Debating ownership

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Default Debating ownership

My wife and I semi-retired to the Windermere area in 2010. She continued working a couple of days in medicine and I worked the same days for the MOUSE. Now for a variety of reasons, we are debating a final, complete retirement move to the Villages. However, we have a few questions that can only be answered by current Villagers based on their own experience. Reading the "newbie" boards give lots of good advice but we want to hear answers directly from the "horse's" mouth. Here goes:

1. We are not golfers. Will we be accepted even though we are non-golfers?
2. We prefer to stay together as a couple. With all the "men's activities" and "women's activities".....will we have issues not participating in separate activities?
3. We are not into competitive activities. Will our desire to not participate in competition hurt us with friends?
4. Can one play a "fun" round of golf as a couple or a game of pickleball just as a couple for exercise?
5. Are there any groups that get together without memberships, dues, or parlimentary meetings?
6. If your village contains a majority of people who are dedicated to highly organized, competitive groups, how do you meet people from other villages who may fit your lifestyle more comfortably?

We are 65 and 64, reasonably active, friendly and outgoing. But we are not competitive with each other with little desire to be competitive with our neighbors. Our idea of a perfect retirement is sitting at the pool with our friends just watching another beautiful day pass us by in Florida. Can we move to the Villages and do just that?
Old 08-27-2016, 11:03 AM
Default Welcome to the club

You actually sound like most of us. C'mon in.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:07 AM
Sage

I think the answer to every one of your questions is the one you would like to hear. Your can hear tons about The Villages (TV), good and bad, pro and con, from a lot of sources. But in my experience TV is what you make of it...like most other places. You just have more options for what you make of it than most places.

If you like competition, it's readily available. But if you don't, nobody's gonna give a hoot.

Of course TV is known as a golfing community. But again, many don't play golf at all. Nobody thinks any differently of those that don't . In fact, that applies to any activity you choose. My wife and I play golf and other sports, just the two of us when we choose, no problem at all. Then we join others when we feel like it.

There are tons of activities for individuals AND couples. And as a couple, there's plenty to do for just the two of you, and plenty to do joining other couples.

Most groups I've partaken in have been very casual. Some are a bit more regimented. But I've yet to run into any that were too much so.

Finally, I only live in one village of course, but I'd be surprised if there any villages so dominated by organized, competitive groups that you couldn't find others who more fit your lifestyle.

In summary, while TV is very unique in many ways, it's just a community...a community with lots of stuff to do . Maybe TV has a bit more commonality between residents...the retirement lifestyle...than most places, but it's just a place to live your life in a manner that you choose.

By the way, I may sound like a TV fanboy, but I'm not. It has issues to deal with just like everyplace else. Do I like the place? Of course I do. But I truly believe that it is what I said earlier...just what you make it out to be...with lots of options.

In other words...what Chipster said!!

Last edited by Polar Bear; 08-27-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH7SS View Post
My wife and I semi-retired to the Windermere area in 2010. She continued working a couple of days in medicine and I worked the same days for the MOUSE. Now for a variety of reasons, we are debating a final, complete retirement move to the Villages. However, we have a few questions that can only be answered by current Villagers based on their own experience. Reading the "newbie" boards give lots of good advice but we want to hear answers directly from the "horse's" mouth. Here goes:

2. We prefer to stay together as a couple. With all the "men's activities" and "women's activities".....will we have issues not participating in separate activities?
3. We are not into competitive activities. Will our desire to not participate in competition hurt us with friends?
4. Can one play a "fun" round of golf as a couple or a game of pickleball just as a couple for exercise?
5. Are there any groups that get together without memberships, dues, or parlimentary meetings?
6. If your village contains a majority of people who are dedicated to highly organized, competitive groups, how do you meet people from other villages who may fit your lifestyle more comfortably?

We are 65 and 64, reasonably active, friendly and outgoing. But we are not competitive with each other with little desire to be competitive with our neighbors. Our idea of a perfect retirement is sitting at the pool with our friends just watching another beautiful day pass us by in Florida. Can we move to the Villages and do just that?
You can do anything you want and with whom you want to do it except for certain activities on the bandstand at night.

No Village is the same and I know of not one that has a reputation for any kind of group, especially competitive group. I go to ceramics, art studio and play golf, when I want to where I want to and with whom I want to and no one has ever used Roberts Rules of Order anyplace here in the almost ten years we have been here.BUT...we are expected to keep the pace on the golf course.

Lots of people do things as couples and some even dress alike. I am not competitive at anything and I am a poor golfer, although I have done it for more than forty years. On the other hand my husband is good at it and I would guess he gives it his best shot each time, because golf is really a competition against your own best game.

Most people seem to be very casual here about everything, especially membership in groups and particularly in how they dress. Rec centers have rules about dues and they expect for you to never have a money making enterprise in recreation facilities.

After awhile people make friends with those who make them feel comfortable and as fours or sixes or eights may go out to dinner or to each others houses for dessert.

It is a wonderful place for mostly traditional older people with a good sense of humor, and acquired life skills like patience, acceptance and appreciation of each day that is given us.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:17 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

Based on what you are are looking for, you will fit in great and enjoy doing the things you two want to do. Come on up..
Old 08-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Sage

Quote:

Succinct answers:
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. No.
4. Yes.
5. Yes.
6. Just open your mouth and start talking. TV is a friendly community. You do as much or as little as you want. Some people have been known to cut back on activities, as they get tired of a busty schedule.

