??Music?? on the Squares

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscp@aol.com View Post
Can anyone tell me if they know of these bands and DJ's that are playing this coming weekend? 1)DJ Rick Mitchell, 2) Prairie Junction, 3) Bobby Iavo Trio, 4) Robert & Mandy France Duo, 5) Rick Voight Trio, 6) Second Slice. I like soft rock for the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and today's music. I don't like country.
This might help you. Copy and paste this into your browser.
http://www.thevillages.com/lifestyle/entertainment.asp
Then click on the Lifestyle button; then Entertainment
Old 08-04-2014, 10:06 AM

love your post ..
Old 08-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Gold member

You may want to point your finger at the bands rather than those who contract them. In talking with those in our village social group that contract live music for our monthly socials, they say that the prices that the bands have been charging is going way up in the past year. If the bands are charging a lot more, then it only stands to reason that a limited budget will have to make cuts and bring in cheaper solutions.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
You may want to point your finger at the bands rather than those who contract them. In talking with those in our village social group that contract live music for our monthly socials, they say that the prices that the bands have been charging is going way up in the past year. If the bands are charging a lot more, then it only stands to reason that a limited budget will have to make cuts and bring in cheaper solutions.
The more the bands earn, the more their agent earns and since he is married to the head of The Villages Entertainment, she has no incentive to cut the budget which cuts her husbands income. Vicious Circle. At the end of the day, the lessees will pay as long as they perceive a benefit. Also as long as the digital entertainment seems to entertain so many Villagers, it is not going to go away.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:48 AM

Last night, we heard Vinyl Recall at The Long Island Club function. They are fantastic. My husband asked why they aren't playing at the squares. They said they are working on it. I hope they get "picked" quickly.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejuca;919***
Last night, we heard Vinyl Recall at The Long Island Club function. They are fantastic. My husband asked why they aren't playing at the squares. They said they are working on it. I hope they get "picked" quickly.
Vinyl Recall would bring a lot of people to the squares. They are an awesome band.

IMHO - Entertainment at the squares has been downgraded, as they don't pay enough, for some of the performers. Don't forget, these people have to spend time setting up equipment, and then break it down, at the end of their gig. The amount they are paid is minimal, compared to the hours, they have worked. Hence we see people who have a computer and play canned music. Some performers use a computer for background music, and sing.

When TV entertainment department decides to pay more, maybe we will see an upgraded of performers, performing, at the squares.

I'm not holding my breath, waiting for upgrades. They know they have a captive audience

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2TV View Post
I guess I am just a big party pooper, but I would rather have fewer nights with entertainment if they are going to have a DJ. If money is an issue, have 1 live band each night at 1 of the squares, with DJ's at the other squares. Nothing against the DJs, but it just isn't what I would want. I agree that Scooter is the exception, but he really works the crowd.
Good suggestion.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

smrt-ass-jpg
Old 08-06-2014, 10:10 PM

VINYL RECALL is playing on Saturday, August 16th for The Saturday Night Dance Club at Captiva Recreation Center. This is a bring your own drink/snacks event, but the club serves coffee and dessert. Tickets are $5.00 per person. Call Chris at 352-633-2314 for tickets and information.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.