New Shopping Mall????

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Send a message via ICQ to Lynn222

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
For the life of me I cannot understand why we need more stores. People cannot even figure what to give for Christmas anymore. That is why gift cards are so prevalent. Due to the demographics and particularly income levels, I doubt a Mall Developer would find it attractive to move here.
Get this...I received 9 gift cards for Christmas. No"gifts in a box". I got a total of $100 in Dunkin Donut gift cards.....I can't eat that many donuts.

Lynn Baldacci
Life is not necessarily drawing a good hand but playing a bad hand well.
Baltimore, Maryland
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Richmond, Virginia
The Villages...met a man the first month - got married 2-1/2 years later...who knew I would move to The Villages and meet a husband!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Veteran member
Default not a mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
Not true here are two new malls being built from the ground up within 5 miles of each other both opening in 2013 plus they are within 3 miles of an ongoing Chesterfield Mall Chesterfield Mayor Voices Concern Over Dual Outlet Malls - Chesterfield, MO Patch
outlet malls are not regional malls; there are no major department stores as anchors, and are usually populated with out of date/overstock/or just stuff that the regular stores could not get rid of. in Philadelphia we have a huge outlet mall, Franklin Mills. The turnover of stores is constant, with empty storefronts all the time. And bargains....well, you can do better at Wal-mart, Target, or even Macy's. And there is a Wal-mart on the property but is free-standing.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 PM

The Contractors are the ones getting together and making plans to start another development. They are not starting it until The Villages is complete. This will keep the contractors in business and keep the economy in this area going for the suppliers of the materials. Great idea. Projection from a person in the design portion of the one of the material suppliers is another 1.5 to up to 3 years. Sure a lot will depend on the sale of new homes in The Villages. Understand this development may not be limited to 55 and over.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn222 View Post
Get this...I received 9 gift cards for Christmas. No"gifts in a box". I got a total of $100 in Dunkin Donut gift cards.....I can't eat that many donuts.
I still shop for gifts and normally give 1 gift card as a stocking stuffer for food. I love going through a mall at Christmas. In fact this is the first year I didn't and wish there were one around.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,484 Times in 1,900 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am sure that the Developers have the land and would build with a contract from a company that does Malls. BUT the economy is down and not too many such businesses are expanding.

You don't just tell someone to rent from you because the people nearby think they want a business, there has to be valid research on the support of new business and a committment from the company that would run the Mall..

Lots of Malls across U.S. are in trouble and stores are going dark.

I am sure if the developer could find business for a mall they would build it and lease it out.

Related story about where new malls in world are being built;

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoz...alls-in-china/

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-31-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am sure that the Developers have the land and would build with a contract from a company that does Malls. BUT the economy is down and not too many such businesses are expanding.

You don't just tell someone to rent from you because the people nearby think they want a business, there has to be valid research on the support of new business and a committment from the company that would run the Mall..

Lots of Malls across U.S. are in trouble and stores are going dark.

I am sure if the developer could find business for a mall they would build it and lease it out.

Related story about where new malls in world are being built;

Guess Where Over Half The World's New Malls Are Being Built - Forbes
"IF" any new businesses are coming to T.V.---we all will hear about it in the same place (The Villages Sun, comes to mind)...rather than by rumor. Yes folks will talk with someone, who'd talked to someone else who really knows because (insert the reason). I agree with Gracie on this post, especially. I've been to the mall in Leesburg and in Ocala, not sure that yet another one will flourish here for the same reasons, as theirs having empty store-fronts.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Default Shopping Mall

I maybe in the minority but I wish there was a shopping mall close by - I was not impressed with Paddock Mall - it would be great to have other like a Macy's - not just Belk and Bealls!
Old 07-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWRDW View Post
I maybe in the minority but I wish there was a shopping mall close by - I was not impressed with Paddock Mall - it would be great to have other like a Macy's - not just Belk and Bealls!
I'm with you. Paddock Mall was just so so.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
For the life of me I cannot understand why we need more stores. People cannot even figure what to give for Christmas anymore. That is why gift cards are so prevalent. Due to the demographics and particularly income levels, I doubt a Mall Developer would find it attractive to move here.
It's just me, but I can't get excited about a Macy's may be moving here. Good store, but how many times a year would I visit it? Probably once at the most. Major malls cannot be supported by just TV and Wildwood. Now restaurants are a different ball game and good ones will be visited often by residents.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Platinum member

I'd go to Macy's once a week.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:38 PM

I too have heard the "rumors" of a mall. But I did get this from TV's commercial development site.

Antrim Dells
Antrim Dells is a 500,000 square feet power center in the development phase that will neighbor Brownwood on State Rd 44.

Antrim Dells is the same ones that have the Dillard's mall in Ocala. I have heard if we do get a mall it won't be a large or enclosed mall. But who knows, if ... when... or what stores.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
I'd go to Macy's once a week.
That's a lot of dresses for your dogs!
Old 07-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,296 Times in 534 Posts

Mall rumors have "floated about" for the last eight years that we have lived full and part-time in TV. The per capita income of soon to be 120,000 TV residents and surrounding communities of a like number could draw such building near Brownwood. It is more likely to be an Open Mall with anchor stores rather than a covered Mall. Only time will tell but meantime just rumors.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
That's a lot of dresses for your dogs!
When you have six it's not easy.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
First off it bugs me that people denigrate the developer for NOT building more stores so that we can shop till we drop. I would love to keep the open spaces we have now. Instead of shopping let's provide space for migrating birds and the wildlife that was displaced building TV. Personally seeing white pelicans or an eagle soar is far more exciting than shopping. There is first class shopping only one hour away in Orlando and the crime that comes along with it.
Wholeheartedly.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.