Goodbye DirecTv

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2017, 10:45 AM
Default Goodbye DirecTv

After being customers of DirecTV for 15 years, it is time to kick them to the curb. We have had issues in the past (weather issues, lying about credits promised, etc.). The only reason we stayed with them was because we have 4 years of programs on our DVR which we cannot replace. Some are shows that aren't available on demand or through Amazon or Netflix. One is an interview my DIL did recently on CNN. So, this morning our main device died. Since we are losing the saved programs, there isn't any reason to stay with them. After all was done, they offered to send me a new unit which won't be here until Tuesday. Not even as fast as Amazon! To top it off, they wanted to charge me $19.99 plus tax for shipping. Wouldn't send out a tech to make the switch. Did cancel that charge but we are still leaving them

I know there are huge issues with Comcast customer service. However, my daughter has them and their equipment is amazing compared with what we have. We have Spectrum for phone and internet. We live south of 466A so I am going to spend time on the phone looking for good prices.

Guess we are the proud owners of the dish on our roof. Is that a permanent part of the décor on our house? If we remove it, I assume there would be holes in our roof.

Would appreciate current pros and cons on the various choices we have. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Platinum member

I just went back to Comcast Xfinity, because of a guaranteed fixed price for two years, as long as I don't change the contract. I spent hours on line before deciding. I think that online offers are different than those in their office.

I have their double play, just internet and tv, plus received a $150 gift card. Supposedly high speed internet and 140 channels.

I am happy, especially with the fixed cost for 24 months, then I owe them nothing.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:09 PM
Veteran member

Direct TV went down the tube when ATT bought them. We opted for Xfinity. 5 times the internet speed, telephone where the caller id pops up on the TV if it's on, love the voice control remote. All at a $70 per month savings guaranteed for two years.We also recoeved a $150 Visa gift card.
Be prepared Direct TV will call you every day sometimes twice a day trying to get you back. Finally had to tell the to put me on the do not call list. I imagine in twenty months I may have to check around for another supplier.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:25 PM
Platinum member

I have Comcast and to be honest, it does a good job most of the time. they recently sent new voice activated remote. Customer service has improved also. Isn't spectrum formerly Brighthouse? I used to have Brighthouse at my previous home and I liked them a lot. Would probably use them if I had a choice.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
Isn't spectrum formerly Brighthouse? I used to have Brighthouse at my previous home and I liked them a lot. Would probably use them if I had a choice.
Yes, Spectrum is Brighthouse. The new company was formed by a merger between Charter and Brighthouse. Our son has them for internet and TV, rarely has any problems and gets a much sharper picture than we do. Once our contract with Centurylink is up, I may look into switching to them.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We still stand by Direct TV. They aren't responsible for weather issues. That's the way it goes.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
Yes, Spectrum is Brighthouse. The new company was formed by a merger between Charter and Brighthouse. Our son has them for internet and TV, rarely has any problems and gets a much sharper picture than we do. Once our contract with Centurylink is up, I may look into switching to them.
I'm curious why Time Warner is now advertising they are Spectrum? Maybe Time Warner owns Charter and Brighthouse.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:49 PM
Bosoxfan

We've had Direct TV since 1999 and would never think of dropping them. They have the best HD picture by far! They're also the only choice for sports fans. I can't and wouldn't give up my NFL ticket...Sure Red Zone is an option but only watching a twenty yard game!!! Not me!! Also customer service has never been a problem with us!
Old 03-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

DirecTV gets an all around rating of A+++ in my book.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 03-17-2017, 06:59 PM
Gold member

We love our DIRECTV. Every year just before our contract is up I call and get a better price than what it would be if let the contract expire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I'm curious why Time Warner is now advertising they are Spectrum? Maybe Time Warner owns Charter and Brighthouse.
Charter Communications bought Brighthouse and just completed the deal with Time Warner. The Spectrum name was established after those buyouts.

This makes Charter either the biggest Cable or one of the biggest providers.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
We've had Direct TV since 1999 and would never think of dropping them. They have the best HD picture by far! They're also the only choice for sports fans. I can't and wouldn't give up my NFL ticket...Sure Red Zone is an option but only watching a twenty yard game!!! Not me!! Also customer service has never been a problem with us!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Avoiding the calls from DirecTV is kinda like finding the cure for AIDS, but it can be done. In the annual privacy disclosure notice there is an address to send a letter to opt out of all e-mails, texts, and calls. It does work, but each time you contact them they will ask for your permission to contact you with special deals. It is like getting an STD, DirecTV marketing never gives up. For this reason alone I am dropping them, I don't deal with firms that must resort to this level of marketing to retain customers.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I do like the service of Directv. Since we have landed in Florida they can't seem to get a hold of the price correctly each month, it is on a swivel. They did deceive me with the NFL package. It started out at $350 for the season, I said no. Then I threatened to cancel and the price came down to $100 for the season, I accepted. When then screwed up the next bill I called to cancel our service and the NFL package became free. I never thought about it but the AT&T aspect sounds like it is the answer...how did they go from flawless to being so inconsistent? Comcast is not an option for me. I'm tempted to try Centurylink TV....I wish the OP luck but I think we are going to go thru these kind of issues no matter what company we choose.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajulian View Post
Charter Communications bought Brighthouse and just completed the deal with Time Warner. The Spectrum name was established after those buyouts.

This makes Charter either the biggest Cable or one of the biggest providers.
Thank you! ☺
Closed Thread

Tags
issues, amazon, programs, charge, phone

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.