Advice for Whole house Water Conditioning system

Old 05-10-2024, 05:47 PM
Default Advice for Whole house Water Conditioning system

Ok so when the sprinklers are on my black car gets coated with white spots. They are hard to get off. I obviously need something done with the water in my house and sprinklers. I understand having a 1999 house it is all the same system. The water also stinks like chlorine and the glass shower doors get to be a mess if you dont keep on top of squeegeeing them.
I cant imagine I am the only one in the villages who has this problem. What do you all use? What suggestions do you have. What company is honest and reliable. Thanks Bud
Old 05-10-2024, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,543 Posts

Yes! You need a system. There are many companies that provide several different types of services. Suggest you talk to your neighbors. Those near you. They will likely be your best bet for finding what works best in your neighborhood. Jmho.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,413 Times in 2,413 Posts

Check HD & Lowe’s for their systems. Do some research on their models reviews.
You will save LOT of dollars and have a working whole house soft water system.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,299 Posts

I agree with above, we installed a Sears Water softener and Sears whole house filter, (over 10 years ago) water is great. Sears is gone, but there are some good replacements, and they now have combo units. I still do not understand the drainage requirements for these units, so I would suggest using a licensed plumber for the installation. In the meantime, you might want to see if you can adjust your irrigation, so it does not spray in the driveway area.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:17 PM

Call Nova Filter. (352) 566-2649
Old 05-11-2024, 05:56 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,856 Times in 3,690 Posts

Pelican is the best.

US Water Systems purchased Pelican.

US Water Systems

There are cheaper brands, many Villagers have purchased.

The key word is cheaper.

Good Luck.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,360 Times in 742 Posts

ALL water softeners are ion exchangers. Anyone is entitled to an opinion but physics don't care about opinions. It will not matter if you buy the cheapest or most expensive water softener.

I have two homes with water softeners. One came with a Pelican while I installed a home depot one in the other. Zero difference in how soft the water is or my interface with the machines. https://www.homedepot.com/p/AQUASURE...48FM/311531700 here is a more compact one for 499.00
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Pr...HS42/314448288

Last edited by Toymeister; 05-11-2024 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Added links
Old 05-11-2024, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,341 Times in 4,337 Posts

/// Misread initial post...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-11-2024, 02:15 PM

I installed an AquaSure 32,000 grain water softener and a whole house water filter. Water hardness is now between 50 and 75. No more water odor issues or chlorine taste. Purchased at Lowe’s. Simple DIY project.

Last edited by Nevinator; 05-11-2024 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbud View Post
Ok so when the sprinklers are on my black car gets coated with white spots. They are hard to get off. I obviously need something done with the water in my house and sprinklers. I understand having a 1999 house it is all the same system. The water also stinks like chlorine and the glass shower doors get to be a mess if you dont keep on top of squeegeeing them.
There are two water lines going into each property. One goes into the house and is potable water. Because it has some chlorine in it, many folks prefer to use additional filtration systems, whether it's something like a Brita filtered pitcher, a filter for drinking water by the kitchen sink, a whole-home filtration system like one from Nova (my preference) or a water softener. The other line delivers non-potable water and is used only for the lawn irrigation system. While I could easily be wrong, I know of no filtration systems being offered in The Villages to handle the irrigation water. By the way, the outside spigots for hoses pass the potable water, NOT the non-potable water.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,860 Times in 5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
There are two water lines going into each property. One goes into the house and is potable water. Because it has some chlorine in it, many folks prefer to use additional filtration systems, whether it's something like a Brita filtered pitcher, a filter for drinking water by the kitchen sink, a whole-home filtration system like one from Nova (my preference) or a water softener. The other line delivers non-potable water and is used only for the lawn irrigation system. While I could easily be wrong, I know of no filtration systems being offered in The Villages to handle the irrigation water. By the way, the outside spigots for hoses pass the potable water, NOT the non-potable water.
To clarify:

Some of the older houses use potable water for irrigation. They don't have separate water lines.

Also, you can buy a filter for the irrigation line, mostly to filter out dirt and grit that can clog the sprinkler nozzles.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,032 Times in 1,024 Posts

Pegasus, found on 301 in Wildwood, near the Ace Hardware store
Old 05-12-2024, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,998 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbud View Post
I cant imagine I am the only one in the villages who has this problem. What do you all use? What suggestions do you have. What company is honest and reliable. Thanks Bud
If you’re irrigation on potable water that usually separate line teed before enters house? So that would be hard to soften the water or feasible. I would adjust sprinkle heads or put different nozzle so don’t spray car or parked car where it don’t get sprayed? IMO any water spots dried on black car hard to get off.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,998 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
Only is newer areas district 1 through 4 maybe more I think all on potable water for homes. So there only one water line leading to house.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:37 PM

Two things I would consider:
1) while most units use sodium chloride to regenerate, some use potassium chloride which is much more expensive. I see no reason to purchase a unit that uses potassium chloride.
2) If you are away from your home for long periods of time, consider a system that has dual tanks and regenerates based on the volume of water used rather than time based. Kinetico used to make systems like that performed very well in my home up north.

Finally, think carefully about where the drain tube is placed. Concrete doesn’t do well with sodium chloride over the long haul.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)

Tags
house, water, sprinklers, system, imagine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.