Controversial Question - Class differences or hatred?

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Default Controversial Question - Class differences or hatred?

Hey all.

I've been trolling this site for a couple weeks now. I plan on buying a house and moving to TV next year some time. Have to work out some personal issues first. Most is that my wife has spent most of my money through the years and I'll be moving on a limited budget.

The houses I'm looking at are in the historical district. I kind of remember when my mother lived there years ago, that a neighbor of hers would always say the people in the big houses don't care for the people in the manufactured homes. Is that true?

Not trying to call a big stink here, but more preparing myself for what's in store. I realize most who get to know me will like me as I get along with everyone. Yeah, I'll be a little younger, but I'm going to have the time of my life.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulparrot View Post
Hey all.

I've been trolling this site for a couple weeks now. I plan on buying a house and moving to TV next year some time. Have to work out some personal issues first. Most is that my wife has spent most of my money through the years and I'll be moving on a limited budget.

The houses I'm looking at are in the historical district. I kind of remember when my mother lived there years ago, that a neighbor of hers would always say the people in the big houses don't care for the people in the manufactured homes. Is that true?

Not trying to call a big stink here, but more preparing myself for what's in store. I realize most who get to know me will like me as I get along with everyone. Yeah, I'll be a little younger, but I'm going to have the time of my life.
Most could care less what kind of house others live in. We all spend our money different. I have several friends that live over there.
There are always those small amount of people that think they are better than others, but they are few and far between.
Just come on down and join us and have the time of your life !!!
The Villages is an awesome place !!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

From what I've experienced, most don't care where you live. Actually, I've been known to make folks in premier houses jealous of my view of Silver Lake from my bedroom and the beautiful oak that provides such wonderful shade. Relax and enjoy living here. The vast majority will accept you as you are. Those that don't aren't worth knowing.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Sage

Free golf, Separate Checks are What's Expected, Most Club Dues are $10/yr
How can you beat that?

No one really knows what you are worth. The have's and the have not's share the same facilities. It's not like home where the have's play the $100 courses or join the $5k country clubs and the have not's golf after 3pm on the cheap courses on weekdays.

I live in the south end of town but I don't know if I made the best decision. All the offbeat things are up north like archery, woodshop, lawn bowling, croquet, air rifles, bowling, and more that I can't think of. The food stores I like Aldi's and Fresh Market are up there too. I also like the idea that the executive courses up there are mature and I think easier to get on.

PM me and I'll tell you how you can beat the cost of a a golf cart and ride in style.

Then again if you have been trolling for a while and see a lot of uncaring people on this site, or people that seem snobbish I have to wonder how I missed that. If you are looking for hatred and class distinction you may not be happy here at all.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Take everyone with a grain of salt. There will always be people that feel like they are entitled and there will always will be people that enjoy life and can get along with everyone. I've met very few of the entitled in TV but I've also met A LOT of the most genuine, friendliest people there is.

People outside of "the bubble" seem to think that all residents in TV are flush with money, and the average income of Villagers is about double what other Florida residents are, so take this into account when purchasing big ticket items.

Again, enjoy life here, no matter where you live. TV about as close to paradise as you can get. I always thought that when I crossed the state line from MO to AR that I was back in God's country - no more; TV is it. As I said in another thread, this place is in-freaking-credible.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Free golf, Separate Checks are What's Expected, Most Club Dues are $10/yr
How can you beat that?

No one really knows what you are worth. The have's and the have not's share the same facilities. It's not like home where the have's play the $100 courses or join the $5k country clubs and the have not's golf after 3pm on the cheap courses on weekdays.

I live in the south end of town but I don't know if I made the best decision. All the offbeat things are up north like archery, woodshop, lawn bowling, croquet, air rifles, bowling, and more that I can't think of. The food stores I like Aldi's and Fresh Market are up there too. I also like the idea that the executive courses up there are mature and I think easier to get on.

PM me and I'll tell you how you can beat the cost of a a golf cart and ride in style.

Then again if you have been trolling for a while and see a lot of uncaring people on this site, or people that seem snobbish I have to wonder how I missed that. If you are looking for hatred and class distinction you may not be happy here at all.
Yeah I get all the benefits, because I fell in love when we would visit my mom. I'm crazy of the place and can't wait to get there. Most of this discussion was based off of something my mom's neighbor said, but I kind of figured that was what SHE felt. I won't have any problems making friends in an out of TV. I'll be getting a divorce next year and am looking forward to a smaller home without a freaking magnolia that sheds 52 weeks a year. I haven't played golf in a couple years due to the cost here. I could probably afford the cost, but they move you like cattle and I don't feel I get my money's worth. So heck yeah, I'm looking for the free golf and will probably join a couple clubs. I just have to see what the budget is. I'm only 53 so I'll still be working. Won't be a problem finding a job as I am a high end computer geek. Looking forward to get there.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Finding a job is not an issue here. Finding a job that pays a living wage is nigh on impossible. Be prepared for exceedingly low wages unless you can tele-commute.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-18-2014, 03:14 PM

Jim is this you ? Don F.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I live in a manufactured home in the historic district and I have many friends in $500,000 homes. I'm sure that there are some people here who look down upon us on this side but I've never met any.

In fact, I see mixing of financial classes here more so than any place I've ever lived.

I have met some people who are clueless as the the historic district. I was once told that the historic district is not really part of The Villages. Another person once asked why they let the historic district "join" The Villages.

