Share your "Packing Light" travel tips

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Sage

I once worked in the travel industry. I was surprised at how often people pack prescription meds in a suitcase, and how many suitcases go astray.
Be sure to pack any medications you need in a carry on bag.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:42 PM

Make sure your MEDS are in a container with its name ( preferably not generic name) and dosage! If you do need to refill in an emergency it is VERY helpful . If you need a CpAP on a cruise, bring it or call cruise line ahead of time to get distilled H2O ordered. It is always wise to bring a list of MEDS,dosage ,how often and include in this sheet your health conditions and allergies. Date of birth And blood type too!
You or significant other can whip it out instead of trying to remember when under stress.
When I travel with a friend I ask to have the above info for them placed .
All info this is in sealed envelope but ready in purse when off shore or touring.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Gold member

I, too, travel with Ziploc bags. My aunt uses the Space Saver bags and packs her clothes in them.

I always have my med list with me that also includes my latest shot records and allergies.

I buy 2" x 3" plastic bags and put my meds in them -- a small bag for every morning, every noon and every night. I also have my daily fiber allotment in small bags. I put all the little bags in a Ziploc bag. I toss the little bags when I'm done with them. I take a few extra days of my meds.

A little off topic but--

I typed up my emergency contact information (on a small piece of paper) and put it in front of my mother's driver's license. It has my name, home phone number and cell phone number on it.

I make a copy of my driver's license, insurance cards, passport and credit cards and put it in the bottom of my suitcase. (When I was in China, a person in our group lost (??) her purse and she needed this information!)
Old 09-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
I pack for two weeks in a nap sack. One pair each,skirt, short, pant. 8 tops. All mix and match. Wear casual shoes and pack dress. All can be washed and hang dry in few hours. Traveled for a living so got it down pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I love the idea of traveling with one knapsack.
But how on earth can you get a dress, eight tops, a shirt, shorts, a pair of long pants, underwear, pajamas plus cosmetics in one knapsack?
I'm still waiting for the Legges to tell me how to pack all this stuff into one knapsack each.
Seriously I would love to know.
I'm the traveler with three suitcases who can never find anything because I packed too much stuff!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Default Knapsack

The way to travel with a very small suitcase or knapsack is to roll your clothes instead of folding them. There are videos on YouTube. It helps if the clothes are a synthetic blend or wrinkle-free cotton. Miniaturize your cosmetics. I go on week-long business trips with a soft-sided carry-on and a tote using this method.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'm still waiting for the Legges to tell me how to pack all this stuff into one knapsack each.
Seriously I would love to know.
I'm the traveler with three suitcases who can never find anything because I packed too much stuff!
Bare, have you seen some of the knapsacks recently? Eddie Bauer has some you could stash a Christmas tree in.

When you get back here, go to PBS and watch the travel show "Globetrotter." You'll see!
Old 09-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Bare, have you seen some of the knapsacks recently? Eddie Bauer has some you could stash a Christmas tree in.
When you get back here, go to PBS and watch the travel show "Globetrotter." You'll see!
CFrance, we have PBS here in Canada, I'll have to check if we get "Globetrotter". (We also have Eddie Bauer stores.). :
I'm just wondering if you are permitted to take a huge stuffed knapsack on an airline as a carry on.
I adore travel organizational cosmetic holders and that kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkmaine View Post
The way to travel with a very small suitcase or knapsack is to roll your clothes instead of folding them. There are videos on YouTube. It helps if the clothes are a synthetic blend or wrinkle-free cotton. Miniaturize your cosmetics. I go on week-long business trips with a soft-sided carry-on and a tote using this method.
I agree pbkmaine. That's the way I travelled for years on business.
However now it appeals to me to just jam everything into one knapsack.
Simplifying life and all that.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

Barefoot, check out this link for what to pack into a knapsack. She gets all of the items on that list into the backpack on her back! Amazing ! Also, watch some Rick Steve's videos, he has great packing light ideas. Rolling the clothes really saves tons of space. There are many videos out there on how to roll your clothes.

. https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-ti...ing-list-women
Old 09-07-2014, 05:08 PM

Try " Smart Traveler" and " Packing Pro" apps for ideas. Smart Traveler gives Your selected countries alerts and warnings by US Government . Check out sites; CDC and WHO ( World Health Org) for health and medical concerns around the world . Always good to check what,were things are happening that may not be in the newspapers as yet.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Sage

Check out johnnyjet.com for all kinds of traveling advice.

[off topic]
I am also a big fan of Rick Steves. When we went to Italy I bought his book and followed it to the letter including the hotels he picked out. I made sure the front desk knew that Rick Steves told me to stay here. He said to buy Rockport shoes too. I also downloaded his audio tours and listened to them as I was seeing the sites in Venice, Florence and Rome.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayschic View Post
Barefoot, check out this link for what to pack into a knapsack. She gets all of the items on that list into the backpack on her back! Amazing ! Also, watch some Rick Steve's videos, he has great packing light ideas. Rolling the clothes really saves tons of space. There are many videos out there on how to roll your clothes.
. https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-ti...ing-list-women
Thanks Rayschic. I wish the website showed a video of her packing all that stuff into her backpack.
I will definitely consult Rick Steve before I pack again.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I'm sorry, but I think Rick Steves looks ever so slightly like a slob when he travels. People should show respect to another country when traveling by dressing up a little.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.