Closed vs Open clubs at Rec Centers

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2016, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Rully! That's far too often.

BTW, what is an "open" club? Our Three Rivers Club is closed due to room capacity, but we don't pay to use the room.
If I get there early can I get in?
Old 07-04-2016, 07:46 AM
Veteran member
Default Open play cards etc

I agree that certain clubs must have rules, such as advanced Bridge. Open cards means open cards. If you have your own group, and don't want to include others, then go play at your own homes. If you can't fit your group, add-on a room. How many times have you gone to a Club or other activities, only to find the seats saved, or find yourself totally ignored by the group. Not always the friendliest place. The person in charge should be responsible for making new people feel welcome. I know it is a thankless job, but you volunteered to do it, so do it.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:48 AM

One of the things that has been overlooked in this conversation is workload! Running a club is a lot of work and many people don't appreciate the amount of time and effort that goes into running a club. Our club has a maximum member limit because it is a work load issue. I didn't retire to take on another full time job so you can have fun!! The percentage of people willing to help a club compared to the number of people who want join a club is disproportionately low. Now add on top of that the prima donnas that think you should be scolded or reprimanded for some imaginary infraction and you begin to understand why a club will become selective with their membership.

This thread started by one individual who is willing to complain about not getting her way, yet no where was it mentioned that this lady went to the club leader and asked what she could do to help. Yet she expects the leader to jump through hoops to accommodate her and has increased the leaders workload by now having to respond to a complaint and defend the club's position to "management". The attitude that "I'm so specials" is rampant in The Villages. I only want people with an "attitude of gratitude" to join my club. Those with an entitlement attitude don't last long.

My two cents!
Old 07-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Veteran member

Interesting responses. As far I can see, people didn't read the original post, or read something into it that wasn't there.
The point wasn't that she wanted impose herself on the group, it was that it was supposed to be open, but that they didn't do anything to allow and her friend to play. So was it open in name only to avoid having to pay for the room?

Our friend wanted to start a coloring club and was told that unless it was open (and in TV only residents and guests with a guest ID count) she would have to pay for the room.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

We saw one pool and club director who simply sits around and does non stop BS with his friends about real mind stretchers, BALL Games. Wow.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:53 AM
Platinum member
Default re read posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Interesting responses. As far I can see, people didn't read the original post, or read something into it that wasn't there.
The point wasn't that she wanted impose herself on the group, it was that it was supposed to be open, but that they didn't do anything to allow and her friend to play. So was it open in name only to avoid having to pay for the room?

Our friend wanted to start a coloring club and was told that unless it was open (and in TV only residents and guests with a guest ID count) she would have to pay for the room.
after reading the original post I have to think it should have been a true open play group and not just using the rec center as a free room for personal use.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyGeorge View Post
One of the things that has been overlooked in this conversation is workload! Running a club is a lot of work and many people don't appreciate the amount of time and effort that goes into running a club. Our club has a maximum member limit because it is a work load issue. I didn't retire to take on another full time job so you can have fun!! The percentage of people willing to help a club compared to the number of people who want join a club is disproportionately low. Now add on top of that the prima donnas that think you should be scolded or reprimanded for some imaginary infraction and you begin to understand why a club will become selective with their membership.

This thread started by one individual who is willing to complain about not getting her way, yet no where was it mentioned that this lady went to the club leader and asked what she could do to help. Yet she expects the leader to jump through hoops to accommodate her and has increased the leaders workload by now having to respond to a complaint and defend the club's position to "management". The attitude that "I'm so specials" is rampant in The Villages. I only want people with an "attitude of gratitude" to join my club. Those with an entitlement attitude don't last long.

My two cents!
A little harsh.

I read nothing in the OP's comments on this that make me think they believe themselves to be entitled. They expected something, and were surprised and puzzled when something lse happened. The contacted the right people for answers, and then came to this forum to check their thinking.

