Music on the Squares

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2017, 09:19 PM
Platinum member
Default Music on the Squares

I was listening to some old classics today (70's& 80's) and it got me thinking.... There are some songs that groups on the squares never play. Are the play lists approved by The Villages Entertainment?

Last edited by Mleeja; 04-19-2017 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I was listening to some old classics today (70's& 80's) and it got me thinking.... There are some songs that groups on the squares never play. Are the play list approved by The Villages Entertainment?
I have not heard many 80's or 90's hits in The Villages. Would be nice, though...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
I have not heard many 80's or 90's hits in The Villages. Would be nice, though...

Petrina and Pink Impersonator Singer and Lookalike

If Petrina ever gets back to playing the squares, go see her. In the meantime it seems she fills her schedule with village club shows and golf country clubs and rec center performances. She's a great one woman show with a band in the box backup. When I first started seeing her about six years ago, I had no idea who Adell was but Petrina was singing her hits. She was the first and probably the only act to perform Lady Gaga. I'm a classic rock guy who owned over 4,000 albums before moving here, but it was refreshing to hear something new once in awhile and the way Petrina presents herself you'll be entertained.

She has a tremendous memory. Once she put a pair of her flashing glasses on my face, she sells them at her shows, then I hadn't been able to catch her act for a year and a half, and she saw me at a show and came up and asked, where are your glasses? She gets out and performs and mingles with the crowd during her show, she doesn't just stay on the stage. See the link above and you'll get an idea. She was for a while performing regular at the Waterfront Hotel and Bonifay Country Club. If you've see 'Just Mike' at City Fire, she is a female version of something like that.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

If Petrina ever gets back to playing the squares, go see her. In the meantime it seems she fills her schedule with village club shows and golf country clubs and rec center performances. She's a great one woman show with a band in the box backup. When I first started seeing her about six years ago, I had no idea who Adell was but Petrina was singing her hits. She was the first and probably the only act to perform Lady Gaga. I'm a classic rock guy who owned over 4,000 albums before moving here, but it was refreshing to hear something new once in awhile and the way Petrina presents herself you'll be entertained.

She has a tremendous memory. Once she put a pair of her flashing glasses on my face, she sells them at her shows, then I hadn't been able to catch her act for a year and a half, and she saw me at a show and came up and asked, where are your glasses? She gets out and performs and mingles with the crowd during her show, she doesn't just stay on the stage. See the link above and you'll get an idea. She was for a while performing regular at the Waterfront Hotel and Bonifay Country Club. If you've see 'Just Mike' at City Fire, she is a female version of something like that.
I agree, John. I have seen her many times and she is terrific! In general The Villages music on the squares is tailored to people who like 50's and 60's music. They have started to move into the 70's a bit, but we could use more of a variety. I have not heard any music from the 90's except for a few songs when Scooter djs. I do enjoy the music on the square!

Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 AM
Veteran member

To answer your question about the Entertainment Dept approving the playlist, no, they do not have any input on that. I performed with 3 For the Road for a couple years and we often played the Squares (as they still do, usually as 3 For the Road Plus 1 after adding a drummer) and there was no discussion of playlist. In fact, they are at Lake Sumter square tonite. Speak to one of the guys between sets and let them know what you would like to hear. They enjoy doing songs from different eras.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Platinum member

the 50s and 60s music isn't interesting to me, I wish more 70s on up music would be played
Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

In thirty years bands will be playing hits from the 80s and 90s. Until then I am very happy with songs from the 50s and 60s. OK, maybe a few from the 70s.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Eternal Member

We really like Mark Seymour and also his band, Second Slice.
He and they play a nice mix and do lot of the new popular songs.

Last edited by Bonny; 04-20-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:18 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

Dunning Shaw sings Adele & Lady Gaga really good.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
In thirty years bands will be playing hits from the 80s and 90s. Until then I am very happy with songs from the 50s and 60s. OK, maybe a few from the 70s.
I get that, but there are many many Villagers who grew up listening to 70's and 80's music. Would be nice to have a broader variety of music. 50's music is for my parents!

Old 04-20-2017, 03:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsdavis View Post
To answer your question about the Entertainment Dept approving the playlist, no, they do not have any input on that. I performed with 3 For the Road for a couple years and we often played the Squares (as they still do, usually as 3 For the Road Plus 1 after adding a drummer) and there was no discussion of playlist. In fact, they are at Lake Sumter square tonite. Speak to one of the guys between sets and let them know what you would like to hear. They enjoy doing songs from different eras.
Thanks for your reply! I play golf with the father of a person that preforms on the squares. He confirmed there is no restriction on the play lists. I would like to see a group with a male and female singer do a rendition of "Paradise by the Dashboard Light". I think it would be fun. However, you certainly can't linedance to this song so not all would like it!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:46 PM
Sage
Default Petrina, A+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
I agree, John. I have seen her many times and she is terrific! In general The Villages music on the squares is tailored to people who like 50's and 60's music. They have started to move into the 70's a bit, but we could use more of a variety. I have not heard any music from the 90's except for a few songs when Scooter djs. I do enjoy the music on the square!

Agree with both Fraugoofy and John, I have seen Petrina perform a few times during my visits to TV; she puts on a great show!
Old 04-22-2017, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Supposedly the first time in The Villages @ Spanish Springs tonight was a group called American Martians. Well they are now my Favorite Martians. They were on the money and mixed it up well. They started playing Led Zeppelin song that nobody liked and they transitioned into something that got everyone moving again. Fantastic. 8 to 10 song Beatles tribute at the end, almost as good as the Beatlemaniacs if they practice for another couple of years. Did I say we were impressed?
Old 04-23-2017, 06:40 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I thought Johnny Wild and The Delights were really good. A nice twist on older songs.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Supposedly the first time in The Villages @ Spanish Springs tonight was a group called American Martians. Well they are now my Favorite Martians. They were on the money and mixed it up well. They started playing Led Zeppelin song that nobody liked and they transitioned into something that got everyone moving again. Fantastic. 8 to 10 song Beatles tribute at the end, almost as good as the Beatlemaniacs if they practice for another couple of years. Did I say we were impressed?
Yes I liked this group last night also. Good musicians and entertainers. Unfortunately they did not get off to a good start. The sound mix for the first set was awful. The vocals were too low. It looked like a new sound guy on the booth last night. Then they didn't do their homework Vs the crowd they were playing to. Almost exclusively 80's music. I enjoyed the change but the average age here in The Villages is mid 60's. 80's and 90's music hits the early 50 year old crowd. A little better mix of walking through 60's 70's and 80's I think would play better here. I would like to hear from others that seen them last night.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, songs, entertainment, thinking, groups

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.