Is the Pope Catholic?
Old 12-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
Is the Pope Catholic?
Some Catholics don't think so

Is the Pope Catholic? Critics Rally Around Benedict As Talk of Schism Looms - The Daily Beast
Old 12-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

///

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-15-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Wellll.... I know I'm not an alcoholic, because alcoholics go to meetings and I don't go to meetings.
My parents always told me, don't be a quitter !!
Besides, I only drink on days that end with a "y".
just kidding.
Bonny,

That made my day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:32 PM

I do
Old 12-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I have learned over the years to limit when I drink and since doing so has helped signigicantly....I ONLY drink when alone or with somebody
Old 12-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I have learned over the years to limit when I drink and since doing so has helped signigicantly....I ONLY drink when alone or with somebody
Old 12-15-2014, 10:05 PM
Veteran member

A LOT of alcohol is consumed in TV. My personal observation is that many go for quantity (and LOW cost) over quality. Just check w/ any retailer and they'll confirm that. When we first moved here and stopped in Kindred Spirits I saw a big display of large plastic bottles of scotch. I told the sales guy I had never heard of the brand and he just said it was cheap and it was alcohol - two of The Villagers' favorite things. Five and six dollar wine also flies off the shelf, too.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXNana View Post
I haven't spent a lot of time in The Villages, the bars are restaurants and people may have been eating rather than drinking. I don't recall any bars where the intent is simply to drink and only snacks are served.
What about the drink shacks at the town squares? We don't drink (just choose not to) & were a little shocked when we saw these at each of the town squares on our Lifestyle visit. Sure seemed to us that quite a few villagers like their alcohol.

And what about the new World of Beer at Brownwood? They may only serve beer & wine, but couldn't it be called a bar? No food served there, is there?

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 12-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
....And what about the new World of Beer at Brownwood? They may only serve beer & wine, but couldn't it be called a bar? No food served there, is there?
World of Beer has been open for about a year in Brownwood with a new Restaurant coming to Spanish Springs soon and in fact it has a full bar with all its theme beer's from around the world as well as wine and liquor. And yes, they serve very good food....so no, it is not just a bar, but a nice place to enjoy food and drink.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:42 PM

if you look at the sign on the wall of the World of Beer, it shows the number of drinks their members have "enjoyed" at their establishment. One person I remember in particular has had more than 700 drinks there. (I actually think it was more than 9oo, but I am not sure) Like someone said, the store has been opened about a year. Of course that only included what was consumed there. I personally think there is a LOT of alcohol consumed in TV. I have been to numerous parties, and have NEVER been to a party where there was no alcohol. I am not a drinker, so maybe I notice it more than some. I also come from a fairly big area, but it was not the norm for people to drink at dinner, and def. not at lunch. Most of the times we are out to dinner, we are in the very few who do not consume alcohol. I guess there are areas of the country where it is common to order alcohol with meals, and if they can do that with responsibility, I have no problem with that. I will say that I rarely see anyone intoxicated in the restaurants-the squares are a very different story.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:01 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Well, let me put it this way. I've never met someone who drinks too much who thinks he/she does until they quit. Do you know what I mean?

We've lived in three different retirement communities and have friends that live in two others that we visit and my unscientific observation is that retirement community residents do drink a bit more. We also socialize more often too---thus drink more socially.

OP, I think you are probably correct in your observation of alcohol consumption. The Village squares as designed do encourage drinking. One or two drinks no problem but one drink after another over a three to five hour period is too much. I have friends who drink too much----fortunately they are not obnoxious and dont drink and drive---nothing worse than an obnoxious drunk.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

There has not been anything said in this thread that does not apply to almost any city one can name.
TV is a retirement "resort ". Resorts are different than everyday life in other cities.

For a population center of over 100,000 residents I amsurprised by what some are surprised at
Old 12-16-2014, 12:14 AM

I have at least tripled my drinking since coming to the Villages. I used to average about 2 or 3 drinks a year. Now I might be averaging one a month.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:07 AM
Veteran member

We're renting in Quail Ridge and it appearsthat my wonderful neighbors here are not heavy on the drinking which is fine with me. But, who knows what goes on behind closed doors?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.