Those people really should read up on their Villages history. Harold Schwartz lived here as did Gary Morse and his grown children when they first came to work in the business. The first rec center, golf course, swimming pools and country clubs were established here. The first town square is still here. It's the plaza behind the Circle K at the beginning of Griffin. Everyone should walk around there sometime and see where nightly entertainment was first performed, I've spoken to residents over here that can remember when there was nothing on the other side of 441/27. There were some cows grazing and little else.

And now, the historical district is undergoing a long term comprehensive rehabilitation program. Manufactured homes are being bought up and removed by the developer. They are putting affordable cottage homes in their place.I would wager that in twenty years, these attractive, roomy site built homes will be in the majority.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 12-21-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:31 PM
Veteran member

no snobbery from me.....no one knows what kind of home you live in outside of your neighborhood. We just feel blessed to be here. The Good Lord was looking out for this fool. I enjoy being in the south in a new village. Demographically it's seems younger and because we are all new no preexisting relationships exist. We looked at all villages before we were able to buy. Many, many plus sides to living in the historic district just as all villages. Have fun and don't worry about anyone looking down on you. It's their problem and not yours.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I'm only 53 so I'll still be working. Won't be a problem finding a JOB as I am a high end computer GEEK Looking forward to get there.
Welcome and hurry down.

IMHO, the people who concern themselves with where people
live are not worth knowing.

Deloitte at Lake Mary, FL may be looking for your talents.
The new tech- center will have ONE THOUSAND Employees.

Degreed ? Certified? Drug-Free and Zero Felonies...
...with VERIFIABLE work history...$100,000 and up possible---TODAY !!!!.

There are literally HUNDREDS of 100K + jobs available right
now near Orlando for people like You,
who are prepared for today's job market.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Most people who live here and have a few extra bucks didn't start out that way. The people who are wealthy and want to have people know it ,live in neighborhoods with Tiger Woods and a lot of other people who hire someone who counts their money.

I think we are the most classless town in the world, and I mean that with all kindness and pride. I personally know of people here who have owned or run companies that employed thousands and thousands of people and I personally know people who have carefully managed to not go under, despite illness, and true bad luck and because of careful management and sacrifice and planning very carefully are able to retire and they chose here to do it, because it is affordable

People are people. I consider rich to be a state where you have no bills a roof over your head, and enough money to weather the storms and pitfalls for the rest of your life and not worry too much.. Wealthy is having that and good health. Mega rich is having all that and a family and friends who love you. And well money is good but it can't buy health or happiness. But money isn't bad, if you have worked to get it.

My husband is still working part time, because he wants to. We are both in our mid seventies and we will see our last grandson graduate college in June.

Sweetie works because he can do it easily, fairly easily and use the phone and the computer and occasionally the airplane, and he has done it so long it isn't stressful. And old habits die hard. At least that is what he says.

I have found very few people here that it matters at all, what you did, what you have or how many square feet is your roof.

At the square you can sit next to a billionaire and a guy who is carefully making it on his social security.

The historical section is a place where many of my treasured friends live. They also live in other villages too. There isn't a bad place here to choose.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-21-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattywampus View Post
Welcome and hurry down.

IMHO, the people who concern themselves with where people
live are not worth knowing.

Deloitte at Lake Mary, FL may be looking for your talents.
The new tech- center will have ONE THOUSAND Employees.

Degreed ? Certified? Drug-Free and Zero Felonies...
...with VERIFIABLE work history...$100,000 and up possible---TODAY !!!!.

There are literally HUNDREDS of 100K + jobs available right
now near Orlando for people like You,
who are prepared for today's job market.
LOL. Yes Degreed and Certified (though I haven't kept up with certs). There hasn't been a city where I can't get a job. . But I'm getting old and am trying to gear down. The top of the chain is not fun for me anymore. I miss the old sys admin days where I loved. Since I specialize in network security, I might open my own small little business. But GOD's gift of geek hasn't really given me the profit of salespeople, so budget is kind of low, but I've known many people who make far less than me, still be happy.

And also again, I just wanted to know how you guys felt about someone in the "historical" district. I'm confident if you met me on the street, you could feel less of where I live, as long as I'm living HERE!!!

OMG. I can't wait to get there.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
LOL. Yes Degreed and Certified (though I haven't kept up with certs). There hasn't been a city where I can't get a job. . But I'm getting old and am trying to gear down. The top of the chain is not fun for me anymore. I miss the old sys admin days where I loved. Since I specialize in network security, I might open my own small little business. But GOD's gift of geek hasn't really given me the profit of salespeople, so budget is kind of low, but I've known many people who make far less than me, still be happy.

And also again, I just wanted to know how you guys felt about someone in the "historical" district. I'm confident if you met me on the street, you could feel less of where I live, as long as I'm living HERE!!!

OMG. I can't wait to get there.
I think there is a huge need here for someone who has the patience to help dinosaurs such as myself handle today's technology in both phones, tablets and computers. I worked with technology, but since retiring things have gone far beyond me and I would absolutely love to have someone I could call in, or go to, for help with my problems. I have a great computer guy, but he is a real geek and does not have the time for one on one help, which is what I need to handle the new "toy" I am going to buy!

As for living in the Historic Side of TV. I have friends who live there and would not give you a thank you to live anywhere else.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-19-2014, 10:19 AM

Our first house in The Villages was a Patio Villa. One day not long after moving there, my husband was golfing with a group of men who lived in Designer houses. When they were discussing where they each lived and found out he lived in a Villa they began laughing and were very condescending toward him.

Since that time we have met very very nice people and some not so nice for various reasons while living here, but for the most part it's been great
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.