Golf cart crash tests

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
What's next? Crash tests for bicycles going 31 mph and hitting a steel wall? How about a motorcycle getting hit from the side by a car going 40 mph?

Is it really necessary to do a crash test to know that if you run your golf cart into a steel wall at 31 mph or get hit in the side by a car the results will not be good. People take risks all the time. We ride bicycles, motorcycles and walk on the side of the road. Stuff happens. You either live your life and accept the risks or you sit in your house and cower. If you choose the latter, you should be aware that an airplane could crash into your house or a trailer truck could some crashing through into your bedroom.

It's up to each of us to decide what risks we are willing to take. Every day, every situation has some risk to it.
Well said.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:49 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
I hate to say it BUT, the solution is to force people to put registration numbers on the carts. To report that I was passed by a golf red cart going at least 30 is unlikely to have any police action. I was passed by a golf cart number............... doing 30, Here's my cell phone picture
WOULD SURELY REDUCE THE PROBLEM.
Is that what you do, when you see speeders in cars?
Our police have enough to do, besides responding to speeding golf cart calls.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
This morning after going thru the Belvedere Gate of a BuenaVista, there was a "Street Rod" cart riding dead center the car lane. When I came up on his tail, he finally pulled into the golf cart lane-paced him with my cruise control @ 28 mph

World to the wise if you're going to break the rules change your license plate- he has a cute little plate with his first name -right under "Street Rod"

Or better yet...

License Plate Flipper - Like James Bond - YouTube
Old 06-26-2016, 11:00 AM
Sage

The fine for speeding in a golf cart can reach close to 1K-if the court is creative--speeding, uninsured vehicle, unregistered vehicle, improper equip and certification that the speed is now at its legal limit And most important if the cart has been modified try to collect on insurance
Old 06-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

A little off subject but we have seen several 4 seat forward carts that sort of resemble The Munster Coach. One Black & One Silver. Where were they purchase if you know? We had a Lifestyle Cart last week. Supposed to be 16 mph but ours did 20 mph....be reasonable...that's fast enough. We have roundabout's to deal with in NJ and the rules are simple and clear especially after watching the video that is available online. The thing that is unspoken is your instincts must be in the on position because so many who live here are new and even though you may technically have the rite of way if the other guy is confused problems will occur. We are both safe & courteous drivers and have had our moment's twice already because of exhaustion and once because I took my eye off the road for a split second. Lesson learned. So if you pass us in a Car or Cart no Jersey Salute from us...We'll just meet you at the traffic light.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
The fine for speeding in a golf cart can reach close to 1K-if the court is creative--speeding, uninsured vehicle, unregistered vehicle, improper equip and certification that the speed is now at its legal limit And most important if the cart has been modified try to collect on insurance
Chatbrat, you have shared that you and your wife have fancy cars, I can't remember which kind, maybe Lamborghini's??? I know you mentioned them more than once. I think you two should invest in a golf cart. It is so much fun, driving around with beautiful scenery in front of you and to the right and left of you and a little breeze moving the muggy air and having a nice college emblem on the front of your cart and other folks shouting "Go Bucks" to you as you encounter them. You are missing out on a lot of fun.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Up until recently, I have resisted the idea of installing seat belts because I didn't feel the relatively low speeds warranted them.

I have since changed my mind and will be getting them soon.

Even though the driver has the steering wheel to hold on to, my concern is predicated on a couple of times when I've had to make a quick maneuver to avoid an idiot in front of me.

Although I didn't have a passenger either time, I could see where the passenger could have easily be thrown out in both situations. While just being thrown out at 20 mph may not cause a lot of physical damage (who hasn't wiped out on their bicycle at similar speeds when young?), we don't wear helmets on golf cars and hitting ones head on pavement is where the real danger lies.

My grandchildren are very young and won't be driving one for many years, but seat belts will give me a little more comfort when they finally visit and go for a ride. I will also make sure their parent is buckled with them and sitting on the outside of the seat, for additional safety.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:06 PM
Sage

Again, we don't play golf, our cars primary purpose is to protect us. Safety first-there are no doo-vers from a bad accident-my wife's nephew ended his future due to an auto accident-he suffered TBI and has the memory of a person with Alzheimers.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Again, we don't play golf, our cars primary purpose is to protect us. Safety first-there are no doo-vers from a bad accident-my wife's nephew ended his future due to an auto accident-he suffered TBI and has the memory of a person with Alzheimers.
Excellent point and my condolences to your wife's nephew.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:20 PM
Sage

We were on the Erie Canal on our boat headed to Canada, when we were notified that he had put his car into a wall on a NYC highway--the only thing that saved his life, was that he was a stone's throw from Columbia Preysbeterian Hospital--he was supposed to enter college in the fall-that never would happen. It was a horrifying 3 weeks in the hospital-not knowing if he would make it.

This is one reason I'm harsh on people who think being cool is more important than being safe.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
We were on the Erie Canal on our boat headed to Canada, when we were notified that he had put his car into a wall on a NYC highway--the only thing that saved his life, was that he was a stone's throw from Columbia Preysbeterian Hospital--he was supposed to enter college in the fall-that never would happen. It was a horrifying 3 weeks in the hospital-not knowing if he would make it.
A tragedy indeed.

Quote:
This is one reason I'm harsh on people who think being cool is more important than being safe.
Absolutely!!
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, time, kids, drive, vehicles

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.