Apple Roses with my granddaughter

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2015, 10:32 AM
Default Apple Roses with my granddaughter

The Villages Florida

Our daughter and her family visited this week and our 11-year old granddaughter assembled these apple roses for our dessert. I had seen the recipe on the internet and knew it was something she would love to do with Grandma!
Old 10-18-2015, 07:18 PM

WOW!! THAT IS AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing.. looks Delicious...

Hey.. in case everyone on TOTV wants the recipe.. I put a link from Utube on how to make them..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP2iHulDRAA
Old 10-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Sage

They are just beautiful and what a great youtube tutorial.

I'm sure she will remember it always----you are my kind of grandma.
thank-you for sharing
Old 10-18-2015, 09:26 PM

I made them last weekend for hubby's birthday. Yours look much better than mine. Aren't they great!
Old 10-19-2015, 02:51 AM

Thanks....mine were a bit simpler to make than your tutorial, bmac007. I used purchased puff pastry, apples sliced with my mandoline and a bit of Sprite as a way to keep the apple slices from darkening when I softened them by heating in the microwave. This was the third time I've made them so I've had a chance to make adjustments along the way to make it easier for myself. Next time I make them I'm going to try to make them in mini muffin tins, half the size, to take to our community 'patio party'.

And our granddaughter DID have a wonderful time helping. She wants to make them with her mom (our daughter) when they go to the 'other' grandparents' for Thanksgiving. It will be an impressive food gift for the grandma who doesn't cook!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:07 AM

These are just beautiful. What variety of apples did you use? Can they be made ahead? Thank you
Old 10-19-2015, 08:18 AM

Very nice. Making memories!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipcovers View Post
These are just beautiful. What variety of apples did you use? Can they be made ahead? Thank you
Thank you. I used small red delicious apples for their color and stability when cooked (they don't 'mush down' like a Jonathan apple would).

I heated 2 Tbsp. of Apricot Jam with 1 Tbsp. water (to thin) and stirred together and allowed to cool. I rolled the thawed puff pastry sheet out to approximately 12" X 16" and cut into 2" strips, ending up with 8 strips of pastry. I use a pizza cutter to cut my strips ~ easier than a knife.

The apples got cut in half and cored, then sliced thin using my slicer (a V-slicer or mandoline works fine, but you can just as well slice with a sharp knife). I sloshed the slices around in some Sprite (instead of lemon water) to deter the slices from browning, then drained them and placed them on a plate in a single layer....oh, I worked with one apple at a time...., covered the plate with plastic wrap and microwaved on high for 1 minute just to soften the slices a bit.

I spread the thinned apricot jam down the center of a strip and then lined the apple slices along one edge, overlapping the slices. The strip then got folded up over the slices and the strip was rolled up like a jelly roll. Place in a non-stick muffin tin (no greasing necessary because the puff pastry has plenty of butter).

Bake at 350° for 35 - 40 minutes or until the center registers 200°-210° when tested (or when they look lightly browned). Allow to cool for a few minutes in the pan and then remove to a rack to cool completely.

I've made them as much as 1 day ahead, but are better if served same day.

Here's a link to the web site I first saw them on....but there are lots of examples if you go looking:

Cooking with Manuela: Apple Roses

I've adjusted her instructions with some changes of my own.
Closed Thread

Tags
roses, apple, granddaughter, knew, internet, recipe, grandma, love, family, visited, daughter, week, dessert, assembled, 11-year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.