Don't think of people as strangers but friends you haven't met yet!

Your last paragraph, the answer is yes!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Eternal Member

The Dine In/Dine Out Club is a great way to meet friends. It is a dining group that meets once a quarter - you are paired up with 3 other couples and go out to dinner (or dine at home) with them.

We have met some very good friends through this club.

As other posters have said, there are clubs for about any activity. Competition is not required in most.

Doing things as a couple is wonderful - but always?? I love Mrs. Trap dearly but I also enjoy some activities without her!
Old 08-27-2016, 01:34 PM
Sage
Default Debating ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
The Dine In/Dine Out Club is a great way to meet friends...
What?!? A gourmet club, ST? I always figured you for more of a chili dog kinda guy.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:31 PM

I certainly appreciate all the answers so far. We've been up there a few times and love what we see. So now I have some solid answers to my questions. Might be time for a Lifestyle Visit??
Old 08-27-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Can we move to the Villages and do just that?
I sure hope so, that's exactly why we did ;-)
--
Bob C
Old 08-27-2016, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
I certainly appreciate all the answers so far. We've been up there a few times and love what we see. So now I have some solid answers to my questions. Might be time for a Lifestyle Visit??
I say go for it. And if you do go on a Lifestyle Visit, let us know what you think.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

We belong to clubs that have couples, and singles or widowed. It's not any difference for either.

Other half is retired, and plays golf everyday. If he wants competition there are golf groups for that. On other days he plays with who ever is paired up with him as a single. In the summer he teaches golf to 6 thru 14 year olds. If you have the patience for really young new golfers, you can play with anyone.

You will always find someone who thinks they play like a pro and will let you know that. We have only twice asked the ambassador to let us play back due someone we have been paired with since 2007.

Come on down stay awhile you will either love this place, or not. Rent for awhile and see how you would settle in.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,203 Times in 2,271 Posts

Quote:

1. We are not golfers. Will we be accepted even though we are non-golfers? I do not golf, and I think the other golfers are saying THANK YOU!!!
2. We prefer to stay together as a couple. With all the "men's activities" and "women's activities".....will we have issues not participating in separate activities?Separate activities can actually work out very well, you have fun with the Car Guys, she has fun with the Mahjong group or similar. Bowling, tennis, pickle ball, billiards, and lots of other activities are co-ed.
3. We are not into competitive activities. Will our desire to not participate in competition hurt us with friends?Many of our friends we met through "competitive sports", so I believe you will find you will meet and make more friends with these.
4. Can one play a "fun" round of golf as a couple or a game of pickleball just as a couple for exercise?I will let others reply, I am dangerous on the golf course, and I am not allowed to play pickleball due to bad knee.
5. Are there any groups that get together without memberships, dues, or parlimentary meetings?Yes, there are almost 3000 clubs, you will need to go to at least one initial meeting to see if it meets your requirements.
6. If your village contains a majority of people who are dedicated to highly organized, competitive groups, how do you meet people from other villages who may fit your lifestyle more comfortably?This is the Villages, I personally have not found a super competitive person here yet, unless you consider golf cart speed a competitive sport.

Yes, yes, yes, but you will have a lot more fun getting involved in the many activities offer in our slice of heaven.

[COLOR="red"]Personally, we bowl 3 times per week, these are friendly games, not USBC sanctioned, but they have sanctioned leagues also. We enjoy the FRIENDLY competition and after almost three years, I do not recall any bad feelings. We occasionally go out to dinner (winners and losers). /COLOR]
Old 08-27-2016, 08:57 PM
Platinum member

I love round robin tennis. It's so friendly to play games, sit on the bench for a few minutes, chat with your friends, then do another round. No scores are kept from game to game. You play with different folks each round. Social, relaxing, and fun. And you don't have to call and get subs. Just show up if you want to play. Love it.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You can do anything you want and with whom you want to do it except for certain activities on the bandstand at night.

No Village is the same and I know of not one that has a reputation for any kind of group, especially competitive group. I go to ceramics, art studio and play golf, when I want to where I want to and with whom I want to and no one has ever used Roberts Rules of Order anyplace here in the almost ten years we have been here.BUT...we are expected to keep the pace on the golf course.

Lots of people do things as couples and some even dress alike. I am not competitive at anything and I am a poor golfer, although I have done it for more than forty years. On the other hand my husband is good at it and I would guess he gives it his best shot each time, because golf is really a competition against your own best game.

Most people seem to be very casual here about everything, especially membership in groups and particularly in how they dress. Rec centers have rules about dues and they expect for you to never have a money making enterprise in recreation facilities.

After awhile people make friends with those who make them feel comfortable and as fours or sixes or eights may go out to dinner or to each others houses for dessert.

It is a wonderful place for mostly traditional older people with a good sense of humor, and acquired life skills like patience, acceptance and appreciation of each day that is given us.
They might use Robert's Rules of Order at the Civil Discourse meetings, which are held 2× per month and are open to all Villagers... wink!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
couple, competitive, activities, villages, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.