Helter-skelter Where to take shelter

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2015, 07:52 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Usually cat 1 or 2, Oklahoma you can bet a system will have 20 or 30 cat 1 or 2 trailing cat 4 or 5. Many Oklahoma tornados leave only concrete slabs (even tore the water pipes off) as wide as mile or more and has even sucked asphalt off highways. In Oklahoma you best be under ground when warning coming your way. I'll take anywhere in Florida than Moore ok. I spent 20 years in Oklahoma and when under tornado threat of any kind you take it deadly serious.
I agree. As the tornadoes are usually less intense although more frequent in Florida, our chances of survival/less bodily damage are very good if we chose the correct location in the house to weather the event. I wish the Texas Tech study had information on where to stay in the house. Who would have thought that this EF3 tornado would strike in February!
Old 11-19-2015, 10:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

If no basement or shelter? interior closet.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:56 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

My current thought is to lie down in the walk-in closet closest to the center of the house. The experts suggest throwing a mattress over the body for protection. Mine is too heavy and I am not going to take the time for this. So, I have been looking for other lighter protection mats to use. I found this tornado shield sleeping bag that sounds like a good idea but has not made it into production.
Tornado Shield helps protect against storm-flung debris

Another is this storm guard blanket. As the cost is a little high I am still looking.

BODYGUARD™ by ProTecht
Closed Thread

Tags
house, design, shelter, safety, recommendations, tornadoes, location, suggested, talk, department, man, villages, public, contacted, villagers, made, can’t, liability, concerns, don’t, community, direct, plan, safest, study

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.