Comcast modem speeds - Throttling?

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Default Comcast modem speeds - Throttling?

Has anyone else noticed their internet speeds decreasing in the evening? When i run a speed check I routinely get 28-29Mbps. However, almost every evening around 9pm my speeds fall off dramatically. sometimes so slow that anything i am doing online freezes. I have tried rebooting both the modem and router but the same problem keeps happening. any ideas?
Old 10-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Platinum member

Complain to Comcast.

Skip
Old 10-30-2014, 02:49 PM

That's like trying to get through to a deaf monkey.........
Old 10-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

do a Google search on slow evening speeds. Appears like this is an old problem.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:18 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Complain to Comcast.

Skip
don't complain, just buy more speed.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Have not noticed this problem, but I will now run checks in the evenings to see if the speed varies. I will post my results.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:54 PM
Veteran member

The cable line that services your house is shared by many customers. When few customers are using it, your speed can be very fast. However, in the evening, when many customers are tapping into the stream, it slows down, and everyone gets slower speeds. DSL (like Century Link uses) has a different system. You get a dedicated line that never varies much. However, the speed you get is dependent on how far you are from the DSL station. If you are a long way away, your speed can be much slower.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:18 PM
Default Comcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy employee View Post
Has anyone else noticed their internet speeds decreasing in the evening? When i run a speed check I routinely get 28-29Mbps. However, almost every evening around 9pm my speeds fall off dramatically. sometimes so slow that anything i am doing online freezes. I have tried rebooting both the modem and router but the same problem keeps happening. any ideas?

I too have had problems with CenturyLink as we have had trouble with Netflix suddenly cutting off and then re starting. After researching I decided to get a better (more expensive) router and although it was better (or so I thought) it again had trouble with running a movie without interrupting again. I've tried a new Router, moving it closer to TV and late at night I have no problem and also ran speed test and found speed was usually around 8 or 9 it was 3-4

Went to CentryLink today and they said I should get the "higher speed" as I've had the $39,95 a month for 3 years and now they want to charge $70 "plus surcharges, tax etc". I think it's all a scam as I don't know why they won't let "other" Internet providers come into the Villages and feel like there is no competition therefore our hands are tied.

Netflix works perfect certain times of the day but around 6-9 pm forget it. Like another post stated.... "Forget getting any help from CenturyLink" !! Unless of course you want to spend more $$$
Old 10-30-2014, 11:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have had this problem with the Comcast internet also. Quite often, especially in the evenings my speed will drop as much as 60%.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:21 AM
Veteran member

My unprofessional opinion....Comcast Internet is no different than traffic on Buena Vista Blvd. when the 'seasonal' residents return, volume on BVB increases, as does volume on Comcast. More volume, aka more traffic, in both cases equals slower speeds.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:32 AM
Gold member
Default This is the correct answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
The cable line that services your house is shared by many customers. When few customers are using it, your speed can be very fast. However, in the evening, when many customers are tapping into the stream, it slows down, and everyone gets slower speeds. DSL (like Century Link uses) has a different system. You get a dedicated line that never varies much. However, the speed you get is dependent on how far you are from the DSL station. If you are a long way away, your speed can be much slower.
This reply has it right. If you can get some of your neighbors to cancel Comcast your speed might increase LOL
Old 10-31-2014, 08:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighthouse Cable Lysander View Post
Hello fellow Villagers. If you live south of CR 466A you do have other options for internet. At Brighthouse we have different options for speeds on your Internet depending on your needs. We have 10, 30, 60 & 90 Mbps. All these are expected to be increased by the end of the year to 15, 35, 75 & 150 Mbps. Also as a Brighthouse networks customer you have free access to all the Wifi hot spots that we have added south of CR 466A. For more information feel free to contact me at the email or phone number below. Thanks
Where are the hotspots? I have brighthouse cable ,telephone, Internet with turbo . While watching Netflix I have had the picture drop and reboot again. I never had this problem before, now it happens almost every night.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation Business Management

I would guess that the Thrototling is a business decision in order to find more incremental revenue. In order for business's to grow they must sell more of what they have, improvements to what they have or find new streams of revenue.
[Or you could say bringing in the sheep] which is what we really are. By throttling they have new revenue streams and ones that are not visable to the user. What a great scam. The problem is that our air waves fall under Government controls and the Cable Co's are smart enough to know that enough private citizens will not get together to force the Gov't to take actiona and I am guessing these Companies have a ton of Lobyist sitting in Local, State and National Gov't to prevent fairness to the user.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:38 PM

Yeah Complain to COMCAST, or just stick pencils in your eyes. I don't usually like to use bad words toward anyone, but COMCAST is a Bad Word.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

As promised: using Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
10/31 9:30 am ping 51 ms download 12.6 meg upload 24 meg
10/31 9:30 pm ping 29 ms " 16 meg " 12 meg
11/1 11:00 am ping 26 ms " 19 meg " 11 meg

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.