Foul mouthed cyclist

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2017, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klough53 View Post
No excuse for the language but it cuts both ways. Nearly killed by a motorist trying to pass me in the middle of making a right turn while riding a recumbant trike at Enrique and Chapparal.
You mean one of those bike where your a** is close to dragging the ground? It's hard for a lot of these elderly drivers here to see something at eye level; do you seriously think they're going to see you and your bike close to the ground? Forget the visibility flags you may have, their eyes may only think they're seeing survey flags.

Sorry if you don't like what I say; I've worked many, many accidents due to inattentiveness and also people not using common sense.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
I'm an avid cyclist is the Villages and agree with you 100%. If your description is accurate my fellow bicycle rider owes your husband an apology for pulling out in front of him and giving you the finger. There are very few of us who ride bikes support that kind of dangerous behavior and attitude. Thank you for posting.
It was nice to read your response, since it is nice to know there are a few thoughtful cyclists around.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
The sad reality is that you can say "hooray for me- look at these car drivers, delivery truck drivers, golf cart drivers, etc". Bad driving isn't only isolated to just people trying to stay fit.
When I see cyclists blowing stop signs, riding recumbents on Buena Vista,
or just riding in heavy vehicular traffic,
it comes to mind that they have greatly
increased their chances of becoming a very fit fatality!
Old 02-25-2017, 07:45 PM
Veteran member

Is the gist of this thread that TV has rude, and incompetent drivers like every other town on the planet?

Head on a swivel people.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Is the gist of this thread that TV has rude, and incompetent drivers like every other town on the planet?

Head on a swivel people.
No, please read the original post, it just got off track like most threads do on TOV.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
Very engrossing topic. I see a lot of mentions of fatalities here. It would be interesting to see a comparison of bicyclist fatalities and compare that to golf cart and automobile fatalities around The Villages. It appears that golf cart and car drivers are better protected and more careful than bicyclists so their fatalities should be lower. Fitness is way overrated.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
...Fitness is way overrated.
No, it's not.

Sensible bicyclists are no more at risk than car or cart drivers/passengers.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:47 AM
Sage

I really shouldn't have to state this but what the heck. Rolling through stop signs appears to be the favorite sport of cars and golf carts in The Villages. I see it happen very frequently. Cyclists also roll through stop signs but I can assure you that this happens when it is clear to do so. I am sure some non-rider will now come on to post about how they saw a cyclist roll through a stop sign and it wasn't clear to do so - fine, whatever. The vast majority of cyclists are keenly aware of what is going on around them and their focus is on avoiding collisions. I would assume the vast majority of those who criticize cyclists don't ride so they really have no idea what they are talking about. If you ride regularly in The Villages you will encounter remarkably rude behavior by car drivers. Please notice that you don't see cyclists posting every occurrence on Talks of the Villages. When you see cyclists, give them a wide berth - they are interested in staying as far away from cars and golf carts as possible. Regarding the issuance of unsolicited advice about the risks of riding, please note that cyclists don't come on this forum to advise you about the risks of whatever it is you choose to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post

Last edited by biker1; 02-26-2017 at 05:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I really shouldn't have to state this but what the heck. Rolling through stop signs appears to be the favorite sport of cars and golf carts in The Villages. I see it happen very frequently. Cyclists also roll through stop signs but I can assure you that this happens when it is clear to do so. I am sure some non-rider will now come on to post about how they saw a cyclist roll through a stop sign and it wasn't clear to do so - fine, whatever. The vast majority of cyclists are keenly aware of what is going on around them and their focus is on avoiding collisions. I would assume the vast majority of those who criticize cyclists don't ride so they really have no idea what they are talking about. If you ride regularly in The Villages you will encounter remarkably rude behavior by car drivers. Please notice that you don't see cyclists posting every occurrence on Talks of the Villages. When you see cyclists, give them a wide berth - they are interested in staying as far away from cars and golf carts as possible. Regarding the issuance of unsolicited advice about the risks of riding, please note that cyclists don't come on this forum to advise you about the risks of whatever it is you choose to do.
LOL

The underlined/highlighted above, is the perfect example... of the hypocritical arrogance of a lot of cyclists.

