Share your "Packing Light" travel tips

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2014, 05:47 AM
Veteran member
Default Share your "Packing Light" travel tips

Mine is to pack black slacks/shorts/skirts so that I only have to take one or two pairs of black shoes.

Also - a long sleeved silk tee shirt is a must for layering when need to prepare for varying temperatures.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:24 AM
Gold member

If it wont fit in a weekender bag, its not going I only take black and white clothing which is interchangeable. Pack one pair of red dress shoes and very small red pocket book to give monochrome black/white a bit of glam, and two dramatic lightweight wraps for the same reason.Travel in old sneakers which I discard, wearing better shoes on the return trip. All items, hand washable. Voila
Old 08-30-2014, 08:06 AM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

I also tend to travel with black clothing. My "little trick" is to travel with several colorful scarfs. I wear them around the brim of my hat, as a belt or around my neck. It makes it look like I have a different outfit each day/evening. Scarfs weigh nearly nothing so they are even better to travel with than jewelry. Also, new scarfs are my "go-to" gifts when I need to bring a gift home for friends....because they are so lightweight.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 AM

I buy Exofcio underwear thru Travel-smith catalogue on sale online. They wash like a dream & fast..I also buy their non wrinkle black stretchy material (mix n match ) separates. I have a light raincoat/ jacket that rolls up.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:55 AM
Sage

Rolling up clothing is a big space saver!!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-30-2014, 08:58 AM

Wow! Thanks for the great tips!

Old 08-30-2014, 10:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Always travel by car and take everything but the kitchen sink.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Platinum member

I had a friend who used to take all her underwear that was getting worn and just toss it after she wore it.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:07 AM

Forgot most important thing.....Do not take new shoes!! Wear shoes you intend to take for at least a few weeks to prevent blisters and being stuck with only unwearable shoes. Black or brown( depending on your color voice of clothing) in a low heel or ergonomically correct flat get you through any long walking tours. If on a cruise, again 1 color of shoe to match your clothing,closed toe,tennis or ballet flat for for walking on uneven or dirt paths on shore. Sandals can be squeezed in because they do not take up much room. I bring 1 pair if Low or kitten heel fancy for dressy dinners.
I have bought sandals on shore for cheap but they do not last too long because they are flimsily attached.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

I travel a lot and I do all of the above mentioned suggestions, my favorite being to roll all the clothes. On my last trip they lost one of our suitcases. We always have two small suitcases. One of my favorite packing tips that I always share with other travelers, is that each of our two suitcases is filled with half of my clothes and half of my husbands clothes. That way, when they lost one suitcase, we both still had clothes to wear. I also always pack one bathing suit and a pair of shorts in a very small carryon. That way, if they lose both of our suitcases, we will be at the pool enjoying an iced cold beverage while they sort it out.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

I pack for two weeks in a nap sack. One pair each,skirt, short, pant. 8 tops. All mix and match. Wear casual shoes and pack dress. All can be washed and hang dry in few hours. Traveled for a living so got it down pat
Old 08-31-2014, 06:34 AM
Location: Formerly Village of Gilchrist, now Pensacola Villas

Ziplock bags are your friend! Push the air out of them. Underwear in one, scarves in another. Can fit a couple of tshirts in another.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:50 AM
Gold member

SO, wish we had a "like" icon as there are some fabulous tips in all the above. Especially admired the sharing of two suitcases along with shorts/bathing suit. Great ideas, don't ya love TOTV.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
I pack for two weeks in a nap sack. One pair each,skirt, short, pant. 8 tops. All mix and match. Wear casual shoes and pack dress. All can be washed and hang dry in few hours. Traveled for a living so got it down pat
I love the idea of traveling with one knapsack.
But how on earth can you get a dress, eight tops, a shirt, shorts, a pair of long pants, underwear, pajamas plus cosmetics in one knapsack?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

Another idea -- hubby and I will pack some clothes that were intended for our next Goodwill bag. We will wear on trip and toss along the way. Actually, several hotels in Spain have clothing donations bins nearby, so apparently many people are doing this.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.