Defective pool tables at some rec centers

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2016, 01:07 PM
Default Defective pool tables at some rec centers

Balls keep popping out of pockets.Sure wish rec dept would take care of this ongoing problem............
Old 09-15-2016, 01:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlaur View Post
Balls keep popping out of pockets.Sure wish rec dept would take care of this ongoing problem............

Deeper pockets ?
Old 09-15-2016, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Call John Rohan's Office. Bogie will be here soon with the number, I feel it in my bones.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

I find this problem on proline tables, some Rec centers are working on pockets. I know at Chatham they are a lot better. But it they don't align right it takes lot of shims to get it close. I guess parts for proline are scarce? Proline pockets are set deep which aggregates the problem cause the ball won't drop just bobble back and forth.

IMO The oldhusen tables are newer and pockets are tighter, they seem to be better, but the tighter pocket makes it harder, nearly as hard as snooker table.

I thought the proline table were junk and I noticed right off balls flopping out of pockets playing eight ball and nine ball cause I usually shoot too hard depending on the cloth used? That why I like one pocket or straight. I seem to concentrate more.

I wish they would have REC center with Brunswick gold crown 8 foot tables. Most pool played on 8 foot or less tables IMO. Most pros play on 9 and 10 foot tables. Not every golf course is made to be the hardest course possible, so why do all the pool tables have to pro 9 footers?
Old 09-15-2016, 02:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Deeper pockets ?
No, deep pocket make the misaligned pocket worse. The bobble head effect.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:57 PM

The problem is that the angle-cut of the cushions are too wide at the pockets. It makes for a wider pocket but when a ball hits the cushion inside the pocket it's thrown against the other cushion...and then rattles away from the pocket.

The angle-cut should be 141 degrees (Diamond and Brunswick Gold Crowns). At 141 degrees the pocket is tighter but the cushion rebounds the ball toward the pocket, not out of it. (Yes, you can still rattle a ball in a 141 degree pocket, but it's MUCH less common).

The ProLine pockets at O'Dell are 144-145 degrees. You can't shoot down the rail with any speed at all. The ball will just rattle out. In fact, a ball coming from any direction stands a good chance of rattling out if you hit the inside of the pocket cushion.

This is a symtom of the fact that The Villages buys pool tables for "decor", not playability. They are "furniture tables" meant to look good; how they play is an after-thought to the manufacturer (because they know the customer is buying for appearances).

The sad part is that they probably pay more for a crappy furniture table than they'd pay for the best commercial table (a Diamond ProAm, which is a beautiful table but it doesn't have a decorative theme).
Old 09-15-2016, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

On the subject of Pool. Daughter of our friends was at Chula Vista Pool and two guys came running out that had been arguing and then physically fighting in the indoor pool room. One was bleeding. We should hear about it in the online news I bet. One was arrested.

There is trouble right here in River City. And it starts with P...........
Old 09-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdorman View Post
The problem is that the angle-cut of the cushions are too wide at the pockets. It makes for a wider pocket but when a ball hits the cushion inside the pocket it's thrown against the other cushion...and then rattles away from the pocket.

The angle-cut should be 141 degrees (Diamond and Brunswick Gold Crowns). At 141 degrees the pocket is tighter but the cushion rebounds the ball toward the pocket, not out of it. (Yes, you can still rattle a ball in a 141 degree pocket, but it's MUCH less common).

The ProLine pockets at O'Dell are 144-145 degrees. You can't shoot down the rail with any speed at all. The ball will just rattle out. In fact, a ball coming from any direction stands a good chance of rattling out if you hit the inside of the pocket cushion.

This is a symtom of the fact that The Villages buys pool tables for "decor", not playability. They are "furniture tables" meant to look good; how they play is an after-thought to the manufacturer (because they know the customer is buying for appearances).

The sad part is that they probably pay more for a crappy furniture table than they'd pay for the best commercial table (a Diamond ProAm, which is a beautiful table but it doesn't have a decorative theme).

I was stumped why I rattled so many balls on proline tables. Thank you !
Old 09-15-2016, 04:03 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=graciegirl;1289549]On the subject of Pool. Daughter of our friends was at Chula Vista Pool and two guys came running out that had been arguing and then physically fighting in the indoor pool room. One was bleeding. We should hear about it in the online news I bet. One was arrested.

There is trouble right here in River City. And it starts with P...........[/QUOTE

Chula has some good oldhusen tables, " bet "in was over proline table:

I've heard more loud voices at the shuffleboard courts. I think it's poor sports or Loooosers more than the game they're playing!?!
Old 09-15-2016, 05:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdorman View Post

///

Last edited by bagboy; 09-16-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:08 PM

you rrite bagboy...but when it happens over and over somethings wrong with the table...
Old 09-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlaur View Post
Just hit the object ball harder. That should work.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:49 PM
Sage

They will be installing experimental tables with wider pockets, 8 inches I think.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=Topspinmo;1289567]
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
On the subject of Pool. Daughter of our friends was at Chula Vista Pool and two guys came running out that had been arguing and then physically fighting in the indoor pool room. One was bleeding. We should hear about it in the online news I bet. One was arrested.

There is trouble right here in River City. And it starts with P...........[/QUOTE

Chula has some good oldhusen tables, " bet "in was over proline table:

I've heard more loud voices at the shuffleboard courts. I think it's poor sports or Loooosers more than the game they're playing!?!
aint that the truth
Old 09-26-2016, 10:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
They will be installing experimental tables with wider pockets, 8 inches I think.
O good I might be able to run the table?

The 6 inch golf holes didn't help I still shot over par!
Closed Thread

Tags
rec, dept, pray, care, ongoing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.