Breakers Tripping in Neighborhood

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2015, 06:15 AM
Gold member
Default Breakers Tripping in Neighborhood

We live in Village of Fernandina and several neighbors including myself have had our breakers trip last night and again this morning. This hasn't happened since May but has started in again. I worry most for the feeble elderly that have to go into their garages every time to fix it. Someone is doing something to make this happen. We need some answers please.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:40 AM

We live on Fieldbrook, and we had this happen last night and again this morning. I didn't have to reset them last night, but this morning I did, and I had 5 that was tripped. We can't have this continue or it's going to ruin one of our appliances. I'm just glad we was home, or we could have come back to a freezer full of thawed food! There are many snowbirds that have not returned yet, we hope their homes are okay.
We were told that a HAM radio was causing it. We ar not sure if that is true or not. We do know that we have not had any problem with this since May, and now twice in 24 hours. Something has to be done to fix this problem!!! Someones going to get a phone call bright and early Tuesday morning!!!
Old 09-05-2015, 07:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR&VAF View Post
We live on Fieldbrook, and we had this happen last night and again this morning. I didn't have to reset them last night, but this morning I did, and I had 5 that was tripped. We can't have this continue or it's going to ruin one of our appliances. I'm just glad we was home, or we could have come back to a freezer full of thawed food! There are many snowbirds that have not returned yet, we hope their homes are okay.
We were told that a HAM radio was causing it. We ar not sure if that is true or not. We do know that we have not had any problem with this since May, and now twice in 24 hours. Something has to be done to fix this problem!!! Someones going to get a phone call bright and early Tuesday morning!!!
Did they say how a ham radio could cause something like this? Just curious.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:58 AM
Gold member

An improperly grounded HAM radio antenna can cause that. Do you all live close to eachother? Inquire with your neighbors.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:09 AM

A few months back, a local electrician here in TV told me that they do see problems with the 1st generation of arc fault breakers being tripped by nearby HAM radios. While trying to determine the cause of the breakers tripping, they have found that HAM radio antennas can be "hidden" inside a flag pole, so they are difficult to locate. Supposedly, the 2nd generation of the arc fault breakers are not as sensitive to the radio waves, but they are not cheap.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:21 AM
Sage

I found 6 tripped, all were low amps none of the 220V, strange first time in 2 1/2 years.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:24 AM
Gold member

So because someone doesn't have their antenna installed properly I have to pay for better breakers? I'm a pretty good investigator so I'll find out very soon.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

If you do a search in Google for ARC fault breaker nuisance tripping, you will find that at least one specific brand of breaker did respond to the radio interference and would trip. They actually created a version of the AFCI breaker labeled HAM that supposedly had additional filtering. I did find a previous thread on TOTV regarding this issue, you may find some answers there.
To clarify a few points:
1. You should find the AFCI breakers serving the bedrooms and living room areas only.
2. These breakers are difference from GFCI breakers which are used for outside, bathroom, kitchen areas, where water is present.
3. During a close in lightning strike, I had 3 GFCI receptacles all in the garage trip, no circuit breakers so far. Been in the house, village of Pinellas, almost 2 years.
4. My neighbor had a really weird experience where opening the refrigerator door would trip the AFCI breaker supplying the living room. This happened several times over a 6-7 month period. When he contacted an electrician, he found the refrigerator circuit breaker was on the SAME leg as the living room AFCI breaker. The electrician swapped the refrigerator with another circuit on the opposite leg, and this appears to have eliminated the problem.
5. There have been LOTS of problems reported with these breakers. I have not seen any specific solutions, but a lot of theories on what may be happening.

I hope the above helps, and perhaps some of the inspectors or electricians can add their experience or insight.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:39 AM
Gold member

Thank you Village tinker
Old 09-05-2015, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

One other thought came to mind, if there is a cluster of homes experiencing the problem, it might be a good idea to call SECO and ask them to check the facilities in the area, incase there is a problem on the utility side. I have not seen this as a proposed cause, but that would typically be the only thing in common with several houses.
Please keep us up to date with what you find.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:51 AM

We live in Charlotte. Found two AFCI breakers tripped this morning... living room, and kitchen overhead lights. Both 15-Amp. We've been here almost 3 years and this is only the second time this has happened. The first time was in early 2013. The problem that time was faulty wiring in our post light.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:05 AM

I live on Brassie Terrace, I had no issues but my neighbor had 6 breakers tripped. No 220V or appliance breakers were tripped.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:56 AM
Sage

If a person has lightning rods installed in their house and they get a hit--their neighbors will be affected--look around for lightning rods.
also your panel grounding should be checked.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Duh! Has anybody called SECO???
Old 09-05-2015, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Ours tripped weekly in our villa in pennacamp. Seco could not figure it out. Lenheart came out changed breaker still happen. Then all of a sudden it stopped. No reason either way

Tags
breakers, garages, feeble, elderly, happen, answers, make, fix, time, neighbors, including, fernandina, tripping, neighborhood, live, village, trip, started, happened, night, morning, worry

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.