Millipedes

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Default Millipedes

We are being infested with millipedes, the 1" long brown wormlike pests. We talked to the pest guy and he said he has done all he can. They have sprayed, applied granules, etc. Any other other suggestions?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Default Just a thought...

Do you by chance have any Oleander bushes in your yard or possibly your neighbors? Althought I absolutely love the beautiful colors of Oleander, they get orange/brown caterpillar's that multiply rapidly. They build their nest (cocoon) in the eves, under gutters, etc... They can literally make a mess of your home if not taken care of. We had two Oleanders at our previous home and our exterminator would spray them monthly to try and keep in under control. Google Oleander caterpillar to see what they look like. Only a thought...
Old 03-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Platinum member

I had them at my home in South Florida. They started in the pool and on the pool deck. Every day, we'd scoop out 15-20. They climbed the walls in the pool cage. Then we'd find them curled up in the closets. We tried EVERYTHING!!! The bug guy tried EVERYTHING!! Nothing worked. I really hate to say this, but we ended up selling the house....millipedes and all. I never found out what caused them. The neighbors had them, but I guess got used to them....not me YUCK
Old 03-26-2012, 10:54 PM

This may help you out. This link from University of Nebraska-Lincoln. You may have to copy/paste to work for you.

Centipedes and Millipedes
Old 03-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

My heart goes out to you, only those who have experienced the Hitchcock experience of the swarm of bugs can truly relate. Last week when I stayed at our new villa, by myself, I suffered through the invasion of the blind mosquitos, thousands and thousands swarming the garage and the outside of the house, and then thousands dead every morningm repeat next day. I almost went to a hotel. Then I heard about the Love Bugs coming and now the millipedes. My husband and I are sitting here in Seattle right now discussing how we have no bugs here, just some wasps and bees in late summer when you are doing the BBQ or eating outside. That is about it. If I have worms in the house at our new villa I will need to be sedated!
Tell me everyone, how DO you learn to cope and deal with such pests? It is one thing when they are outside, that is ucky enough, but inside? Worms in the closet? Worms in the pool? I never did like overnight guests too much!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:31 AM

I am having problems with millipedes ( I think) crawling around my pool deck and inside my pool. Deans services came and spray my house perimeter but they only disappeared for one day. They told me the heat will kill them. The problem is that they stain my pool! Last year I did not see them at all.
Does anyone have the same problem? How do u solve it? Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 09-26-2014, 10:30 AM

I also just noticed today an unusual number of these millipedes on my driveway and invading the garage. The university web site posted above mentioned using Sevin (carbamate insecticide) so I will go to Home Depot and try this spray and see if it works in controling them.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:31 AM

We had them for a season in S Florida but then they just went away. Some people call them blood worms I think. I wonder if they just have a cycle and then disappear and some years are worse when other years you hardly see them.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbear View Post
We had them for a season in S Florida but then they just went away. Some people call them blood worms I think. I wonder if they just have a cycle and then disappear and some years are worse when other years you hardly see them.
That's what Massey told me when I asked some 8 years ago. Nothing will stop them but time
Old 09-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Default Millipedes

The Universities consider them a beneficial insect. They need moisture and eat dead plant matter.. No natural enemies... Some years worse than others.. Some years none... Mostly disappear in day light hours... They are all on the same page ... When one come out of the ground all get the message..

Sometimes when the earth is being disturbed they head your way.. Building homes for example.

I had them so bad in Maryland.. I would actually use a snow shovel after a bad night of killing them.... I used diazinon or similar killer. They have a bad smell
But do not bite or cause any problems to the home.. They actually die almost instantly once inside the home... Roll up and turn to dust.

I think winters have a bearing on the population.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Garden Centipede/Milipede

Quote:
Originally Posted by steaknife View Post
We are being infested with millipedes, the 1" long brown wormlike pests. We talked to the pest guy and he said he has done all he can. They have sprayed, applied granules, etc. Any other other suggestions?
They seem to appear after storms - maybe the electrical current drives them out or they come out so they don't drown. I recently saw hundreds of them on a driveway where I was dog sitting in Gilchrest.
As for insecticides, pick up BENGAL concentrate at Home Depot and spray around foundation. You'll need a pump sprayer.
Good luck they are frustrating....
Old 09-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
I also just noticed today an unusual number of these millipedes on my driveway and invading the garage. The university web site posted above mentioned using Sevin (carbamate insecticide) so I will go to Home Depot and try this spray and see if it works in controling them.
Cannot be sure but I doubt Sevin will control them well but hopefully it does.

If not take a look at the other products on this site from which you can order and Sevin is listed but almost last. I do not see millipedes on the target list for Sevin. TALSTAR is usually a very good all purpose insecticide and millipedes are listed. This link will take you directly to millipede control products, good luck...

Had them once years ago in another state and had to get cattle fly spray with toxaphene to finally control them but I doubt it is available now.

Do It Yourself Pest Control Products & Supplies | Do My Own Pest Control

Last edited by KeepingItReal; 09-27-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Gold member

I've been reading threads these last few weeks regarding a variety of pests. Blind mosquitos, slugs, & now millipedes. I'm beginning to wonder if all this is happening near current construction. We are in an area that has been developed for approx. 15yrs and luckily we are not experiencing any of these critters.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Our area has been fully developed for 4-6 years and we see no unusual amount of bugs, just some gnats occasionally. We have lots of the little lizard guys and that may help some.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steaknife View Post

Alien invasion? Seriously though, we had them our first year here and not since.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.