Quite gentle actually when compared to some of the other threads that I have read.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
We saw one pool and club director who simply sits around and does non stop BS with his friends about real mind stretchers, BALL Games. Wow.
Uhhh - huh????
Old 07-04-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I fully understand that all clubs should be "open" to newcomers, technically they are, but in reality they are not! There is a distinct difference to being "open" and "welcoming". I found that out the hard way when a girlfriend and I just "dropped" in to a game of Scrabble, the resident players looked at us like we had three heads (not just two), they did break up a table to play with us, but they were not playing the game of scrabble we had always played!!! Uncomfortable, you bet! It's a fact of life, if you insist on breaking up a group that plays every week you are going to be very, very uncomfortable.

To avoid any problems in the future, I suggest you contact the leader of the group, explain that two of you would like to play and ask for her advice - she may have other singles looking to play.

I may be the odd man out here, but I never go to a new club without first calling the leader, whose name is always available, and asking if they have room etc. etc. I do not push myself in where I am not wanted and, therefore, will not enjoy myself. Also, if you call ahead they will be expecting you and most likely introduce you to the group!

As for six of us playing weekly - we actually do not play at one of the clubs, I used that example just to explain how we would feel if someone insisted on breaking in to our "cliquey" little group.
Madelaine, you are definitely NOT odd man out. i will be coming down this september and already have a list of clubs of interest to me including the contact info for the club to see if there are openings. i am hoping i can join some, but if no openings, maybe enough new ones to start a second one. hope to meet you all soon.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMM View Post
Madelaine, you are definitely NOT odd man out. i will be coming down this september and already have a list of clubs of interest to me including the contact info for the club to see if there are openings. i am hoping i can join some, but if no openings, maybe enough new ones to start a second one. hope to meet you all soon.
Thanks Jane, for actually reading my post and understanding my point of view. Welcome to The Villages. It really is an incredible place to live!

Ask for help and information from anyone you meet in TV and you will be made welcome.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-04-2016, 11:53 PM

I agree with you Erika!
Old 07-05-2016, 07:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

This is a good thread. Lesson learned for me - a quick call to the group contact before going is a good idea. Just to see that there is something that I should understand. Thank you Joel for getting this conversation started.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

Thank you all that read the original and follow up posts.

The game was Pokemo (not a lot of skill needed to play), the room was not full (either by room capacity or max number of players), we've played at a friends house once with only four of us. She did talk to the leader, whom did not help. It's the kind of game that one person from two or three tables of six would have worked. My wife does NOT feel entitled to anything, she and her friend just wanted something to do on a Friday night and it sounded like fun. BTW, I doubt she'll go back, she obliviously was not welcome and she doesn't to play with unfriendly people.

There too many other clubs that welcome new people (all that I've been to so far in the past year we have lived here full time). Some clubs do have room limits, Bunco, for example can have one table of two, one table of three (a "ghost" makes up the fourth person) and rest with tables of four. But there is a fire limit number of people in the room. During peak times you have to get there early and stand in line, first come first served no "saveies".

Petunque at the Paradise outside courts is another. We have 6 courts and play with 3 to a side, but in the peak season we split the courts in have to accommodate the most people we can (even to the point we may have 4 to a team, but that makes playing very difficult and somewhat dangerous. The teams are picked at random to avoid "clicks". And all residents and quests (with ID) are welcome.

So my point is that most clubs seam to go out of their way to accept new people and to make it fair.

I'm the one that started this thread to see what others have found with clubs here in TV.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Veteran member

Hi, we have found that the Rec Director is a misnomer for sure. They do not want to take an interest in any problems. Kids, very young, unsupervised, clowning up in the Pool Room tables, Kids from outside of the Villages coming to the pools for swimming, bragging about "just pee in the pool it is too far to the rest room". And a lot more, but we spoke to directors, they are not there to control anything, so it seems. One of them is so involved with bs about sports, he is on another planet. He does not even check persons coming in.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Sage

Why don't you call John Rohan and schedule an appointment with him to air your complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
Hi, we have found that the Rec Director is a misnomer for sure. They do not want to take an interest in any problems. Kids, very young, unsupervised, clowning up in the Pool Room tables, Kids from outside of the Villages coming to the pools for swimming, bragging about "just pee in the pool it is too far to the rest room". And a lot more, but we spoke to directors, they are not there to control anything, so it seems. One of them is so involved with bs about sports, he is on another planet. He does not even check persons coming in.
Closed Thread

Tags
club, rec, back, center, director

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.