Garage Sale Parking?

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2017, 02:37 PM
Question Garage Sale Parking?

My wife and I went to a garage sale today (in Lynnhaven) - one house sale, about 3 cars and 4 golf carts parked on the street (all on the same side). A gentleman drove up in a golf cart and parked on the other side of the street. As soon as the wife got out to look at stuff (I stayed in the cart), a sheriff's deputy came up and, rather loudly, announced that "Hey, all you people can't park on the street - that's illegal. Move your vehicles, please." One fellow started to argue about "Well, where are we supposed to park?", and the deputy did not reply, just started walking around and looking at the vehicles. We left.
But, where ARE you supposed to park (temporarily) for a yard sale? I thought maybe the one guy on the other side of the street needed to move, but the deputy said ALL you people..." - so where DO you park?
Old 04-28-2017, 03:56 PM

Absolutely legal to park on the street. What the host of the sale should have done is to post signs on the other side of the street indicating no parking. That would allow vehicles to pass. The guy was busting your chops.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

The deputy should check with the sheriff. I been in the Villages 15 years and people have been parking for garages for ever.
The deputy was probable a bully in the 5th grade then in high school, now he has the authority to be an official power driven bully! What a waste of his time.....
Old 04-28-2017, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Common sense should be the rule...Oups sorry all about me is the rule
Old 04-29-2017, 02:29 AM

Common sense would dictate that all cars park on one side of the street during a sale. Most people do, but I've seen people park on the opposite side, blocking larger cars from passing. Some people are oblivious. The policeman may have received a complaint from a neighbor?
Old 04-29-2017, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieInVa View Post
Common sense would dictate that all cars park on one side of the street during a sale. Most people do, but I've seen people park on the opposite side, blocking larger cars from passing. Some people are oblivious. The policeman may have received a complaint from a neighbor?
To tell everyone they had to move??
Old 04-29-2017, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

What we don't know from the OP is whether this was just a typical residential street or a street with cart lanes on both sides that was being blocked.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:46 AM
Veteran member

Maybe he said "y'all" and it was heard as "all".
Old 04-29-2017, 10:05 AM
Gold member

It is legal to park on the street, this guy was wrong. If they want to start enforcing something like that they will be kept very busy at most of the open houses.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:47 PM
Default Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
What we don't know from the OP is whether this was just a typical residential street or a street with cart lanes on both sides that was being blocked.
It was a typical residential street, right off a "Main Street" (Belvedere) - just a side street like most of them here. Even though one golf cart parked on the "other side", there was plenty of room to pass by, in fact, several cars passed by while we were sitting there!
Old 04-30-2017, 08:41 PM

I am very much a supporter of law-enforcement however this is another classic example of a cop trying to bully people, instead of trying make up some rule to deal with his inconvenience he should've been out patrolling on those roads with all the bikesfest in the area, i'm not profiling cyclists as breaking the law however I can guarantee you 2 villagers did not get in an argument and shoot each other like the motorcycle folks did, instead maybe you might want to go out to patrol the roads instead of hassling senior citizens at a garage sale! or who knows maybe there were free donuts at the garage sale!,, I would've ask him to get his supervisor out here immediately and let's resolve this right now so we can have a little education either for the cop or us who live here!
Closed Thread

Tags
sale, street, park, deputy, side

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.