Asking about cable vs satellite in the villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
How many have tried AT&T's "Magic Jackk" when going from one service to another and dropping the first service phone coverage. Did you like Magic Jack?
I have used a VoIP service for years and it works well. I wouldn't use it if I didn't have a cell phone, but it is fine if you want to keep a house phone. The one I use is Voipo, which costs $185 (total cost including taxes) for 2 years. Another option is Ooma, and there are many more. You can definitely beat the phone company or a company like Comcast. You just need decent internet service.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We have used Magic Jack for years, and it works just fine for us. We got the one that plugs into the router as opposed to plugging into a computer, as we only use laptops. It cost a little more at first for the flash drive (or dongle, or whatever it's called that goes into the router), but after that it's $39 or $49 a year (hubs and I disagree on which it is). We have a base cordless phone with answering machine, but you can have the messages come to your computer.

Others have said that there are better options than Magic Jack. We just keep it because we're used to it. You should check the ones Gordon listed.

I love having a real-size phone to talk on, with clear sounds. Cell phones drive me nuts. There's a delay, then you both start talking at the same time... oh, but that's off topic.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkmaine View Post
Antenna and HuluPlus, Netflix, and Amazon Prime works for us. Tom from Villages A/V showed us how to get network channels plus a few others. Cost per month: $0. Then we use HuluPlus, Netflix and Amazon Prime to get TV and movies from all over the world. Cost per month: $25. Did you know that UCF has a channel called Create that's a travel, cooking, home and garden channel? Way better than HGTV. Anyway, my frugal soul is so much happier than it was when we were spending $100 for 700 channels we never ever watched.
Absolutely the best idea!!! Just get hooked up for internet, buy a Roku box (about $80) and have an antenna installed in your attic to get all the major network channels for free, and with better reception than cable or a dish. Subscribe to Amazon Prime for loads of content and free 2-day shipping on loads of items (about $99 per year) If you are paying for a service back home, you can buy and install a Slingbox there, and watch and control everything you have back home on your tablet, computer, or Roku box here in The Villages. You would be nuts to go with cable or dish IMO. Don't waste your money!
Old 08-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Wink Change

We had Comcast however they continued to send bills that were either wrong or continual increases in rates. It became almost a monthly requirement to spend 1-2 hours on the phone arguing about their bills. On the 15th of this month we cancelled Comcast who we had for years and had Direct TV installed. It is, so far terrific. The picture is much better and they provide what is like DVR's for all rooms. The hard part is trying to find the channels we like on the new lists on Direct TV. BUT it is more than worth it to get rid of Comcast.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:13 PM

I have Dish and I have been happy with them. I was going to make a change to Prism as I already have telephone and internet from them. Problem was they never told me that HD was not available in my home. Long story but I threw Prism out and went back to Dish. Yes sometimes a big time thunderstorm with be an issue but that is it. Great HD and lots of HD channels. So if you decide to go with Prism, make sure to ask if the wiring to your house is correct for HD. The reason some of the Prism subscribers are having freeze issues it the do not have the wiring to their homes that is needed for Prism. CenturyLink sales does not tell new subscribers and just sells you the Prism deal. Don't fall for it.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighthouse Cable Lysander View Post
Do you live south of CR466A???
Yes.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.