Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
You forgot the disclaimer.

You a Michigan fan too?
Old 09-01-2015, 07:55 AM
Sage

There are actually two issues. Regarding the pitch of the roads, the location of catch basins, and the location and number of retention ponds, the developer appears to have consistently done a competent job. I say this because I see virtually no flooding of the roads, at least where I am, during very heavy rains. The second issue is the grading of the lots and the determination of where french drains need to be installed and the competency of the installation. In this regard, there are numerous examples of a mediocre job. I have seen dozens of instances where french drains were retroactively installed in my Village and at least one example where a french drain was initially installed but had to be redone because of poor installation. You might be temped to say "well they came back and installed them where they were needed". The issue is that you can now see exactly where they were retroactively installed because of poor regrading and sod installation. In addition, warranty has, in some cases, only agreed to address the issues after much back and forth with the homeowners.

Quote:
The only thing I'm high on, is a hill. Many house's at the bottom of our street with perpetual soggy lawns that the developer refuses to fix. Areas that should have remained wetlands, not developed. But, profit rules and the poor schmucks who didn't do their due diligence suffer.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:12 AM
Sage
Default Of the new neighborhoods...

Quote:
The only thing I'm high on, is a hill. Many house's at the bottom of our street with perpetual soggy lawns that the developer refuses to fix. Areas that should have remained wetlands, not developed. But, profit rules and the poor schmucks who didn't do their due diligence suffer.
Ahh. Such a positive attitude. Now I understand your earlier post.

By the way, that would have been a great retort if you'd stopped after your first sentence. Now it's just calling your neighbors names.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:18 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

If you look at Google earth and then click on show historical imagery back to 1994, you can see what was built on what.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:19 AM
Default Of the new neighborhoods...

Old 09-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Ahh. Such a positive attitude. Now I understand your earlier post.

By the way, that would have been a great retort if you'd stopped after your first sentence. Now it's just calling your neighbors names.

Poor schmuck is a regional term not in this case used as a pejorative. If you were from NYC you'd understand. But your not.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Scmuck here.
We love our new home (2012) below 466A.
No flooding but we do have insurance even if the pool overflows and water comes inside.
I suggest you check out Mount Dora for high area. Not quite as high as McKinley
But keep looking.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Poor schmuck is a regional term not in this case used as a pejorative. If you were from NYC you'd understand. But your not.
I hope all of your neighbors are from NYC so they understand.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Veteran member

Lake County millage rate is 50% higher than Sumter if that is a concern for you.
Sumter is 12.2918 VS Lake is 18.5763.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:17 PM
Veteran member

Oh my, I didn't realize what I had done . When I was typing this thread I thought it was fairly innocuous. Apparently I was mistaken.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioSquared View Post
There is a LaBelle website for LaBelle residents though. It lists social activities, etc. It doesn't detail properties in LaBelle if that's what you were after.
I'd be interested in knowing how to find this website since we purchased in Labelle North.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
There are actually two issues. Regarding the pitch of the roads, the location of catch basins, and the location and number of retention ponds, the developer appears to have consistently done a competent job. I say this because I see virtually no flooding of the roads, at least where I am, during very heavy rains. The second issue is the grading of the lots and the determination of where french drains need to be installed and the competency of the installation. In this regard, there are numerous examples of a mediocre job. I have seen dozens of instances where french drains were retroactively installed in my Village and at least one example where a french drain was initially installed but had to be redone because of poor installation. You might be temped to say "well they came back and installed them where they were needed". The issue is that you can now see exactly where they were retroactively installed because of poor regrading and sod installation. In addition, warranty has, in some cases, only agreed to address the issues after much back and forth with the homeowners.
You hit the nail on the head! I agree 100% with your assessment of the situation in many areas south of 466A. I lived just north of 466A for 3+ years, and although the area was very flat (St. James), the drainage couldn't have been better. The lots were well prepared, and there was no real amount of standing water on lots just hours after the tropical storm came through in June of 2012. The lot that I live on here is a disgrace. I have an absolute river on both sides of my house when we have a heavy rain, and the yard has standing water for days after a rain.

Every neighbor on our block except for one is having water problems, and Villages Warranty is doing a great job of avoiding the obvious - poor design and grading. All but one on my block has attempted to get Villages Warranty to do something, and nothing of any significance has been done.

The houses across the street had the same problems, but a woman in one of the houses would come out and warn prospective buyers about the drainage problems (in the presence of their realtors). After a few weeks of this, the Villages decided to run a French drain behind the houses. Of course, this only works if there are still a number of homes left for sale in the neighborhood

While I love my neighbors, and my home (excepting the yard), I certainly would never buy south of 466A again, knowing what I know now. I certainly would advise prospective buyers to carefully examine lots after a rain, and if there appears to be a drainage problem, look elsewhere!! You will be fighting an uphill battle trying to get The Villages to fix it.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Veteran member

We love Sunset Pointe. We are close to Sumter Landing and in the geographical center of The Villages.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
???????

In our neighborhood which is three years old, three properties had standing water at the beginning and those problems were quickly solved by the developer. I hope we will hear from other people who had their problems solved.

We think it is wonderful that some bright people took some swamp land and fixed it up and sold it to a lot of people. It is the American way.

I eagerly bought here and so did over a hundred thousand other people without a gun to our heads and most of us are satisfied.
Well, this is 2015, and things have definitely changed. Maybe because they have more than they can handle, things are not handled quickly. Most of the people in our neighborhood are facing their year warranties running out and are nervous, upset, and unhappy.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:05 AM
Sage

Make sure you have a warranty claim "on record" with the warranty department before your year is out. They honored a warranty claim more than a year after our settlement date (although they did it kicking and screaming, metaphorically)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnygram View Post
Well, this is 2015, and things have definitely changed. Maybe because they have more than they can handle, things are not handled quickly. Most of the people in our neighborhood are facing their year warranties running out and are nervous, upset, and unhappy.
Closed Thread

Tags
neighborhoods, dunedin, labelle, thinking, pine, hills…i, osceola, ridge, toured, investigated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.