Jurisdiction of the multi-modal recreation paths in TV

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Gold member
Default Jurisdiction of the multi-modal recreation paths in TV

In numerous posts in the past, it has been noted that the Sheriff’s Department currently does not have jurisdiction to issue traffic violations on the multi-modal paths. They do have jurisdiction of the roads within TV because they are maintained by the county and are open to the public.

But the paths are private and are intended for the exclusive use of TV residents. However, according to Florida Statute 316.006 any municipality can agree to transfer traffic regulatory authority of areas within the municipality to the county. And in this opinion letter from the Attorney General to the city of Hollywood Florida, such jurisdiction can include areas that are not open to the public.

So it appears to me that traffic law jurisdiction of the multi-modal paths could be turned over to the counties. But that would probably require a coordinated inter local agreement between all of the CDDs in TV and the respective counties.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Platinum member

Are you asking if The Villages contracted this service?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 AM

The Villages has done this (in 2002) with regard to Azteca loop and perhaps other villa streets as well. Villa streets are the property of the CDD and the CDD is responsible for their maintenance and repair. The Sheriff is granted the authority to patrol villa roads by Florida Statutes and by written agreement with the District. I don't know where the funding comes from, maybe our amenity fees? I suppose the same agreement could be made regarding multi modal paths.

Last edited by chacam; 11-04-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

I recently asked a Sumter County Sheriff and was told that they have no authority over the paths. They said, what they do is wait till the path reaches a street then get the golf car.

Army Guy
Old 11-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
Are you asking if The Villages contracted this service?
No, just pointing out that they could do this in the future.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 AM

I was at an AAC meeting a couple of months ago and the issue of getting the police to be able to cover our cart paths was discussed. It seems that it would have taken new florida legislation in order to do this. It would cost TV about $90k ( or so I believe ) to pass this new law. It was discussed, and law enforcement on the paths was not seen as a major concern at this point, especially when the cost was factored in.

jeff
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.