Erica. Anyone worried about this?

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2015, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts
Default Erica. Anyone worried about this?

https://www.facebook.com/martiesaltw...06155042959353

We used to live in Palm Harbor and it seemed to be the target of all 2004 hurricanes that passed through Florida back then. I do hope the Villages' luck with these storms continues.

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/eri...06155042959353
Old 08-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Platinum member

I moved from Largo, Fl to here partly because of the hurricanes. Although they can pass thru here I think a good indication of our risk is the price of property insurance. for a similar priced home in Largo I paid three times what I pay here.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:09 PM
Platinum member

I don't put much stock in these evacuation zones. One side of the street is A and the other is B. Sat out dora in 64, no problem as it passed right over us. Same with Floyd in the 90's.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Cross fingers, Erika is going to South Carolina.[/U]If you are prepared, there is no reason to be afraid or too concerned. For people with pets, find out which hotels accept pets. Check Orlando and tampa since you won't know which Way to go until the day or so before. Houses are houses. FamilY and pets are what is important. If you have a neighbor with mobility issues, Introduce your self and see if help is needed. Hurricanes do not sneak up on you. The weather people will give you lots Of notice.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:36 PM
Gold member

I don't panic till they reach cat 4 and up.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj1210 View Post
I am a NY'er & hurricanes hit there more severely than they do in Central Florida & more often. Have you forgotten the devastation of Hurricane Sandy which wasn't even categorized as a Hurricane in NY. I would rather take my chances with this climate than any of the winters or Hurricanes NY has. The Villages is not for everyone. Have a good trip back.
Thank you. I think the city girl had much more to do with her unhappiness than hurricanes. The picture she used says a lot.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:15 PM
Callaway Guy

After going through several Midwestern tornado's, I am wary of any destructive weather. However, from talking to some neighbors, there's no need to worry much about hurricanes in central Florida, just possible spin-off tornado's. I've been reading up a lot on the Florida aquifers and the water "experts" say we need hurricanes to replenish the diminishing water supply in the aquifers. It's like a double-edge sword.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

I doubt that person was ever here in the first place. As for Erika, I'm not alarmed considering her track and south to north path. But I realize that regardless of path and projections, we must keep tabs on any named storm. And I look for the European models projection, that one has proven time and again to be reliable. As reliable as any can possibly be.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
Cross fingers, Erika is going to South Carolina.[/U]If you are prepared, there is no reason to be afraid or too concerned. For people with pets, find out which hotels accept pets. Check Orlando and tampa since you won't know which Way to go until the day or so before. Houses are houses. FamilY and pets are what is important. If you have a neighbor with mobility issues, Introduce your self and see if help is needed. Hurricanes do not sneak up on you. The weather people will give you lots Of notice.
Am I missing something here? Why would you leave TV to go to Orlando or Tampa? A hurricane off the Atlantic should have about the same impact in all three places, and would probably be downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it reaches TV anyway
Old 08-27-2015, 07:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Am I missing something here? Why would you leave TV to go to Orlando or Tampa? A hurricane off the Atlantic should have about the same impact in all three places, and would probably be downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it reaches TV anyway
I have lived in central Florida for over 50 years and lived through lots of hits and close calls. Depending on where the hurricane enters the state, the damage and power outages differ. The year Florida took four direct hits, the Orlando area was out of power for weeks. Tampa area was not. Power outages wreck havoc on ones lives in Florida since hurricane season is during the hot months. I stand by my statement. Be prepared. Go Or stay behind. Your choice. People with pets need to know where they are welcome. Most shelters will not allow animals.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
I have lived in central Florida for over 50 years and lived through lots of hits and close calls. Depending on where the hurricane enters the state, the damage and power outages differ. The year Florida took four direct hits, the Orlando area was out of power for weeks. Tampa area was not. Power outages wreck havoc on ones lives in Florida since hurricane season is during the hot months. I stand by my statement. Be prepared. Go Or stay behind. Your choice. People with pets need to know where they are welcome. Most shelters will not allow animals.
Thank you.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:21 PM
Platinum member
Smile THIS is where people come to be safe.

The Villages is so far inland that hurricanes tend to be reduced to tropical storm strength by the time they travel that far across land.

Hurricane preparation means having adequate food and water on hand, along with all needed medications, and a means of preparing the food if your stove becomes unavailable. Also have FLASHLIGHTS, candles, etc. for illumination if electricity is lost.

In Tampa, where I have an electric stove, not gas as in TV, I have a propane gas BBQ and a Coleman Camp stove for cooking, a Coleman Lamp (and flashlights, candles and oil lamps) for light, and in the past when I have lost electricity I sat out on the porch to keep cool when air conditioning was not available.

BRING IN TRASH CANS, LAWN ORNAMENTS and other items which might be blown about and present a hazard to people and property.

Keep this in mind.........the place where you live is where people in danger from Hurricanes (coastal areas) come to be safe.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:42 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

When we first moved to the Tampa area in 2004, yes ... bad timing with the hurricanes which came up thru the Gulf, a good friend of mine from South Florida, who lived thru Andrew, told me to keep a good amount of $1 bills on hand. If electricity would go out, you have small bills to buy things you may need. Stores may not be able to make a lot of change in the event of a bad storm, if banks would be forced to close. Thought I would pass this on to all of you as it makes great sense.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default The Villages is a safe place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
The Villages is so far inland that hurricanes tend to be reduced to tropical storm strength by the time they travel that far across land.

Hurricane preparation means having adequate food and water on hand, along with all needed medications, and a means of preparing the food if your stove becomes unavailable. Also have FLASHLIGHTS, candles, etc. for illumination if electricity is lost.

In Tampa, where I have an electric stove, not gas as in TV, I have a propane gas BBQ and a Coleman Camp stove for cooking, a Coleman Lamp (and flashlights, candles and oil lamps) for light, and in the past when I have lost electricity I sat out on the porch to keep cool when air conditioning was not available.

BRING IN TRASH CANS, LAWN ORNAMENTS and other items which might be blown about and present a hazard to people and property.

Keep this in mind.........the place where you live is where people in danger from Hurricanes (coastal areas) come to be safe.
I agree The Villages is where "they" come for safety from hurricanes. Nothing to worry about---get your neighbors together and party!
Old 08-27-2015, 09:42 PM
Platinum member

We went through Andrew, 1 mile from the coast south of Miami. I can tell you, do not let the hypesters here in Central Florida rattle you. Cat 1 or 2 or 3 this far inland is a rain event with a breeze. Stock up on water, flashlights, beer, wine, and liquor and have an extra gas tank available for the grill. You will be fine!!

Tags
florida, back, hurricanes, passed, storms, continues, luck, hope, villages, target, worried, live, erica, palm, harbor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.