Car and cart accident at Tarpon Boil

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
I think it is appalling that these two accident victims' names are plastered all over the online "newspaper" and on here, opening them up to trashing and conjecture about whether they're medically fit to drive etc. It's bordering on libel.

Medical records are private by law for good reason. If the car driver had a "medical episode" and the so-called newspaper called the hospital to get his name, it would not be given out (by anybody with brains about privacy laws).

There are many things that could cause a "medical episode" that are not at all predictable. A large percentage of heart attack deaths occur with sudden death being the first warning sign.

Here is an example, from Cleveland Clinic:
Sudden cardiac death (SCD) is a sudden, unexpected death caused by loss of heart function (sudden cardiac arrest).

Sudden cardiac death is the largest cause of natural death in the United States, causing about 325,000 adult deaths in the United States each year.

Sudden cardiac death is responsible for half of all heart disease deaths.

Sudden cardiac death occurs most frequently in adults in their mid-30s to mid-40s, and affects men twice as often as it does women.

Even if the "newspaper" sees the state patrol report showing the name of the drivers/victims, a non-tabloid reporter and publisher would leave the people's names OUT of their stories!

Sudden Cardiac Death (Sudden Cardiac Arrest) | Cleveland Clinic
Libel requires false statements. For public figures this needs malice. https://www.eff.org/issues/bloggers/...ity/defamation
Old 02-01-2016, 09:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I believe the names become part of the public record and are readily available. This is news and that is what newspapers report. I hope you are not suggesting that something unethical has been done.

Quote:
I think it is appalling that these two accident victims' names are plastered all over the online "newspaper" and on here, opening them up to trashing and conjecture about whether they're medically fit to drive etc. It's bordering on libel.

Medical records are private by law for good reason. If the car driver had a "medical episode" and the so-called newspaper called the hospital to get his name, it would not be given out (by anybody with brains about privacy laws).

There are many things that could cause a "medical episode" that are not at all predictable. A large percentage of heart attack deaths occur with sudden death being the first warning sign.

Sudden cardiac death (SCD) is a sudden, unexpected death caused by loss of heart function (sudden cardiac arrest).

Sudden cardiac death is the largest cause of natural death in the United States, causing about 325,000 adult deaths in the United States each year.

Sudden cardiac death occurs most frequently in adults in their mid-30s to mid-40s, and affects men twice as often as it does women.

Even if the "newspaper" sees the state patrol report showing the name of the drivers/victims, a non-tabloid reporter and publisher would leave the people's names OUT of their stories!

Old 02-01-2016, 11:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Libel requires false statements. For public figures this needs malice. https://www.eff.org/issues/bloggers/...ity/defamation
The drivers of the car and cart are not "public figures". Their medical conditions are not to be publicized and then judged here to be unfit to drive or in need of annual testing/medical exams, out of common decency if not for privacy laws.

Last edited by goodtimesintv; 02-02-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

You can certainly get a feel about a person by what they say on this forum. Sometimes it just makes me sad.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Default Thanks for being concerned.....

I was the driver of the golf car last Saturday. And thanks for asking, I am ok. Just a broken neck and many, many contusions and bruises in places I didn't know I had places. I will be sore for a long, long time.

I was sitting in the cart waiting to exit onto Nobleton when the driver of the car experienced his "medical emergency", went off the road and started coming straight at me at about 15 mph. As you know from the paper and news he passed the next day.

And I also agree it is amazing what some people will say when they should probably just keep it to themselves.....
Old 02-06-2016, 12:24 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset seeker View Post
I was the driver of the golf car last Saturday. And thanks for asking, I am ok. Just a broken neck and many, many contusions and bruises in places I didn't know I had places. I will be sore for a long, long time.

I was sitting in the cart waiting to exit onto Nobleton when the driver of the car experienced his "medical emergency", went off the road and started coming straight at me at about 15 mph. As you know from the paper and news he passed the next day.

And I also agree it is amazing what some people will say when they should probably just keep it to themselves.....
Glad to hear that you survived and are on the mend, even if it takes a while. It must have been terrifying to be in that position. No place to run, no time to get out of the way.

Thanks for checking in, I know many have been wondering how you are doing! Prayers for an uncomplicated recovery!
Old 02-06-2016, 08:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset seeker View Post

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery. You may be the first person to ever put these four words together - "just a broken neck".
Old 02-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

I look at it in an opposite way. It isn't wrong to have a medical episode, and if someone you knew were the victim of an accident you would want to know.

And further. I wish the victim of this accident good wishes and sending prayers for a recovery. So sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope you are feeling better soon.

And to everyone reading this. PLEASE continue to exercise utmost caution, danger is out there and we have a lot of vehicles riding around right now. I want to count every one of your noses after this busy time.

Tags
accident, transported, heard, drivers, hospitals, update, today, tarpon, cart, boil, passed, car, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.