Help needed with noisy dogs

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2014, 12:21 AM
Default Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicknRo View Post
My husband and I purchased a brand new CYV at the end of last year and our goal is to move in end of 2016. The home has been put in the long term rental pool. The house has been shown many times and shows beautifully BUT we have lost out on at least 2 renters because our next door neighbor has at LEAST 2 dogs that bark incessantly. The agent believes they are left out all day. This is a showstopper for our rental opportunity and we have already missed out on Jan/Feb and March rentals!!
We have contracted Code Enforcement and Animal Control - and found out that there have been numerous complaints from other neighbors about these dogs and they will talk to them - but that's it.....
We are at our wits end -- anyone have any suggestions? We are in Massachusetts - so we are doing all of this long distance.....
Help!!!
Do you know if the problem CYV is owner occupied or rental? If it is a rental I am sure the owner would like to know
Old 03-07-2014, 01:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

To NicknRo:

What a terrible situation you are in. We have dogs and I am very sensitive to barking dogs. Ours are never out without one of us and when they bark at something on the lanai, we take them in.

Since you will be here, I agree with others that you should begin with honey and try Mr. Nice Guy first. Explain that you have lost money because their dogs have chased potential renters off and see what they say. If they are receptive to you, they will do something about the problem. If not, you have to give them a sample of tough love and bother them by knocking on their door every time their dogs start up.

Get together with other neighbors who feel the same way you do and brainstorm.

Please let us all know how things go and good luck!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

we did not buy a cyv for this reason, and i really wanted one..we rented for a week and the noise of a few owners dogs were just too much..the second our dog barked i was out the door to fix it...so many great responsible owners and it just takes one to make your day crazy..Talk to them when you come down or have your rental agent speak to them...thats what you are paying them for
Old 03-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Default Noisy dogs hurting rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicknRo View Post
My husband and I purchased a brand new CYV at the end of last year and our goal is to move in end of 2016. The home has been put in the long term rental pool. The house has been shown many times and shows beautifully BUT we have lost out on at least 2 renters because our next door neighbor has at LEAST 2 dogs that bark incessantly. The agent believes they are left out all day. This is a showstopper for our rental opportunity and we have already missed out on Jan/Feb and March rentals!!
We have contracted Code Enforcement and Animal Control - and found out that there have been numerous complaints from other neighbors about these dogs and they will talk to them - but that's it.....
We are at our wits end -- anyone have any suggestions? We are in Massachusetts - so we are doing all of this long distance.....
Help!!!
Make your CYV pet friendly, and I will take Jan-March 2015. If the neighbors let their dogs bark continuously, then, I will let mine bark at them continuously. Maybe, they will get the message. I take my Airedale and English Springer Spaniel to the Villages every winter. I don't leave them out back alone. I even cage them inside the CYV for "peace of mine" when we are away. I also bag their waste. I have never not received my entire deposit back from my Villages landlords! Villager references available!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Big View Post
Make your CYV pet friendly, and I will take Jan-March 2015. If the neighbors let their dogs bark continuously, then, I will let mine bark at them continuously. Maybe, they will get the message. I take my Airedale and English Springer Spaniel to the Villages every winter. I don't leave them out back alone. I even cage them inside the CYV for "peace of mine" when we are away. I also bag their waste. I have never not received my entire deposit back from my Villages landlords! Villager references available!
Now this is the perfect solution. Check it out, pet friendly rentals usually charge more.

Last edited by duffysmom; 03-07-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Now this is the perfect solution. Check it out, pet friendly rentals usually charg more.
throw a jar of peanut butter over the fence....ever see a dog try to bark while eating peanut butter??
Old 03-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Big View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Now this is the perfect solution. Check it out, pet friendly rentals usually charg more.
Oy vey! Then the rest of the neighbors will have MORE barking dogs to deal with!!!!!

Old 03-07-2014, 12:37 PM

It's not only in CYV. We walk our dog regularly in our neighborhood, one house leaves their front bedroom window open and their very large dog barks at anyone that walks by, usually catches my wife off guard and makes her jump thinking that a dog is coming at her. I think half the time, they are not even home, as it continues to bark long after we pass. Others leave their dogs on their lanai's unattended, or have the lanai doors open and the dogs come running out barking insanely anytime they see another dog being walked. I'm sure they are good at warding off potential theives, but I would be po'd for sure if they were my neighbors, and had to listen to that all the time. Poor dog ownership gives all of us dog lovers a bad name.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Gold member

I am a squeaky wheel kind of guy. I would take these two pieces of information from Sumter County's website and work my way up the chain of command until I got a result.

•County Code 4-7 - To allow your dog to bark excessively and continuously is in violation of ordinance

Responsibilities
Animal Services is responsible for enforcement of all County Codes related to the ownership and care of domestic animals. The department operates seven days a week with six full-time officers. Please remember that Animal Services responds to emergencies first.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Continual barking is a violation and has been addressed more than once on this forum. I strongly recommend you contact the district office and explain this situation is interfering with your financial transactions. Perhaps Village Watch can pay them a visit. I would tolerate that sort of thing for more than 10 minutes before I would call in the authorities
Old 03-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Continual barking is a violation and has been addressed more than once on this forum. I strongly recommend you contact the district office and explain this situation is interfering with your financial transactions. Perhaps Village Watch can pay them a visit. I would tolerate that sort of thing for more than 10 minutes before I would call in the authorities
You would think these type things would be handled promptly but in reality they will make a visit but beyond that nothing will be done. Been there, done that, with a guy playing a band in his garage rattling windows.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Get a dog whistle start blowing it in middle of the night
Old 03-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Get a dog whistle start blowing it in middle of the night
Why??? To wake up all the dogs in the neighborhood? ......then they are all barking?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:39 AM

Is your home pet friendly??? Friends are looking to rent a 2 bedroom pet friendly home Jan - March, 2015! People who have dogs may be more understanding about dog noise???
Old 04-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
I like that, every time the dog barks the owners get a shock in the neck.
From reports I've heard, that's about the only way those things would work!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.