I should retire in Alaska

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2014, 09:24 AM
Talking I should retire in Alaska

I took a stupid online quiz via Facebook and it suggested I should retire in Alaska!!!
Very funny, I don't even like it to get down to 50
I'm staying put here, no matter what Facebook says
Debbie
Old 07-31-2014, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default You are kidding

Really!!!??!!??
Old 07-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

we were just there a couple of weeks ago.

While beautiful, rugged, breathtaking, interesting, et al.....the one question I had after visiting each and any location was ....why would anybody want to live there.

Great place to visit (only)......for us!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
we were just there a couple of weeks ago.

While beautiful, rugged, breathtaking, interesting, et al.....the one question I had after visiting each and any location was ....why would anybody want to live there.

Great place to visit (only)......for us!
Well the government pays you to live there, it is beautiful, rent on 400sf with indoor plumbing, but not heat is $1800 a month. The lights are to die for, the fog freeze can kill you. In the winter you must either plug in your car or leave it running while you shop or go to the movies. They say if you survive a year you stay forever
Old 07-31-2014, 08:46 PM

I'd be delighted to take your place!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:49 PM

I lived in Alaska for 32 years and I did get the Permanent Fund check from the state. The revenue for the fund is generated by oil royalties. The first check was issued 1982 and the amount of the checks were different each year. The lowest I received was $334 the highest was around $2000, my yearly average just over $1000 per year living there. I had a great time but I am enjoying the warm weather year around here in Florida!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 PM
Platinum member

I would like to go there July through September!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:10 AM

Having been born in the Territory of Alaska and spending the next 60 years there I can say that I now very much enjoy the Florida weather. To correct one of the posts, the government does not pay you to live there. A small percent of the oil revenues is set aside in what is called the Permanent Fund and each year, depending on the market, each resident receives a portion of that funds earnings. It was a wonderful place to grow up.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:21 PM

Some people will tolerate a lot of discomfort just to be in a place that feels free from rules, fences, restrictions etc. That is the main reason that I stayed in Alaska for 40 years. I experienced a lot of adventure and met a lot of characters. It is unique. Expecially in the bush.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseylou View Post
I took a stupid online quiz via Facebook and it suggested I should retire in Alaska!!!
Very funny, I don't even like it to get down to 50
I'm staying put here, no matter what Facebook says
Debbie
Not to worry, the information you supplied to mark zuckerberg will somehow add to his net worth.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskarose View Post
Some people will tolerate a lot of discomfort just to be in a place that feels free from rules, fences, restrictions etc. That is the main reason that I stayed in Alaska for 40 years. I experienced a lot of adventure and met a lot of characters. It is unique. Expecially in the bush.
Please tell us more.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:59 AM
Veteran member

Two years on the Bering Sea and a total of 7 years in Juneau. No place (including The Villages) that I would rather be... The downside includes very limited specialty health care. The need for that was a deal breaker on returning to retire.

The Permanent Fund Dividend (aka "check each year from the government") isn't enough to offset the higher cost of living. It is actually a great example of capitalism. A percentage of the royalty payments are invested each year all over the US (stocks, bonds, commercial property). A portion of the income from those investments are returned to Alaska's citizens each year (and the state Constitution article which established it makes it impossible for greedy legislators from getting their hands on the corpus). Just like the dividends many folks get from their stocks.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.