House built after July 2015 can't use attic TV antenna

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2015, 08:06 PM
Unhappy House built after July 2015 can't use attic TV antenna

My new house built in the Village of Osceola Hills since July 1 2015 is constructed with a radiant barrier lining the roof due to new energy efficiency codes. Last Saturday I had the audio visual (A/V) expert come to install an over the air (OTA) TV antenna in my attic. I wanted to "cut the cord" for cable TV. We discovered my attic is lined with a radiant barrier which renders signal reception impossible. I recall noticing, as I watched my house being built, that the underside of whatever the builder used for my roof was silver in color and had wording "radiant barrier" written on it. The A/V tech said my roof is now like having a tin foil hat covering my house. The only way I can get OTA reception is with an outside mounted antenna. My house has a perfect unobstructed southern exposure and is even slightly elevated. The A/V guy said if it were not for my new foil lined roof, my house would be the ideal candidate for OTA reception.

So, today I had to renew my subscription to Brighthouse Network. I enjoyed excellent service from Brighthouse for 3 years at my former house in The Village of Charlotte. But, alas, my hopes of living off the grid for television cannot be realized.

Last edited by mrdarcy; 09-30-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdarcy View Post
My new house built in the Village of Osceola Hills since July 1 2015 is constructed with a radiant barrier lining the roof due to new energy efficiency codes. Last Saturday I had the audio visual (A/V) expert come to install an over the air (OTA) TV antenna in my attic. I wanted to "the the cord" for cable TV. We discovered my attic is lined with a radiant barrier which renders signal reception impossible. I recall noticing, as I watched my house being built, that the underside of whatever the builder used for my roof was silver in color and had wording "radiant barrier" written on it. The A/V tech said my roof is now like having a tin foil hat covering my house. The only way I can get OTA reception is with an outside mounted antenna. My house has a perfect unobstructed southern exposure and is even slightly elevated. The A/V guy said if it were not for my new foil lined roof, my house would be the ideal candidate for OTA reception.

So, today I had to renew my subscription to Brighthouse Network. I enjoyed excellent service from Brighthouse for 3 years at my former house in The Village of Charlotte. But, alas, my hopes of living off the grid for television cannot be realized.
You gave the solution. Put up an outside antenna the TV cannot stop you and with the location you described it should work good.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:10 PM
Veteran member

Are you saying you had to commit to a certain time period? Thought they did not have contracts? Antenna sounds good.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:27 PM
Gold member
Default Not sure how you...

Are you saying you had to commit to a certain time period? Thought they did not have contracts? Antenna sounds good. [/QUOTE]

got from "So, today I had to renew my subscription to Brighthouse Network. I enjoyed excellent service from Brighthouse for 3 years at my former house in The Village of Charlotte. But, alas, my hopes of living off the grid for television cannot be realized." to thinking Brighthouse required a contract.

It clearly states he had their service for 3 years(that's the length of time he had their cable) and using the phrase "renew my subscription" does not denote having a contract...only that he uses their services for tv reception.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:44 PM
Veteran member

where do you buy an antenna, is this like the old metal ones 4-5 feet long with spikes??
Old 10-01-2015, 05:45 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
My new house built in the Village of Osceola Hills since July 1 2015 is constructed with a radiant barrier lining the roof due to new energy efficiency codes. Last Saturday I had the audio visual (A/V) expert come to install an over the air (OTA) TV antenna in my attic. I wanted to "cut the cord" for cable TV. We discovered my attic is lined with a radiant barrier which renders signal reception impossible. I recall noticing, as I watched my house being built, that the underside of whatever the builder used for my roof was silver in color and had wording "radiant barrier" written on it. The A/V tech said my roof is now like having a tin foil hat covering my house. The only way I can get OTA reception is with an outside mounted antenna. My house has a perfect unobstructed southern exposure and is even slightly elevated. The A/V guy said if it were not for my new foil lined roof, my house would be the ideal candidate for OTA reception.

Perhaps a solution to your problem in part is to invest in TIVO. They have just updated and offer much more including a one button push to sip over commercials.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

I wonder if this radiant barrier will decrease the life of the roof shingles. If the solar gain cannot penetrate through the roof sheathing it may concentrate the heat between the radiant barrier and the shingles. I see many dark colored shingles in TV, not the best for shingle longevity.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I hope you consider your neighbors before installing an outdoor antenna. A bunch of houses with outdoor antennas will be an eyesore.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Is this a National change, do you think? Or a county change? Isn't Osceola Hills in Lake County? Let us know if the savings in energy equal the money saved from installing an antenna.

Radiant Barriers | Department of Energy
Old 10-01-2015, 07:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Is this a National change, do you think? Or a county change? Isn't Osceola Hills in Lake County? Let us know if the savings in energy equal the money saved from installing an antenna.

Osceola Hills is Sumter, Pine Hills is Lake.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

You are allowed to install an outdoor antenna. The new digital HD long range antennas are relatively small, and if you have it mounted at roof level, it should not cause much concern to your neighbors.
If you do a search on outdoor antennas or FCC, you will find previous threads on this subject as well as the FCC rules allowing outside antennas for television reception, irrespective of HOA rules. Sop you can still cut the cord.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:19 AM
Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I hope you consider your neighbors before installing an outdoor antenna. A bunch of houses with outdoor antennas will be an eyesore.
Not so, some are the size of a small pie plate much smaller than direct tv dish, plus, it might be useable for a lightening rod to protect the house.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

I think so. University students have used them for years and then their parents and so on. They are as small as a pie plate so hardly noticeable as compared to Direct or Dish. Clarity is great. This and new systems coming soon from Google and Apple threaten cable companies existence in the near future.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Modern HD antennas have a very small footprint, and are less obtrusive than the many satellite dishes throughout TV. Go ahead and put one up in a discrete spot, mounted close to the roof.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You want to make sure the specs for the antenna are such that you have a reasonable chance of pulling in the stations from Orlando, that is about 60+ miles away. This distance typically requires a pretty good sized antenna for enough gain. Higher is better since the curvature of the earth is an issue. It is pretty hard to defeat physics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap2415 View Post
Not so, some are the size of a small pie plate much smaller than direct tv dish, plus, it might be useable for a lightening rod to protect the house.

Last edited by tuccillo; 10-01-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
house, roof, ota, reception, barrier, radiant, attic, antenna, a/v, built, lined, brighthouse, village, july, foil, elevated, slightly, hat, covering, guy, exposure, perfect, mounted, unobstructed, southern

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.