The Daily Sun: A Real Paper?

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2015, 09:20 AM
Eternal Member

Great local paper!

For just 17 cents a day, I enjoy reading the local news and happenings followed by the little bit of national news. Toast and coffee with the puzzles and it is the start of another great day in The Villages.

I have the national news on-line with the USA Today and The Washington Post.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:24 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Is the Daily Sun a real newspaper.? Yes! , it is printed on paper with ink and it gives me news. It is delivered to my driveway early each morning and stops and starts with no problem. Does the Daily Sun report every event in the world in a timely manner?... No. Does the Daily Sun give me updated news about our area? Yes! There are plenty of sources to get up to date world news but The Daily Sun is the only place that I can depend on to tell me what is going on here in The Villages. I guess it's all about expectations and The Daily Sun meets my expectations for that news source.
nice post. Like other posters have said, there are several Threads on this subject. BTW you can pull up The Daily Sun on-line---not all of it but you can get a "flavor" of what is going on In TV during your travels and stays. You also have the unnamed on-line newspaper.

Bottom line---I enjoy the local papers and definitely get my 17/18 cents a day worth from reading the "parts" I enjoy in The Daily Sun.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The Daily Sun has been discussed ad nauseum if you hit search above, you will find almost as many threads about it as dog poop and roundabouts.

The Daily Sun was owned directly by the developer and then sold about four years ago to a good friend of the developer. The developer rents his business the building and the equipment.

The Daily Sun covers a lot of what is happening in The Villages but if someone gets arrested, it never names names, or shows pictures or gives addresses, well hardly ever. If someone commits suicide it isn't printed and the editorial slant is conservative and the views are pro developer. It is the preferred advertising vehicle for the sales of new and used homes by the Morses and it might as well be still owned by them. It feels the same as before it was bought by Phillip Markham(?) I may have his name wrong.

It does have news feeds, almost always on the second and third pages of world news from decent sources but most of us have smart phones, computers and availability to watch TV all day and night if we want to, so a once a day summary is often old news when the paper comes out.

I used to read it every day but found in the last couple of years that I don't. I am pretty aware of what is going on in The Villages, been to all the parades once or twice and the events that are pretty much the same, but fun and new to new folks...and after a while most of us have chosen the activities that we enjoy. My husband enjoys The Sun still and reads the sports page first with his coffee in the morning.

Paper journalism everywhere is getting much less used..I thought I
would never say that.

There is not a thing wrong with the Daily Sun. It is a good conservative paper much like Ohio people grew up with.
In the final analysis, customers (readers) will decide if the "Sun" is a useful publication. When it no longer has enough customers , it will go away. It matters little what the detractors posting on the or other Forums think or say. If it does not meet your needs -stop buying and reading . The market usually is very discerning.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Platinum member

Just to follow up and add to other comments, TV is a community of 60,000 to 100,000 people depending on the time of the year. The DS services this community. Name me another newpaper for a community the same size that is similar to the TV? This probably cannot be done. It is crazy if you start comparing the DS to the NY Post, LA Times, WSJ, etc. These are national newspapers and services a different audiance.

If your looking for "national" news, look on line or watch on TV. If you want to know what is happening in TV and surrounding area, the DS has you covered. As been mentioned before, no one is making you read or subscribe to the DS, if you do not like it, don't subscribe.

I provided the DS to my renters. Most if not all would mention in their reviews that it was nice to receive the local paper on a daily basis.

Last edited by Mleeja; 11-19-2015 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Gold member

For me, it's worth the price for the "Wheels" section on Friday.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:23 AM
Sage

I wish I could have The Daily Sun only on Wednesdays for the ads and Thursday's for the Rec section. But if I bought just those papers it would cost about as much as an annual subscription plus having to go out and buy them. So I continue to subscribe.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 11-19-2015, 12:41 PM

Certainly it is primarily an advertising vehicle, both to attract new buyers with positive stories regarding all the activities going on here in The Villages, and also to keep current residents upbeat about The Villages "lifestyle". You will find little coverage of issues that could be considered negative to the desired image (such as concerns about recurring bad odors in neighborhoods close to the landfill).
There is coverage of national or international news, but by the time such stories are published, I have already read them (sometimes word for word) in other sources. The only current news of interest to me, I find in the sports section.
But it does contain useful info about local happenings, so I do subscribe.
Basically, it is what it is. Take it or leave it.

Last edited by zonerboy; 11-19-2015 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-19-2015, 01:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
Certainly it is primarily an advertising vehicle, both to attract new buyers with positive stories regarding all the activities going on here in The Villages, and also to keep current residents upbeat about The Villages "lifestyle". You will find little coverage of issues that could be considered negative to the desired image (such as concerns about recurring bad odors in neighborhoods close to the landfill).

There is coverage of national or international news, but by the time such stories are published, I have already read them (sometimes word for word) in other sources. The only current news useful to me I find in the sports section.

But it does contain useful info about local happening, so I do subscribe.

This should be submitted as an op-ed [emoji106]
Old 11-20-2015, 06:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
There is coverage of national or international news, but by the time such stories are published, I have already read them (sometimes word for word) in other sources. The only current news of interest to me, I find in the sports section.
But it does contain useful info about local happenings, so I do subscribe.
Bingo - you nailed it. I think most people just use it to find out about local happenings, and it does a good job of that, at least things like recreational activities and the like. It used to really skimp on anything negative in the community like golf cart accidents, arrests, crime reporting, etc., but supposedly it is doing a better job lately. Any serious news we want in a timely manner we can find online or on television news, or via other newspapers such as the Orlando paper. The DS is what it is.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:47 PM

Most decent newspapers now have e-versions that are extremely easy to read and navigate on a tablet. I am now in India on business and read The Atlanta Journal every morning . No more wasted paper, messy ink, and it looks and reads exactly like the paper version, complete with ads and coupons. The Daily Sun is nothing but a kool-aid rag.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chipster View Post
Most decent newspapers now have e-versions that are extremely easy to read and navigate on a tablet. I am now in India on business and read The Atlanta Journal every morning . No more wasted paper, messy ink, and it looks and reads exactly like the paper version, complete with ads and coupons. The Daily Sun is nothing but a kool-aid rag.
I do believe they would boost their readership if they offered a digital version. there are so few retirees these days who don't know how to use a computer. What is the DS waiting for?
Old 11-22-2015, 02:32 PM

The Daily Sun is an information source with what's going on around our Retirement Community. I for one love browsing through the sun everyday without being burdened with the real world problems that I came here to get away from. I have done my part and to be frank, most of us here are to old to do anything but get in the way of the younger folks that prefer we would stand back and let the professionals take care of crime. Keep up the good work Daily Sun.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I love reading the Daily Sun. It not only provides locally interesting light news about the goings on in TV; it features wonderful editorials.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-22-2015, 03:16 PM

I believe the Sun is little more than what we used to call a "shopper". It exists primarily to advertise houses in The Villages, businesses that exist to serve people in The Villages, and to espouse a particular political point of view that agrees with the developer of The Villages. If you want real, hard news, keep doing what you're doing, but you might also want to add the Miami Herald in the mix for their columnists and their statewide coverage.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-22-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
daily, sun, coverage, paris, provide, real, news, international, newspaper, villages, making, mission, page, issues, interesting, local, beer, side, front, thought, attack, detailed, feel, paper, providing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.