Don't fall for this scam that comes in the mail

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2017, 06:00 PM
Sage
Default Don't fall for this scam that comes in the mail

Don't fall for a gold envelope with a letter and a black pull tab and scratch off in it that says you are a finalist for a 2017 Toyota Prius Hybrid Hybrid Giveaway. This comes in the mail. I got one today and it looks very convincing. I saw that it came from PVS LLC and did some research. Here's a link to the scammer's info. There is a picture of the envelope in this link.

Marketing by Deception (Once Again) | Playing in the World Game
Old 02-24-2017, 06:34 PM
Veteran member

Yeah, I called them (expecting that it was a come-on). Script-reading guy started the spiel...I interrupted, asking if I have to come and listen to a sales spiel (presumably a timeshare)? "Yes," he said. To which I politely said, "Good bye!"
Same ol', same ol!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:52 PM

Scratch-offs in the mail are always winners. Recipients who follow up on them, not so much.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:22 PM
Gold member

The terms & conditions on the back confirm that it is a travel package promotion, just like the scam phone calls.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I enjoy opening these, scratching off the seal to reveal the number that I already know will be a winner, then I promptly throw in the trash, oops, sorry, the recycling.....
Old 02-24-2017, 11:25 PM

I received one today. Ripped the plastic thingy off, and recycled the rest. When I can't find the company name easily, it is junk.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:47 PM

Most of mine come with a dead battery in the thingie, so I don't know if I'm a winner or not.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

How would the USPS survive financially if it wasn't for these mailings? As most of us no doubt, about 3/4 of the stuff in our box is 'junk mail'. You name it, they send it. If 'they' get one bite from 250, and able to close and get $$$, it pays for the 249 that end up in the trash.

I especially hate those huge cardboardy 12"x15" shiny mailings from the car dealers - some include a key that "could fit" a brand new car - stop in and try!!!! I won't bore you with the rest of the junk we all get. My gripe is that most of it has our names and address, so don't simply pitch it right at the postal depot - have to sort thru at home for that one piece of REAL mail. And recycle the rest after tearing off our info... And, yes there are the times when one envelope appears so authentic and urgent and important, that I open....and....yep, JUNK.

And don't get me started on marketing junk phone calls. Thankfully, able to screen those easily. But still - irritating. I decided to 'sponsor' a Central American child starting years ago with credible agency - Child Fund. Makes me feel good that one kid is -hopefully- is helped a bit with some $$ I can easily afford. However I get the usual mailing each month or so asking for more $$$. But, for the last month or so, almost every afternoon we get a phone call from "ChildFund" - goes unanswered and no voicemail. I'm certain they want to ask for $$$. Do not want to answer as that would confirm our #. I plan to write to them and threaten to quit if this wasteful marketing doesn't halt. Probably won't matter - it's the 250 to 1 hit rate thing...
Old 02-25-2017, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post

And don't get me started on marketing junk phone calls. Thankfully, able to screen those easily. But still - irritating. I decided to 'sponsor' a Central American child starting years ago with credible agency - Child Fund. Makes me feel good that one kid is -hopefully- is helped a bit with some $$ I can easily afford. However I get the usual mailing each month or so asking for more $$$. But, for the last month or so, almost every afternoon we get a phone call from "ChildFund" - goes unanswered and no voicemail. I'm certain they want to ask for $$$. Do not want to answer as that would confirm our #. I plan to write to them and threaten to quit if this wasteful marketing doesn't halt. Probably won't matter - it's the 250 to 1 hit rate thing...
Interesting post .......... the highlighted sentence really brings to ones attention the abuse you get when you do support a charity. They are NEVER satisfied, does not matter what you send it is NEVER enough, which is why we no longer provide help to many organizations that we would like to help. We now give mainly to the Salvation Army in cash, and once a year by check.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-25-2017, 03:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
I decided to 'sponsor' a Central American child starting years ago with credible agency - Child Fund. Makes me feel good that one kid is -hopefully- is helped a bit with some $$ I can easily afford. However I get the usual mailing each month or so asking for more $$$. But, for the last month or so, almost every afternoon we get a phone call from "ChildFund" - .
Ever notice all these places want $19 per month? Funny how supporting a wounded vet, child or animal cost the same.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I recently received one of these mailings and after scratching it off...found out that I had won!

After sending a check for $2,357.62 for administration costs...my new free Samsung refrigerator should be here soon.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 02-25-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Gold member

We send a contribution to St Jude Children's hospital once or twice a year. We now get a request mailer every week.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

How about this email I received the other day.

"Hello Sir,

My name is Oras Ghazi Ali Albareh, I served Late Col. Muammar Gaddafi as underground intelligent officer before the Libya crisis, I am sending you this message in respect of a two-trunk boxes deposited in a private security vault under the command of my late Col. Muammar Gaddafi before the uprising gained grand.

The two-trunk boxes contain United States Dollars currency and each trunk box contain undisclosed amount worth Seventeen Million Dollars.

All the documents about this deposit are fully secured in my control, I need your support to take ownership of this deposit and process the assets for a productive investment under your strict supervision.

I personally made this deposit and I will be giving you more information as soon as you respond, but please can you promised my safety with all this information am about to release to you on this transaction?

Kindy respond by email.

Thanks

Oras Ghazi Ali Albareh"

Should I respond?
Old 02-25-2017, 09:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
How would the USPS survive financially if it wasn't for these mailings? As most of us no doubt, about 3/4 of the stuff in our box is 'junk mail'.
Is it possible in Florida to ask the postal service to not deliver junk mail to a postal box?
I'd call the post office and ask, but the phone always rings busy.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
How about this email I received the other day.

"Hello Sir,

My name is Oras Ghazi Ali Albareh, I served Late Col. Muammar Gaddafi as underground intelligent officer before the Libya crisis, I am sending you this message in respect of a two-trunk boxes deposited in a private security vault under the command of my late Col. Muammar Gaddafi before the uprising gained grand.

The two-trunk boxes contain United States Dollars currency and each trunk box contain undisclosed amount worth Seventeen Million Dollars.

All the documents about this deposit are fully secured in my control, I need your support to take ownership of this deposit and process the assets for a productive investment under your strict supervision.

I personally made this deposit and I will be giving you more information as soon as you respond, but please can you promised my safety with all this information am about to release to you on this transaction?

Kindy respond by email.

Thanks

Oras Ghazi Ali Albareh"

Should I respond?
Absolutely you should contact him...you could become rich!!

First though, ask him if "each trunk box contain undisclosed amount"... how does he know they are "worth Seventeen Million Dollars?"

Good luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
fall, link, hybrid, envelope, mail

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.