The Daily Sun: A Real Paper?

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2015, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I categorize the Daily Sun as an external house organ.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The Daily Sun has been discussed ad nauseum if you hit search above, you will find almost as many threads about it as dog poop and roundabouts.

The Daily Sun was owned directly by the developer and then sold about four years ago to a good friend of the developer. The developer rents his business the building and the equipment.

The Daily Sun covers a lot of what is happening in The Villages but if someone gets arrested, it never names names, or shows pictures or gives addresses, well hardly ever. If someone commits suicide it isn't printed and the editorial slant is conservative and the views are pro developer. It is the preferred advertising vehicle for the sales of new and used homes by the Morses and it might as well be still owned by them. It feels the same as before it was bought by Phillip Markham(?) I may have his name wrong.

It does have news feeds, almost always on the second and third pages of world news from decent sources but most of us have smart phones, computers and availability to watch TV all day and night if we want to, so a once a day summary is often old news when the paper comes out.

I used to read it every day but found in the last couple of years that I don't. I am pretty aware of what is going on in The Villages, been to all the parades once or twice and the events that are pretty much the same, but fun and new to new folks...and after a while most of us have chosen the activities that we enjoy. My husband enjoys The Sun still and reads the sports page first with his coffee in the morning.

Paper journalism everywhere is getting much less used..I thought I
would never say that.

There is not a thing wrong with the Daily Sun. It is a good conservative paper much like Ohio people grew up with.
I've always depended on television, radio, and more recently the internet to give me breaking news, and a daily newspaper to give me the next morning details about that news. Now the electronic journalism is so deep and complete that I'm beginning to think that maybe I need to change my approach. The world evolves faster than my habits!
Old 11-16-2015, 02:44 PM
Email Reported As Spam

We get the Daily Sun, Orlando Sentinel and Wall street Journal. The individual that contracted to deliver the Orlando Sentinel also delivers the Wall Street journal. the Wall Street journal has to be delivered by 7:00 AM. The previous contractor for the Orlando Sentinel had the Wall Street Journal to me by 4:00AM. I know because I sometime greeted her at the bottom of my driveway . The Sentinel has a new contractor and he often just makes the 7:00 AM deadline.

The Daily Sun and Orlando Sentinel are for my wife as it fits her needs. The Daily Sun during the week is in my driveway no later than 4:30 AM and often before that..... a little later on Saturday and Sundays
Old 11-16-2015, 04:54 PM

I like the comics and the puzzles

Only newspaper in the South that has more Big Ten than SEC coverage in the sports section

Old 11-16-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragman View Post
I like the comics and the puzzles

Only newspaper in the South that has more Big Ten than SEC coverage in the sports section

Probably also the only newspaper in the South that has more subscribers who are Big Ten fans than SEC fans.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-16-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:07 PM

If it was a real paper it would probably cost real money. You get what you pay for.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:02 PM

Don't want to get in the middle over this tired debate of whether the newspaper is a newspaper, but wanted to point out the Saturday's issue of the Sun had a big thing about the attacks. Did everyone here miss that?

It was right on the front page!

And coverage has continued in the days after, just not right out front.

Just confused as to why this is in question.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:34 PM
Veteran member

I agree. The attacks in Paris were well covered. I enjoy the paper and the info on local happenings, puzzles, comics and TV stuff. I like the sports. I get the national news on my iPad from lots of sources and instant notifications from all the major news sources. The Daily Sun has all of the info about local restaurants, clubs and I often see my friends in the paper. It is very inexpensive. It should pay for itself with coupons and specials. It fills a niche.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:48 PM
Gold member

They provide villages news, not anything of importance or substance
Old 11-16-2015, 09:12 PM
Gold member

Because of the very high level of discretionary income in The Villages the advertising revenue this paper receives drives the news content. Few papers in the entire country can compare, most are just barely hanging on. Great business model.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Buffalo Ridge Vet Clinic does collect it on Mondays for use by The Humane Society.
Not anywhere near where I shop, unfortunately. Plus if I'm not going to read most of it, subscribing to it would be a waste of trees.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
I agree. The attacks in Paris were well covered. I enjoy the paper and the info on local happenings, puzzles, comics and TV stuff. I like the sports. I get the national news on my iPad from lots of sources and instant notifications from all the major news sources. The Daily Sun has all of the info about local restaurants, clubs and I often see my friends in the paper. It is very inexpensive. It should pay for itself with coupons and specials. It fills a niche.
I often wonder if many of the folks that are quick to cut down the Sun have even read it.

There's a bunch of pages. It's much larger than my hometown paper, and the news section is pretty robust most days.

Is this perceived lack of news in the Sun because they aren't printing the police blotter and DUIs the front page every day?

I'm sorry, but that's not what interests me in a newspaper.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Is the Daily Sun a real newspaper.? Yes! , it is printed on paper with ink and it gives me news. It is delivered to my driveway early each morning and stops and starts with no problem. Does the Daily Sun report every event in the world in a timely manner?... No. Does the Daily Sun give me updated news about our area? Yes! There are plenty of sources to get up to date world news but The Daily Sun is the only place that I can depend on to tell me what is going on here in The Villages. I guess it's all about expectations and The Daily Sun meets my expectations for that news source.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:38 AM
Platinum member

Kudos to The Daily Sun today! They did a much more thorough job of covering the French news and it's international implications. Thanks.

Tags
daily, sun, coverage, paris, provide, real, news, international, newspaper, villages, making, mission, page, issues, interesting, local, beer, side, front, thought, attack, detailed, feel, paper, providing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.