Golf Cart Traffic Tickets

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Veteran member
Default Golf Cart Traffic Tickets

I was wondering how many of us have received traffic tickets while driving a golf cart? Speeding? Failure to yield? Underage driving? Anything else?
Please let us know what happened and where.
Thanks.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Gold member
Talking Golf cart speeding tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
I was wondering how many of us have received traffic tickets while driving a golf cart? Speeding? Failure to yield? Underage driving? Anything else?
Please let us know what happened and where.
Thanks.
I can give you some information. The speeding tickets for golf carts are in the $380.00 range. The speeding portion is the smaller of the violation, what the law now determines is that since the cart was exceeding 19.9mph, it is no longer a golf cart. It is now an electric vehicle needing a registration, seat belts, proper brakes, wipers, license plates, insurance, proper lighting and possibly a few other requirements. Each of these violations carry a set fine and really add up.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Default Police?

Newbie here....

Who gives the ticket, and who gets the money?

Is there a police entity, or just private security?
Chandler, AZ
Battle Creek, MI
Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Bosoxfan

The Sherriff usually gives the tickets . I'm assuming the monies go to the county in which the violation occurred.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:45 AM

I would like to hear from someone you actually got a ticket.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
I would like to hear from someone you actually got a ticket.
I was thinking the same thing. If you have a cart that is only capable of 19.9 mph and you get going on a little down hill you can get up to 23-24 mph. Can they clock you with a radar gun and fine you $380.00 for that?

I'd like to know how they would handle it when 14 year old (perfectly legal) kid is driving 24 mph down Rio Grande. They pull him over and ask for a license. He doesn't have one. They ask for ID. He doesn't have one. He refuses to answer any questions. What do they do? Can they arrest the kid and hold him on exceeding the speed limit by 4 mph?

How can they expect a kid who has not studied for and taken a license test to know the rules of the road? From what I understand the rule is that anyone over the ager of 14 is allowed to operate a golf cart anywhere that golf carts are allowed in the Villages. How can the rules of the road possibly be enforced?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:21 AM

Ignorance of the laws is not an excuse. Carts have brakes, when going down hill you could always use them
Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Gold member

lots of talk.......no tickets so far.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
lots of talk.......no tickets so far.
Maybe the perpetrators are embarrassed?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I was thinking the same thing. If you have a cart that is only capable of 19.9 mph and you get going on a little down hill you can get up to 23-24 mph. Can they clock you with a radar gun and fine you $380.00 for that?

I'd like to know how they would handle it when 14 year old (perfectly legal) kid is driving 24 mph down Rio Grande. They pull him over and ask for a license. He doesn't have one. They ask for ID. He doesn't have one. He refuses to answer any questions. What do they do? Can they arrest the kid and hold him on exceeding the speed limit by 4 mph?

How can they expect a kid who has not studied for and taken a license test to know the rules of the road? From what I understand the rule is that anyone over the ager of 14 is allowed to operate a golf cart anywhere that golf carts are allowed in the Villages. How can the rules of the road possibly be enforced?
I may be wrong but I don't going down a hill counts as speeding. I believe that your cart would need to be modified to exceed the 19.9mph max to get a ticket. Going down a hill is just gravity at work.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Gold member
Talking speeding golf carts

Quote:

Law enforcement expects only one thing, that we all obey the laws that have been set forth. There are no exceptions for kids ... Remember, when a kid was driving a golf cart 24 mph, that golf cart is no longer a golf cart but an electric vehicle and now must obey the electric car rules.. Also about going down hill and exceeding the speed limit, that one of the things brakes are for.

If you are in a car, 55 mph limit, you now coast down a hill and reach a speed of 100mph, an enforcement officer stops you. Do you really believe that he would say, In your case 100mph is OK because you were going downhill.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Sage

As far as the 14 year old, prior discussion will show that the Sheriff will issue them a temp/voided license and assess points that will carry over to when they do obtain a legal license.

There haven't been many recent reports of golf cart speeding tickets but a couple of years ago there was an intense enforcement period. I know of someone who got a ticket for 24-25 on Oak Forest Dr and had to pay the $300+ ticket. There was a sheriff's log distributed by email that showed a number of golf cart speeding tickets. So, yes, it does happen and is not an urban legend.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:

There should be a drivers test for anyone driving a cart.
South Amboy, NJ
St. Louis, MO
St. Charles, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

"What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about"?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
...If you are in a car, 55 mph limit, you now coast down a hill and reach a speed of 100mph, an enforcement officer stops you. Do you really believe that he would say, In your case 100mph is OK because you were going downhill.
However, a car has a speedometer. a non street legal golf cart is not equipped with a speedometer. Golf cart operators for the most part have to go the after market route to get a speedometer. If someone with a golf cart that hasn't been tinkered with to exceed 19.9 and they have no speedometer, I would think any form of speeding ticket could be thrown out. Especially if the cart is gasoline, since only electric carts are allowed to be street legal, that would eliminate the unregistered vehicle statue.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Sage

Do not forget the golf carts ticketed for having open containers of alcohol in them. If you are at Lake Sumter Landing or Spanish Springs sitting in your cart listening to the music, having a drink from the drink shacks, you can be ticketed even though the cart is parked. Those are public roadways and it has happened plenty of times.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.