what are you looking for" type in River Walk. Tons of current reviews of river walk. Then change "what you are looking for" to Riverwalk Hotels and tons of those will come up. I saw many reviews on there as late as yesterday.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:30 AM
Sage

We were there Christmas before last. It was very cold but we enjoyed the boat ride at night with all the lights. Many years ago we stayed at La Mansion when it was more affordable. The suggestion to look for hotels and restaurants is a good one.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:32 AM

Great! Thank you! We are looking into going in April 2016. I've sent for a book on The Riverwalk from Chamber of Commerce. I'll check out Trip Advisor reviews. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:27 AM
Sage

We stayed in a timeshare right on the river walk about 5 years ago. It was very fancy. There was some kind of rodeo going on and the cowboys added to the ambiance. We saw to a bull riding event. There's some jazz music at a spot featured on NPR and a theater that's pretty old with acts like they have in the grand old opry as I remember it. I think it's a great place for a vacation when the weather is cool.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:54 AM

Stay at the Hyatt on the river walk. Beautiful hotel across from the Alamo. Any of the restaurants on the river walk are great. Spent many Thanksgiving's visiting San Antonia. Planning a trip back soon.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:04 PM

Great city to visit...we stayed at the Marriott there...very close to all of the attractions. recommend not visiting in summer....WOW thought the heat in Florida was bad but this took your breath away...grins.....we were there in August...ugh
Closed Thread

Tags
san, antonio, riverwalk, hotels, recommendations, restaurants, kathy, trips, site, interested

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.