DAV (Disabled American Veterans)

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Gold member
Default DAV (Disabled American Veterans)

A fool and their money are soon parted!
Got the annual solicitation for funds today from DAV (Disabled American Veterans) complete with free return address labels, calendar and greeting card. Did a little research and found that there are over 1000 organizations doing business as the DAV. One of the Charity Check websites didn't even evaluate this orgainization as they are not registered and tax exempt. Another rated them as a D rating. It seems that their administrative costs are larger than they charity distribution. (56 cents of every dollar) Beware who you send money to. CLICK HERE

Xavier
Old 02-09-2017, 11:32 PM

I am a DAV life member. It means I paid the dues and I met the requirements. I have used the DAV life membership programs (moving discounts with Allied) and I know the DAV does help people who do not have a service connection to maybe get it. With that said, if you meet the requirements (injury in combat) then just go to their website. You can also always call them. The address labels are nice however the post office says you do not have to pay for anything sent to you unsolicited so if someone wants to send you labels, money, whatever, you can keep it and owe them nothing.

The DAV has offices in most VA medical centers and clinics, and they may be VA employees (I don't know) but they are paid, so 56 cents to the dollar seems okay if they are getting veterans the treatment and payment they deserve.

Anyone have questions about this, I can talk more.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:11 AM

The charitable trust arm of the DAV has a pretty high rating at Charity Navigator:

Charity Navigator - Rating for DAV (Disabled American Veterans) Charitable Service Trust
Old 02-10-2017, 04:49 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
A fool and their money are soon parted!
Got the annual solicitation for funds today from DAV (Disabled American Veterans) complete with free return address labels, calendar and greeting card. Did a little research and found that there are over 1000 organizations doing business as the DAV. One of the Charity Check websites didn't even evaluate this orgainization as they are not registered and tax exempt. Another rated them as a D rating. It seems that their administrative costs are larger than they charity distribution. (56 cents of every dollar) Beware who you send money to. CLICK HERE

Xavier
I know the feeling. I today's world you just do not know whether the organization is legitimate and if legitimate that the majority of contributions are going to the intended people in need.

so i resolved the problem by sending my charity contributions to St. Jude's only
Old 02-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
The charitable trust arm of the DAV has a pretty high rating at Charity Navigator:

Charity Navigator - Rating for DAV (Disabled American Veterans) Charitable Service Trust
Strange, this is what I got from Chairity Navigator CLICK HERE

Xavier
Old 02-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

Xavier
I too use Charity Navigator (thanks for the Charity Watch link though )...and found this.

Follow the Money: Beware of Groups that Pass Your Donations to Inefficient Charities | Disabled American Veterans | Wounded Warrior Project | CharityWatch

Quote:
Say that you hear on a news report that a veterans charity has a program percentage of 96%. You think, “Wow, I’m going to donate $50 because almost all of it will be used for the needs of veterans,” and so without further thought, you go ahead and make a $50 donation that day.

It turns out, though, that instead of about $48 of your $50 going to veterans services, only about $25 was used for such programs. If the charity really spends 96% on programs, how is that possible?

It turns out that DAV’s program spending is significantly lower than the 96% that the Trust reports spending on grants to veterans organizations.

DAV spent only 50% of its cash budget on programs and had a $56 cost to raise every $100 in funds, based on its 2014 operations, yielding a “D” grade from CharityWatch. Similarly, DAV’s program percentage was just 49% in 2013.

Therefore, although on its financial statements the Trust may seem to be spending donor money extremely efficiently, the reality is that a material portion of that money is handed over to DAV where only about 50% of cash expenditures go towards veterans program services

If you read through my link, there is obviously some issues and I would even say...some deception going on.

I used to be a supporter of the Wounded Warrior Project, until finding out through Charity Navigator...that they aren't the kind of organization I trust.

Using the word 'veteran' in regards to a charity, obviously elicits empathy from most decent Americans, but it burns me up to find out how little goes...to those who actually need it.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:34 PM

2 days ago

WWP cleared
Wounded Warrior Project cleared of ‘spending lavishly,’ report finds - The Washington Post
Better Business Bureau Says No 'Lavish Spending' by WWP | Military.com

and both DAV and WWP are on this
Accredited Charity List

I trust the Better Business Bureau
Old 02-11-2017, 01:27 AM

Quote:

Xavier
I believe there is a difference between the DAV and the DAV trust. The trust is a trusted charity (shown in the link on my OP). The DAV on its own is not evaluated by Charity Navigator.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:21 AM

if you have questions about the DAV, its probably best to ask actually DAV members.

To be eligible:
Any man or woman, who was wounded, gassed, injured or disabled in the line of duty during time of war, while in the service of either the military or naval forces of the United States of America, and who has not been dishonorably discharged or separated from such service, or who may still be in active service in the armed forces of the United States of America is eligible for membership in the Disabled American Veterans. Others who are disabled while serving with any of the armed forces of any nations associated with the United States of America as allies during any of its war periods, who are American citizens and who are honorably discharged, are also eligible.

D.A.V. Elgibility

Since the DAV doesn't get government money and helps so many veterans, I don't think its a bad thing to give a little if you can. What is the harm? I can tell you as someone who used their services in the past that they are helping veterans and they are understaffed because when an injured veteran from a conflict, say the one going on now, has to file paperwork, they go to the big three (American Legion, DAV and the VFW). Those people act on the person's behalf, does all the paperwork, and guides the veteran through the process and the appeals.

I personally could care less if they took cruises and had strippers and it was paid for with the money donated. Just think if you were in a bomb blast: scars everywhere, traumatized, you can't hear, teeth missing, and your thinking is off now. Now think if all you wanted to do was serve the United States and you wish you didn't get injured so you can continue to help America.

Now consider being discharged, you come home, you get a little money from the military and are told to file your claim with the Veterans Affairs. Now think of the VA understaffed and having to weed through all the paperwork.

Now organizations like the DAV help get the paperwork in order. Not everyone is 100% disabled. Not everyone is disabled at all. The VA gets everything. Now try to call the VA 800 number as its the only number you can call on your benefits. Now, with your injuries, you have 2-3 years to wait, and they denied you. The DAV will still stick by your side and continue to help you get what, if anything, you deserve.

So what if they eat steak. God bless the DAV and the other service organizations. Its the work they do, not where the money goes. Someone has to run it, someone has to do the leg work, and someone has to set everything up.

I know this is long, but on a side note: I was active in the DAV as a member going to the meetings and every month we voted on how to help veterans, if they met the membership criteria or not. If there was a veteran who couldn't pay the rent for a month, we gave him the money. We never turned down requests. We were limited but if it could be done, it was done.

The DAV is not ripping anyone off.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
I believe there is a difference between the DAV and the DAV trust. The trust is a trusted charity (shown in the link on my OP). The DAV on its own is not evaluated by Charity Navigator.
... and please note my thread starter was not about what you interjected into the conversation. I have no knowledge about the trust. I was talking about a solicitation received in the mail that appears less than what one would expect.

Xavier
Old 02-17-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
... and please note my thread starter was not about what you interjected into the conversation. I have no knowledge about the trust. I was talking about a solicitation received in the mail that appears less than what one would expect.

Xavier
They work hand in hand with each other do they not? There appears to be a much more knowledgeable fellow above. Maybe he can interject some information you would approve of.
Closed Thread

Tags
dav, disabled, american, charity, veterans

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.