Comcast: Norton Security Suite

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Gold member
Default Comcast: Norton Security Suite

I am posting this in case anybody else got scammed like I did.

Background: As those of you who have Comcast internet know, if you have carefully ready the fine print, you get, as part of your Comcast subscription price, free Norton Security Suite anti-virus protection. In mid-June, I got from Norton, as part of a software update, a notice to the effect that Comcast was no longer providing the anti-virus software and that it was now necessary to click on the link to purchase it directly from Norton. I did so, and my credit card was charged $43.99 for a one-year subscription, and I downloaded the software from Norton.

Now, I discover that Comcast never discontinued providing the Norton anti-virus software and nobody at Comcast has any idea why Norton would have sent out such a notice. After an hour talking to Norton's Indians, the best I could get was a promise of a prorata refund for the unused portion of the one-year subscription. I am now contemplating my next step.

Anybody have a similar experience?
Old 09-30-2014, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,155 Times in 2,250 Posts

Norton appears to randomly send out renewal notices. I have been using their Norton360 product for several years. I went through some similar confusion when I added my mobile phones to the plan. It appears their reps do not understand how all of their products are sold and licensed.
In my case they extended the contract to cover the over payment. If the product you purchased was exactly the same as Comcast offering (*) I would call back ask for a supervisor and a full refund.
* It has been my experience that the version of the software offered by the cable companies does not have all of the capabilites of the full paid version, in which case the partial refund sounds reasonable.

Just my thoughts.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If you are using a PC and have the current Windows 8 or 8.1, you already have internet security included with the operating system. Using an additional program is not recommended regardless of whether it is free or not.

Also, if you have previous versions of Windows installed, you can download Microsoft Security software for free. I have used this for several years and have managed to stay "bug" free.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:47 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
If you are using a PC and have the current Windows 8 or 8.1, you already have internet security included with the operating system. Using an additional program is not recommended regardless of whether it is free or not.

Also, if you have previous versions of Windows installed, you can download Microsoft Security software for free. I have used this for several years and have managed to stay "bug" free.
I do not have Windows 8, but if I did I would disable the security programs that came with the OS and install Norton Internet Security. I am familiar with Norton after many years of using it and have tried the other "free" security programs and found them lacking.

Obviously, this is just my opinion but I will stick by it.

Everyone has a security product that they like and should test other programs and see if it is better. I tried some and returned to Norton. I sleep better knowing that the Norton Internet Security package is protecting me.

Z
Old 09-30-2014, 12:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Norton appears to randomly send out renewal notices. I have been using their Norton360 product for several years. I went through some similar confusion when I added my mobile phones to the plan. It appears their reps do not understand how all of their products are sold and licensed.
In my case they extended the contract to cover the over payment. If the product you purchased was exactly the same as Comcast offering (*) I would call back ask for a supervisor and a full refund.
* It has been my experience that the version of the software offered by the cable companies does not have all of the capabilites of the full paid version, in which case the partial refund sounds reasonable.

Just my thoughts.
My gripe is Norton's misrepresentation that Comcast had discontinued providing the free Norton software. I don't know if the misrepresentation was sent to all Comcast subscribers in June or was sent out randomly. The Norton Indians that I spoke to denied any knowledge of it.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Veteran member

I have had Comcast and Norton from Comcast for several years and have never received a notice from Norton.

I do have "double" security on my computers, Norton and Webroot.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
My gripe is Norton's misrepresentation that Comcast had discontinued providing the free Norton software. I don't know if the misrepresentation was sent to all Comcast subscribers in June or was sent out randomly. The Norton Indians that I spoke to denied any knowledge of it.
Still have the email? Are you sure it was from Norton and not a third party?
If so, ask your credit card company to charge back the sale and get a refund.
Reason: Fraudulent Transaction

Skip
Old 09-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Still have the email? Are you sure it was from Norton and not a third party?
If so, ask your credit card company to charge back the sale and get a refund.
Reason: Fraudulent Transaction

Skip
It was not an e-mail or any part of a third-party scam. The notice was on a Norton update. It was legitimate, with a direct link to the Norton update site. I have determined that at least one other person in The Villages got a similar notice, which he ignored since he has an Apple computer and, rightly or wrongly, is not worried about viruses.

Regrading your suggestion to contact the credit-card company. My first step upon discovering the deception was to call the credit company. Unfortunately, the charge had gone through, and they took the position that they could not reverse it at this point. It now looks like Norton is refunding most of my payment-- but this was never primarily about the money. I just hate to be lied to.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post

you are extremely lucky as the microsoft security programs are amongst the most hacked and are not nearly as responsive to new hacking techniques as are the third party security suites like nortons and mcafee. I make this statement as a former systems architect and programmer. Apple is certainly not innately secure like the chromebooks and chrome os.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardMeSecurity View Post
My buddy in tavares was just bllled $750 for a security system he never ordered. Might want to watch out for that too. Plenty of fraud going on with those comcast contractors.

Let's see how long it takes:
1) to get it corrected so he doesn't see it monthly
2) to get a refund if he is owed one.

I'm so happy I was finally able to get rid of Comcast.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.