Anybody know? why is it everytime a emt is called to a home.....a firetruck FOLLLOWS?

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2014, 09:24 PM
Default Anybody know? why is it everytime a emt is called to a home.....a firetruck FOLLLOWS?

why is it everytime a emt is called to a home.....a firetruck FOLLLOWS???? i can see that at a car accident (gas problems)..but why a home call??
never seen that done anywhere else...sometimes they don't even get out of their truck....seems like a waste of gas and time....anybody know???? a neighbor of mine had a small heart attack...and THERE was the firetruck also ????
Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

As I understand it each vehicle in a station carries an EMT and the necessary equipment that would be found in the EMT vehicle. This assures that a qualified EMT is on site and reduces the response times if the emergency EMT vehicle is on another call. They don't have to wait or have a response from an area farther away. Outside the dome there is a more specialized approach, EMT for health, fire trucks for fire and hazards. That's my understanding and I'm sure there are those here that have more knowledge.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Platinum member

Most of the time the fire truck arrives first. They are also trained Para-Medics. They supply the medical attention until the ambulance gets there. Recently a friend was saved the the firemen and it took the ambulance 20 minutes to arrive. Lighten up, you may need them one day.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:14 PM
Sage

It's not only here that happens. South Florida, too.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Platinum member

We have been in Florida for awhile (Miami, Tampa and now The Villages) and asked the same question when first noticed it. It makes sense now that I realize EMT/PM are on the firetrucks as well.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:09 PM
Veteran member

state policy, they do it in Jax too
Old 12-16-2014, 11:10 PM

Another simple reason for the addition of the firetruck is for additional help. The ambulance usually has 2 employees on board. At least one of them is a paramedic. There are numerous senerios where you need more than just 2 people---lifting help, restraining help if the patient is unruly or thrashing, You either need to protect the patient from themselves, or protect you from them. It isn't a problem here in Florida, but there are times you have to carry a patient down 3 or 4 flights, and of course, those are the patients who weigh 300 pounds. I could go on and on with reasons "why". The ambulances responded with just 2 people for years, and while they did their best, it is so much better to have additional help in case of CPR, starting IV's, making sure the family does not try to follow the ambulance, and think they can run the same red lights, etc., etc., etc.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:24 PM

I do not understand your negative question about excellent EMS sevice provided by the villages.

Wherevelse do you see such quality response. I know if I needed an EMS response I would want want all hans on deck rather than a second alarm for additional assistance.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proscoe View Post
I do not understand your negative question about excellent EMS sevice provided by the villages.

Wherevelse do you see such quality response. I know if I needed an EMS response I would want want all hans on deck rather than a second alarm for additional assistance.
Awww, c'mon...Lighten up on the OP. This is not the norm in most states. I've been in Florida 26 years, and it is the norm down here, but I remember questioning it the first time they ALL arrived at my house. Not everyone is being negative ...they are valid questions...try to see it as curiosity.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

It is the norm in Montgomery Co Maryland and has been for over 10 years.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

It's the norm at our up north home as well. We get an emt truck and a fire engine. Two per truck. At times you not only have the patient to care for, but a family member as well. Nothing worse than two emt guys doing CPR while spouse is melting down
Old 12-17-2014, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
It's the norm at our up north home as well. We get an emt truck and a fire engine. Two per truck. At times you not only have the patient to care for, but a family member as well. Nothing worse than two emt guys doing CPR while spouse is melting down
good point....there are apparently varied reasons why this happens. For a newcomer tho, it can seem redundant. Trust me...I'd like to have a whole street full of help if we ever had an issue here...
Old 12-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

As I understand the argument, each emergency medical call needs 4 people as apparently the two on the ambulance are not deemed sufficient. If that is the case, why not then put 4 EMTs on the ambulance and keep the fire truck in its centralized location? Perhaps the argument is that the firefighters spend so little time actually in fire action, that this is a way to utilize that manpower. It certainly makes sense to have more than two persons available at the scene. For those who know, does the fire truck leave once the EMTs determine that all is under control or does the truck remain for the entire duration of the run? I'm sure it comes down to money and utilizing manpower balancing community safety.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
why is it everytime a emt is called to a home.....a firetruck FOLLLOWS???? i can see that at a car accident (gas problems)..but why a home call??
never seen that done anywhere else...sometimes they don't even get out of their truck....seems like a waste of gas and time....anybody know???? a neighbor of mine had a small heart attack...and THERE was the firetruck also ????
It was like that in Connecticut, as well. Usually, the fire truck showed up first. Probably because they were closest. Sometimes a police cruiser showed up as well. I guess it just depends on who is available first.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:10 AM

Its also normal in Michigan and has been for ears
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.