Bad crash Buena Vista and 466A

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2014, 08:35 PM
Platinum member
Default Bad crash Buena Vista and 466A

We came upon a bad accident involving at least 3 cars around 4:45pm tonight (Sat.) Hope no one was seriously hurt. Stay safe out there!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

I was also stuck in traffic at the accident site. I only saw two cars, maybe I missed one, as there was fire trucks all over the roadway. I saw one person being put into an ambulance on a stretcher. Hoping all were not injured too bad.
I always consider myself lucky when I sit in traffic at an accident site. A few minutes earlier, it could have been me.
Couldn't get home, as they blocked traffic heading north on Buena Vista. We were detoured westbound on 466A. Decided to stop in at the new Square 1 Burger. Great burger!!!!!

Last edited by Phanatic Luvr; 04-13-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:06 AM
KittyKat
Question

What is wrong with that intersection? Is it more than people speeding? Are the yellow lights too short?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:37 AM

The cause is that left turns are allowed on green lights. This causes left turns into oncoming traffic. Solution would be a left turn only arrow. Probably a county or state issue.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clod View Post
The cause is that left turns are allowed on green lights. This causes left turns into oncoming traffic. Solution would be a left turn only arrow. Probably a county or state issue.
And more than one has run a red light on 466A, exceeding 50 mph to beat the light
Old 04-13-2014, 07:17 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Probably very true. Happened to me the other day but of course, I waited until there was plenty of room to make the left before I turned. Some people are too impatient. I've also seen many people run the turn arrows speeding up and cutting off cars in oncoming traffic.

Since some are so impatient, I agree with left turn only arrow. Such a shame that people are in such a hurry.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 04-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
I agree. The left turn on a green light can be very dangerous at these big intersections, the one at morse and 466 A included. The traffic comes so fast and people get out in the middle of the intersection to make their turn, thus causing poor visibility for drivers and just a mess at the intersection. I rarely go on a green light when traffic is busy. I'd rather be safe than be t-boned by a car going 50 mph. I don't make lefts on a green light unless I'm absolutely sure nobody is coming. Sooner or later someone behind me is going to start beeping their horn and giving me gestures because they think I should go. It's my life and I won't be bullied Into making a fatal choice.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Gold member

I think that if you cause an accident with injuries do to your stupidity you should have to take a safe driving course or loose your license.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Platinum member

Never understand why the big deal about accidents. Weren't there accidents where you used to live? Stuff like that happens everywhere.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:25 AM
Platinum member

In my humble opinion it seems that too many people drive too fast and try to get through the red light.

And then the people who are trying to turn left pull in front of them.

Just poor driving and a lead foot!

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 04-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Never understand why the big deal about accidents. Weren't there accidents where you used to live?
Yes, however the roads were usually snow or ice covered, when they happened.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Agree, when other cars are in the opposite turn lane, it's very difficult to see if the other two lanes of on-coming traffic is clear. You need to turn left with extreme caution. A left turn only signal would help.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Gold member

While the rest of you sort out the logistics of traffic control, I'll say a prayer for the injured.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianem View Post
never understand why the big deal about accidents. Weren't there accidents where you used to live? Stuff like that happens everywhere.
ditto................!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

There does seem to be an inordinate number of accidents at the intersections of Morse and 466, Morse and 466A, Buena Vista and 466 and Buena Vista and 466A.

I honestly don't think that it has to do with being allowed to turn left on green. That rule in in effect everywhere in the country. It probably has more to do with the fact that there are so many senior citizens, who no longer see well and who have diminished reflexes driving cars.

Don't forget, the law says that you can turn left on a green light only if it is safe to do so. If that is the scenario with most of these accidents, then people are turing when it is not safe to do so. I would hate to see a change in the procedure that would punish the people that know how to drive in order to accommodate those who don't.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.