Cart drivers who run stop signs, are probably using the exact same excuse (make no mistake, it's simply an excuse)...for breaking the law.

As far as no bikers coming on here and complaining, I have seen numerous comments from cyclists in the +-10 months I've been here...that belies that statement.

I believe in sharing the road with cyclists and try to give them plenty of room...but I also believe that knife cuts both ways.

After all, the likelihood that the cyclist will come out on the short end of the stick versus a car/cart, should they be involved in an incident (regardless of who is 'at fault')...are pretty darned high.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
Very engrossing topic. I see a lot of mentions of fatalities here. It would be interesting to see a comparison of bicyclist fatalities and compare that to golf cart and automobile fatalities around The Villages. It appears that golf cart and car drivers are better protected and more careful than bicyclists so their fatalities should be lower. Fitness is way overrated.
As of June 2015, there have been 13 golf cart fatalities in the past seven years in The Villages. I could be wrong, but I can't recall a bicyclist fatality.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:32 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
No, it's not.

Sensible bicyclists are no more at risk than car or cart drivers/passengers.
You need to provide this information to the CDC as they have it all wrong,

"While only 1% of all trips taken in the U.S. are by bicycle, bicyclists face a higher risk of crash-related injury and deaths than occupants of motor vehicles do."
Old 02-26-2017, 10:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
You need to provide this information to the CDC as they have it all wrong,

"While only 1% of all trips taken in the U.S. are by bicycle, bicyclists face a higher risk of crash-related injury and deaths than occupants of motor vehicles do."
No they don't have it all wrong...their dataset is ALL bicyclists. My claim that you quoted was limited to "sensible bicyclists"...dramatically smaller dataset...heheh.

Besides...this is just my opinion...bicycling in TV, if you use the MMP's in a sensible (there's that word again) and responsible manner, is much safer than what might be inferred from a statistic based upon the all-bicycle-trips-taken-in-the-US scenario referenced above. MUCH safer.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:03 PM

The difference in fatalities is likely due to safety equipment more than any behavioral issues. Sgt. Robert Siemer of the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office claimed that every one of those fatalities involved a person being ejected from the golf cart, with their heads hitting either the pavement or a tree.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:34 AM
Veteran member
Default Biker versus biker

I ride over 5,000 miles per year. I hate bikers who do stuff like that because it gives some people a bad attitude towards the rest of us.

It's not just bikers who are the problem, it's anyone who is inconsiderate of others using the roads and paths. That can be bikers, cart drivers, car drivers, and even pedestrians.

Two days ago, I came far too close to hitting a golf cart which did not have it's lights on well before sun-up. I have had a couple of cart drivers yell at me (when on my bike) that I should not be on the multi-modal path. I have come up behind pedestrians walking four abreast on multi-modal paths. I have encountered cars that drifted a good two-feet into the cart path.

Worst case ever - I was riding south on the cart path adjacent to Morse. I ride quite far to the right to avoid being hit by a wandering car. With very heavy car traffic, a golf cart passed between me and a solid line of cars. He cleared me by no more than one foot.

Try to be nice, everyone.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
I ride over 5,000 miles per year. I hate bikers who do stuff like that because it gives some people a bad attitude towards the rest of us.

It's not just bikers who are the problem, it's anyone who is inconsiderate of others using the roads and paths. That can be bikers, cart drivers, car drivers, and even pedestrians.

Two days ago, I came far too close to hitting a golf cart which did not have it's lights on well before sun-up. I have had a couple of cart drivers yell at me (when on my bike) that I should not be on the multi-modal path. I have come up behind pedestrians walking four abreast on multi-modal paths. I have encountered cars that drifted a good two-feet into the cart path.

Worst case ever - I was riding south on the cart path adjacent to Morse. I ride quite far to the right to avoid being hit by a wandering car. With very heavy car traffic, a golf cart passed between me and a solid line of cars. He cleared me by no more than one foot.

Try to be nice, everyone.
Good post.

If all bike riders (and cart drivers/pedestrians) would simply be more courteous, obey traffic signals and slow down when passing each other...there would be a lot less hard feelings and close calls.
Closed Thread

Tags
cyclist, cart, husbands, traffic, car

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.